[14x06] December 27th, 2009 [South America Special]

[14x06] December 27th, 2009 [South America Special]

• Total voters
This is why you don't rate all of the humdrum episodes from earlier this series a 9 or 10. It dilutes when an episode actually is a 10.

This was good. Home run out of the park. No cocking about with any of Stig's cousins, some serious interaction with the car problems, and quite a few gen-you-wine "oh crap" moments.

Top Gear is back on track. More of this, and topgear will never be in peril :thumbup:

When Clarkson was going over the road of death, and he was passing that white SUV..

All I kept thinking was:

"his wife is gonna kill him!"

And the bug getting into Richards car towards the beginning...I had tears rolling down my face!!

Brilliant episode. On the same level of the other specials, I can't pick up one, maybe just the North Pole one was slightly better but who cares, I can have the whole lot!

The thing I liked the most was that everything felt really genuine like Jeremy scared to death in the death road and Hammond with the insect (I don't think he was acting). Maybe they could have avoided the Land Cruiser taking fire, that was the only thing that felt forced. When the Toyota rolls over....I agree with people that say that they need a way out because of course Hammond couldn't descend that hill with the Toyota so I'm ok with that.

Clarkson passing that white Sequoia had me worried... epic episode. Oh, and all the people saying Hammond was overacting with the insect(s), he wasn't. I have that phobia and my reactions even stun me sometimes. It's a horrible feeling. :(

10/10 for sure.

:)

great special! a close second behind the Polar Challenge if you ask me but absolutely brilliant and does a good job propping up the rest of the series, which has been a bit sub par

Very good episode, probably the best this series!! I have a question though: What cars were the crew using?

The camera work was just brilliant. I do wonder what the camera crew were driving.

Id also like to know what they were driving for the support cars. Anyone knows ? Someone mentioned the newer Land Cruised but I cannot find it.

Last edited:
I simply can not believe of Clarkson passing that white sequoia. He was quite literally millimeters from plunging to his death. After he passed did I realize I was holding my breath.
This episode truly has been fantastic - none other than the HD does it justice.

Last edited:
This Bolivian special would have to be one of the best specials yet, 10/10 from me.

And what the heck was that at 49min56sec ? a man wearing a zebra costume with a raincoat over the top of it directing traffic at a zebra crossing with a zebra flag?

I winced a little at the shots of them plowing mercilessly through the rainforest. While I'm not an ecomentalist by any means, I'm surprised that the BBC, the same people who brought us "Planet Earth," would show this sort of abuse of one of the most diverse and fragile ecosystems on Earth. Unless it was exaggerated as to not bring about plenty of flak and that it was really filmed with more caution than we see on TV.

I wouldn't be shocked, however, if Land Rover decides to spin an advertising campaign out of this. Brits really are the most well-traveled people on the planet (you know, aside from all that imperialism :p).

And yes, right now I'm on eBay scouring for cheap FJ40s.

9/10 easy

10 is impossible so 9 is the best it can get.
Also, (and I may be biased because I've only just seen the ep), this was IMO the best of all the "special"s

I've also been in the exact same situation Jeremy was in on the waterfall (albeit in far less spectacular surroundings), and I must admit "poop is coming out" crossed the mind

Last edited:
9/10. The rainforest bit seemed to drag on just a bit too much. Otherwise, very good.

Also, :lmao: at what Jezza was listening to while the others had their spines ruined for the first time... (Thank you WTS!)

Will Young, of course!

First 10/10 I've given out in over 2 seasons I think. That was brilliantly epic. Shame that Richard's Toyota didn't make it. I really do feel sorry for him. Wouldn't have been as tragic if it was closer to the beginning.

Hats off and a moment of silence for that Toyota? I think so.

Wow.

Such a great episode, this is what Top Gear is known for. This episode instantly went on my list of favourite Top Gear episodes.

This Bolivian special would have to be one of the best specials yet, 10/10 from me.

And what the heck was that at 49min56sec ? a man wearing a zebra costume with a raincoat over the top of it directing traffic at a zebra crossing with a zebra flag?

Having just recently been to Bolivia I can answer that. It is a programme of the Bolivian Government to teach Bolivians how Zebra crossings work (both pedestrians and drivers)

Also people start to suffer the effects of altitude sickness from about 2,500 m. It effects people differently, generally if you are old, sick, overweight you get affected worse (and at lower altitudes).

As for the episode it was good. Although I wish they went to salar de Uyuni although sometimes the antics of Hammond went overboard.

Last edited: