Someone Else's Problem: 15ft of sensibleness: My new Octavia

I did have to top off halfway through the first two year oil cycle, but not during the second or the current third cycle... I guess some oil drinkery is normal for a new TSI, it holds its Castrol well now.

I do the servicing at a VW/Audi dealer with VW/Audi/Skoda service... mostly for convenience reasons. I drop off a car in the morning, they drive me to work, drive me back in the afternoon, I pick up a car, drive home.
They've done a decent job so far as well, for example by discovering I had more years of warranty than I expected instead of just charging me :clap:

I did go to a Skoda-only service thingy a long time ago, when someone touched the Octavia inappropriately with his trailer hitch... they weren't very helpful, so I didn't return.

Last edited:
No idea what my engine had in it when it was delivered, but it used a bit of oil in the first 10,000km or so before the first oil change. About 3 dl I'd say. I topped up twice. Anyway, at about 10k they put Mobil in it, and the level hasn't moved as far as I can tell. I'm at a smidge under 15k now.

It's pretty common in any new car (especially a GDI motor) to burn a some oil in the first 5-10,000 miles.

The winter boots are on, all is well. Hadn't driven the Octavia in over two months, and again I'm amazed by how quiet this thing is :eek:

The winter boots are on, all is well. Hadn't driven the Octavia in over two months, and again I'm amazed by how quiet this thing is :eek:

And I'm again amazed that you think the Octavia is quiet. :blink:

Yes, the CAXA powerplant is quiet and smooth, but tire noise is pretty bad, at least when the surface is worn... which it usually is, around here. That's what happens when pretty much everyone uses studded tyres all winter long. It's a lot better on freshly paved asphalt (of course) but I would still not consider it anywhere near quiet.

I think that's a Finnish thing. I mostly drove it with the Continental TS830s freshly swapped on, and there was the usual rubber squealing on the first few hundred metres of basalt and sett paving stones, but after that it was smooth sailing.

I think that's a Finnish thing.

Coarse road surfaces is a Nordic thing for sure because of our climate and most people's choice of winter tyres, but it's not a problem if the car isn't badly noise insulated to begin with.

I wouldn't call the mk2 Octavia quiet by any stretch of the imagination, on any surface. It's mediocre at best.

:dunno: quietest car I've ever owned, and maybe even driven. Slightly unfair though because good contenders on the rental front have been diesels of course. The 1.2TSI Mk7 Golf is about as quiet, but was thrashed at top speed so again hard to compare... at idle the 1.2 was worse.

Large difference of course is that in Finland engine rarely produces any audible noises after the car is moving. Tire noise dominates and conceals all other sources. I've met plenty of satisfied Octavia driver's, but nobody of then has ever praised the sound insulation in these conditions... :)

Large difference of course is that in Finland engine rarely produces any audible noises after the car is moving. Tire noise dominates and conceals all other sources. I've met plenty of satisfied Octavia driver's, but nobody of then has ever praised the sound insulation in these conditions... :)

The engine IS very quiet, I've never claimed otherwise. And it helps too that you don't need to be over, say, 2500rpm unless you're in a hurry. It's tire noise that lets the car down, just like so many other cars. The old Mazda 3 and 6 were known for this too, to name two.

I've had studded winter tyres on every car I've owned before. The last V70 I had had Hakka 7's, no problem there. The same tires were under the Octavia when I bought it and I couldn't stand it. I sold them after the first winter and bought studless R2's instead. It was ever that or a lifetime supply of earplugs. I'm probably going to get new summer rubber come spring, and I'll shop around for quiet ones. Apparently Good Year has a really nice model out now.

It's a very unfair comparison since the base price of a V70 is about twice that of an Octavia, but I'm just trying to say that anyone that tries to claim that an Octavia is quiet haven't driven a quiet car. Sorry, narf. :p And I'm going to stop hijacking your thread now.

Last edited:
Maybe it's not quiet under Finnish conditions, but then the furthest north my Octavia has been is 57.74?N, aka the top of Denmark, so I wouldn't care :dunno: why carry hundreds of kilos of insulation around here when you don't need them? The V70 is a bit larger, but around 300kg heavier.

Oh, and I have driven a V70.

Last edited:
Maybe it's not quiet under Finnish conditions, but then the furthest north my Octavia has been is 57.74?N, aka the top of Denmark, so I wouldn't care :dunno: why carry hundreds of kilos of insulation around here when you don't need them? The V70 is a bit larger, but around 300kg heavier.

Oh, and I have driven a V70.

I'm just saying that the Octavia isn't a quiet car. It's like calling a Citigo a big car. It's simply invalid. :dunno:

Ok, I'll give up now.

Yeah, I never meant to comment engine insulation, only the tire noise. TSIs definitely are quiet, especially thanks to the good low down torque :)

Yeah, Finnish, stud-ripped asphalt is never quiet to drive on except for the first months after getting laid. (..)