Votes: 55 14.4%

Votes: 24 6.3%

Votes: 9 2.3%

Votes: 5 1.3%

Votes: 1 0.3%

Votes: 2 0.5%

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
Anyone else catch the heisenberg reference in the 458, it was subtle, and probably unintentional :p

Missed this the first time round, but on rewatching I was struck by the choice of song for the Stig's lap in the Peugeot - or more to the point, the lyrics:

I feel beneath the White
There is a red skin suffering
From centuries of taming

Kings of the Wild Frontier, Adam and the Ants

Pretty appropriate for the Stig, perhaps?

Anyone else catch the heisenberg reference in the 458, it was subtle, and probably unintentional :p

Yup. The car that can not know where it is and how fast it is going at the same time :nod:

Some of the Ferrari engineers built in a lovely in-joke :clap:

No ... time? context?

Yup. The car that can not know where it is and how fast it is going at the same time :nod:

Ah! :lol:

Last edited:
When he mentions about the speed/position, either you know your speed and not position, or you know your position and don't know the speed :p

Get over yourself. Yes, one car you didn't like was featured. Yes, you revel in being ignorant about history and being willfully ignorant about things like industrial collapse. Not everyone does.

If people don't like certain products, the companies that are producing them are going down. Boohoo. And if YOU wouldn't be oblivious to history, you would know that this is nothing new. On a side note: Detroit was going down because AMERICANS didn't buy those cars. And if they didn't want them, who else should, and why? If I look at American cars from the 80s... What pieces of sh-- they produced. I think after 2000 there was sort of a big turnaround. Still, compared to German or Japanese cars, American cars are oversized and too showy. I cannot picture a lawyer or a doctor in Europe, driving an American car. Where I live, American cars mean SHOW. Right now, there is actually a Hummer parked outside of my house, I think it's an H2. And I know, the owner doesn't have to worry about something like a reputation. Otherwise he wouldn't drive that car.

My favorite American car is the Ford Mustang. Regular, factory model. No crazy tuning, Cobra or whatever. I heard that they are tinkering with the looks of that car. Making it rounder, cutting edges... If they ruin this great car, it's their own f--- fault.

Top Gear is about great cars and entertainment. That's right, I don't care about dead race drivers or collapsing industries. There are so many of them, they could turn it into a depressing series. If I want to be depressed, I watch the news. Everything is changing, soon there might be cars from China or even India everywhere on the roads. How about electric cars? Like they would come from America. So many technologies that were basically handed over to Asia. These days: What is not produced in China??? And that means that more companies and industries will go down. Is Top Gear supposed to turn that into a weekly documentary, the weekly whining?

"Oh, me big knowledge about history, cause I like to lament the inevitable." <_< Pff.

History. The SLS, that is pure history. Based on an iconic classic.

---

Like I wrote, for me the production of the show has improved in this series. They did cut out all the comic book special effects, that were ridiculous. The overall filming looks classy. Sometimes too dark on top, too dramatic. Tom Cruise was definitely a highlight of SIARPC. But it might be locals too, as long as they're funny or entertaining. Jeff Goldblum was kind of weird (like always). My request for SIARPC would be Her Majesty The Queen..., Elton John. :lol: JOKING, it's a joke. The last two News segments..., I don't know what that was, it wasn't the news. James May returning to the Veyron was good. I can't believe this was already the last episode for this summer.

Not having the SLS in this series was a definite letdown!

Damn I didn't catch that. :( But to be pedantic, the car probably measures both the position and speed all the time, only the driver can't access both values at the same time. And speaking of pedantic...

When he mentions about the speed/position, either you know your speed and not position, or you know your position and don't know the speed :p

Heisenberg only postulated that you can't know the absolute speed and absolute position, both values can only be measured with errors

sigma_x * sigma_p >= h_bar/2.

