[14x01] November 15th, 2009

[14x01] November 15th, 2009

• Total voters
I just found out my housemate's off to Romania next week. He's already told me that I won't fit in his hand luggage.

What a coincidence... Motor Trend took a few Hyundai Genesises to that road (cross-euro road trip) in their December issue.

I just found out my housemate's off to Romania next week. He's already told me that I won't fit in his hand luggage.

What's he visiting?

Dunno. I don't ask him about work, in case he tells me. At length. Apparently he's just going to Bucharest and won't be driving. Lunatic.

It was a better than expected episode, but still only a 7/10.
The show still doesn't flow like it used to, too much scripting and rehashing old jokes (how many Dacia jokes do they need in a season?).
Eric Bana's appearance was refreshing, always been a fan of his. Good to hear he is rebuilding the beast.
The drive in Romania wasn't bad, though some of the "incidents" were poorly executed.
I have to say I would love that Ferrari it ticked all the right boxes for me except price and tranny. The Lambo not far behind, the only thing the Aston had going for it was it had a manual gearbox.
The drive in the tunnels under the people's palace was awesome, the sound of those cars...ohhh

The BMW vs Merc review was ok, a lot less messing about and more of a review would have been good, after all these are the flagship models here, I'd like to see a proper review, like Jeremy did a few years back with the previous model S-Class. In saying that, first time the 7 series got my vote.

The BMW vs Merc review was ok, a lot less messing about and more of a review would have been good, after all these are the flagship models here, I'd like to see a proper review, like Jeremy did a few years back with the previous model S-Class. In saying that, first time the 7 series got my vote.

I'd like to see how the BMW and Merc flagship sedans
compare against the Porsche Panera. (ooops, I meant
Panamera.... but Panera tastes better):mrgreen:

Speaking of those three sedans, which one is faster
from 0mph to 155mph? The Bimmer, Merc, or Porsche?

Last edited:
The TG writers should step away from the current formula and re-watch some of the old segments they did like the Phantom review. I don't care for the latest "wacky" challenge to country XYZ. To me it feels like they're trapped in a formula that got old in 2007.

The original S-Class review in 08x04 was quite good, but the current S-Class and 7-Series seem to be mostly refinements of the technologies that were "new" in 2006 so I can understand why they mostly glossed over them while highlighting the handful of truly "new" ones like BMW's "Rabbit Vision".

And I agree the RR Phantom review in 02x02 was truly brilliant. JC did a decent job with the Bentley Continental GT in 03x03 and I rotfl when he did the Brooklands in 11x03, but neither matched the...class...of the Phantom review.

got a few quick questions/thoughts:

(1)
who is the hot female presenter in the Romanian version of Top Gear? :)

(2)
if Romania is in such sorry shape, how did them manage to gain entry in to the EU in the first place?

(3)
what's the name of the dam where they slept in the cars?

(4)
am I the only one who skips over the "celebrity in a reasonably priced car" segment" most of the time? :D

(5)
who drove the Merc?(while James and Stig were in the Bimmer)

(6)
does the Lambo's navigation system really not have Romania in the list of countries?

(7)
who paid for the damages to the Lambo's front end?

Predictable and boring. Top Gear jumped the shark about 6 seasons ago. I keep watching hoping they'll get better but it's the same contrived humour over and over. I'd be curious to know if they still have the same writers now as they did pre-season 8. Every hit TV show eventually gets old and the smart ones know when to quit on top, looks like Top Gear will be around for a while.

If you don't like it then don't watch it,but then what will you have to whinge about if you don't watch TG ?

The TG writers should step away from the current formula and re-watch some of the old segments they did like the Phantom review. I don't care for the latest "wacky" challenge to country XYZ. To me it feels like they're trapped in a formula that got old in 2007.

Predictable and boring. Top Gear jumped the shark about 6 seasons ago. I keep watching hoping they'll get better but it's the same contrived humour over and over. I'd be curious to know if they still have the same writers now as they did pre-season 8. Every hit TV show eventually gets old and the smart ones know when to quit on top, looks like Top Gear will be around for a while.
Agreed. Disappointed, I always do this to myself. I get excited about new seasons/episodes and then they seem to never meet my expectations. Only episode I liked from season 13 was episode 5. I know this opinion is not popular here, but I don't care. I'll always keep watching for the few I like, they're worth it.

(3)

It's called Vidraru Dam - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vidraru_Dam
Transfagarasan actually goes on top of it, you can see here http://turismarges.wordpress.com/2009/05/16/baraj-vidraru-vaporase-agrement/ and it's very close to the real Dracula Castle, the Poenari Fortress http://www.romanianmonasteries.org/romania/vidraru .
The best part of the road has closed down 2 weeks ago, for the winter - though some guys were crazy enough to ignore it - you can see a short video here http://www.transfagarasan.net/ :-o

I'd like to see how the BMW and Merc flagship sedans
compare against the Porsche Panera. (ooops, I meant
Panamera.... but Panera tastes better)

I'd like their opinion on how it was on the Romanian Grand Tour. I'd bet it was as good as the other 3 on the good roads, and better on the crappy roads. Sure is one helluva support car...

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the way they hung the camera gear off the roof of the Panamera out over the front bumper. Looked like it should fall on its nose. Love the reflections of the Panamera in the side of James' Lambo - best the Porsche has ever looked... Distorted a lot more in the Aston shots.

Great episode, but some of the stuff presented as "accidental" or spontaneous annoyed me coz I like to pretend it does just happen. So I laugh when James is upset over the Dacia, I laugh at Hammond's phone calls, but pulling over for the night 10 feet before the road ends in an epic wall of concrete? How do I pretend that happened?:blink: And it would have been cool if they just arrived at the dead end to face that wall.

I wish there was enough time for them to have the trio driving on the Ceau?escu Highway with commentary, like in the search for Europe's greatest road episode.

(1)
who is the hot female presenter in the Romanian version of Top Gear? :)

(2)
if Romania is in such sorry shape, how did them manage to gain entry in to the EU in the first place?

(3)

(4)
am I the only one who skips over the "celebrity in a reasonably priced car" segment" most of the time? :D

(5)
who drove the Merc?(while James and Stig were in the Bimmer)

(6)
does the Lambo's navigation system really not have Romania in the list of countries?

(7)
who paid for the damages to the Lambo's front end?

1. It wasn't a romanian show, it was in russian - have no idea who she is.
2. It is a car show, meant to entertain not to show the shape of Romania. I can assure you the gypsy village bit could have been cut out - and more time on tranfagarasan showed. The road from Bucharest to Transfagarasan is all asphalt - the village bit was a detour just for the "show".
3. Vidraru Dam.
4. me too...:)
6. Yes, and it's actually the vw group that ignores romania in this aspect. I guess they dont sell this features (navigation - romanian maps) as much and don't invest in improving it. There are of course alternatives - Igo or miomap that run on pdas that are quite good. (TomTom doesn't have eastern europe coverd either...)
7:I'm pretty sure they have assurance...

Just want to make it clear: this road is closed 7-8 month a year (covered with 3 meters of snow...), it is only open from July till October - anyone planning a trip should be aware of that - so you wont be disappointed.
Someone said that it seems that tranfagarasan could have been straighter... well, the camera can't capture altitude...
Of course it is a car show - transfagarasan has a lot more to surprise you than the tg showed. Haha... transfagarasan if called "TFG" short...
And yes, Jeremy, we say yes to your question (can you stay. forever...). We can even arrange for you a place in that village you just had to go to...:mrgreen::lol:

So was it just me that liked the village then? Bit of excitement for those kids, and everyone seemed very happy. I spend so much time with miserable whiny sods (can't get away from 'em, cause I am one), I like to see cheerful people.