Not that you could only measure one or the other :p Also the precision of both the speedometer and the gps are... ok I'll just stop now ;)

err on topic: great episode, stunning 358 film (and car), nice british sports car challenge (thank god they didn't introduce a fake scoreboard at the end), and an interesting, albeit quite weird guest.

Last edited:
They did the "why don't we have a motor-industry anymore?"-whine a few times already and it got old and repetitive rather quickly this time. One visit to an old factory would've been enough ... one or two bits about them "cheating" on the tests would've been enough. That would've kept the piece shorter and would've allowed to review the SLS (perhaps as a double-feature with the 458?).

While I generally liked it the heavy sarcasm may have been a bit much, and took something away from the segment

British car show does piece on British cars? Brits use sarcasm to make a point?

The world's gone mad - MAD, I tell you!

I think the classic Brit sports car film, along with the Senna film, is how TG should approach a non-petrolhead audience. Yeah, it's fun pushing a caravan off a cliff, but this is much more effective, I think.

Not that there's anything wrong with the stunts. The Vauxhall explosion was funny because no one saw it coming.

The deadpan sarcasm got a bit wearing after a while, but the off-the-cuff remarks, as usual, are the best.

Ferrari review started off slow, but got much better towards the end.

9/10.

Damn I didn't catch that. :( But to be pedantic, the car probably measures both the position and speed all the time, only the driver can't access both values at the same time. And speaking of pedantic...

Weeeelll... I'm sure the universe also measures position and speed of every particle precisely, it's just us lazy meatbags that can't access those values simultaneously :lol:

Yup, that came to my mind immediately when Jeremy showed the nav/speedo screen. :lol:

If people don't like certain products, the companies that are producing them are going down. Boohoo. And if YOU wouldn't be oblivious to history, you would know that this is nothing new.

It has more to do with shit union labor than liking the cars. Even the TR7 sold a fuck ton before U.S. buyers saw them fall apart due to shoddy construction. Look at the MX5 it follows the British sports car formula, but is built properly, Mazda sells a billion of them a second.

Anyhow I liked the episode, the car challenger was solid and I loved the Ferrari review. I skipped the SIRPC segment as I think the guy is a twat.

To be fair, the speed is shown at the bottom of the left screen. I guess even the Italians aren't that impractical.

Last edited:
The ferrari review was good, but the comments about not knowing how fast he was going got old - they showed a closeup of the left screen and it was showing MPH and he goes that screen is worthless. Must be a fun car to drive :)

I loved the classic british sports cars bit - just classic TG fun. That should've been a 90 min special.

jeff goldblum? A good actor, but that was a worthless interview - like he didn't know what was going on.

If people don't like certain products, the companies that are producing them are going down. Boohoo. And if YOU wouldn't be oblivious to history, you would know that this is nothing new. On a side note: Detroit was going down because AMERICANS didn't buy those cars. And if they didn't want them, who else should, and why? If I look at American cars from the 80s... What pieces of sh-- they produced. I think after 2000 there was sort of a big turnaround. Still, compared to German or Japanese cars, American cars are oversized and too showy. I cannot picture a lawyer or a doctor in Europe, driving an American car. Where I live, American cars mean SHOW. Right now, there is actually a Hummer parked outside of my house, I think it's an H2. And I know, the owner doesn't have to worry about something like a reputation. Otherwise he wouldn't drive that car.

My favorite American car is the Ford Mustang. Regular, factory model. No crazy tuning, Cobra or whatever. I heard that they are tinkering with the looks of that car. Making it rounder, cutting edges... If they ruin this great car, it's their own f--- fault.

Top Gear is about great cars and entertainment. That's right, I don't care about dead race drivers or collapsing industries. There are so many of them, they could turn it into a depressing series. If I want to be depressed, I watch the news. Everything is changing, soon there might be cars from China or even India everywhere on the roads. How about electric cars? Like they would come from America. So many technologies that were basically handed over to Asia. These days: What is not produced in China??? And that means that more companies and industries will go down. Is Top Gear supposed to turn that into a weekly documentary, the weekly whining?

"Oh, me big knowledge about history, cause I like to lament the inevitable." <_< Pff.

History. The SLS, that is pure history. Based on an iconic classic.

---

Like I wrote, for me the production of the show has improved in this series. They did cut out all the comic book special effects, that were ridiculous. The overall filming looks classy. Sometimes too dark on top, too dramatic. Tom Cruise was definitely a highlight of SIARPC. But it might be locals too, as long as they're funny or entertaining. Jeff Goldblum was kind of weird (like always). My request for SIARPC would be Her Majesty The Queen..., Elton John. :lol: JOKING, it's a joke. The last two News segments..., I don't know what that was, it wasn't the news. James May returning to the Veyron was good. I can't believe this was already the last episode for this summer.

Not having the SLS in this series was a definite letdown!

I genuinely can't respect anyone who claims to be an enthusiast and then comes out and says they don't care about Ayrton Senna. He's a lot more than just a dead racing driver, and if your head wasn't so far up your ass you'd realize that.

As for not caring about the late British car industry, if you forget your past you're doomed to repeat it, and there was also a lot of value in it. I'm sorry you can't find value in the film, but given some of your comments, you don't seem to be able to find value in a lot of valuable things. I actually pity you a little.

Last edited:
Great episode.

(and I think the 458 is quite good looking.)

I genuinely can't respect anyone who claims to be an enthusiast and then comes out and says they don't care about Ayrton Senna. He's a lot more than just a dead racing driver, and if your head wasn't so far up your ass you'd realize that.

As for not caring about the late British car industry, if you forget your past you're doomed to repeat it, and there was also a lot of value in it. I'm sorry you can't find value in the film, but given some of your comments, you don't seem to be able to find value in a lot of valuable things. I actually pity you a little.

That is like, your opinion. <_<

Really, what do I care about some romanticized drama on a TV show. Senna died, doing what he loves most. It was a life threatening situation he moved in. And as far as I can tell, he wasn't a pussy on the race track either. It's called "Live by the sword", history genius.

It would have been a shame, if a drunken driver killed him on the way home.

And the British Car Industry, what is there to learn for them? Nothing. China and India are ready to kick even more ass. And for the British Car Industry, the future is going to be: Novelty Kit Cars and a few luxury ones.

You must be one of those people who were outraged, and felt sorry for Conan O'Brien, when he had to leave NBC with a payday of $45 million. The "poor sap." Ugh, how did he make it???

Sorry if I live in some sort of reality, where real drama has names like Haiti or the Gulf of Mexico. I don't need an entertainment programmeeeee to put a romanticized dramatic guilt trip on me. It's Top Gear's job to entertain, and send in the Clown Cars!

DONE!

Last edited:
So let me understand what you're saying... you want more electric cars, preferably from China and India featured in Top Gear?

Also since you're american, and pay absolutely nothing to the british government who owns the BBC and ultimately pays for Top Gear, then you have no right to claim TG is there to entertain you.
If you stopped watching it, nobody would give a damn.

Edit:
I've just gone back to read all of your bitching, I guess it is because they didn't show the SLS? As far as I know, sales haven't even started yet, why would Top Gear be testing one? The 458 already has costumers all around the world, it's only reasonable they left the SLS for the next series.
I can understand you don't like serious things shown on a show you regard as some sort of car related circus (funny how you mention you want clown cars, right after you want to make it seem TG is for immature 17 year olds who play Playstation), but the Senna homage was welcomed by everyone. This one with the British roadsters, it had a lot of fun moments in it. I don't see it as a "baaawwww" moment, and certainly it was more interesting that if they went and did a road trip with chinese and indian electric cars mate.

Last edited:
I've just gone back to read all of your bitching, I guess it is because they didn't show the SLS? As far as I know, sales haven't even started yet,

Nope. I'm seeing one regularly on my way to work over here in Munich. And, judging by the plates, it's not a press-car, but a privately owned one.

I catched it, and I think it was intentional.