[16x03] February 6th, 2011

[16x03] February 6th, 2011

• Total voters

really loved the whole Bentley/Yugo bit. You know back when the guys came to the U.S. in series 12, when they mentioned aboit having to improvise about "building a challenger out of leaves." I never thought they would do such a thing. But they did, and they did it flawlessly.

Does anyone know why Bentley refused to deliver a car for the film?
Anyone know?

I liked the Albania trip, and their comical replacement 'Bentley', but I can't help feeling it would have been even better had Jeremy been given a Mulsanne... ;)

A solid 9. Everything was great. Ross slapping Jeremy really had me laughing.

Fuck you Bentley and Volvo.

If they put that volvo into production, I will be putting down a deposit. Overall an 8, the zastava bit was funny initially, but I wish they rather took along the mulsanne instead =/.

It was nice to see Johnathan Ross coming back as the SIARPC. Love the Albanian rozzers. The whole, loading up a dead guy in the boot was kinda boring. The test cars, Volvo, Subaru, and Ford was very informative. I liked it, But it wasn't head over heels amazing. I rated 6/10 only because I think they could've done better, still enjoyed the show.

:lol: at the camera man cleaning the lens at 4:03
Still in progress of watching.. but it looks like its gonna be great.

Last edited:
A good episode altogether, the best one so far in the series. But I can't help noticing that Jeremy didn't use enough metahpores in the track test bit. But despite that everything was bang on (the music, the track test, the road test, although I still have my reservations towards the news).

Enjoyed this one and shame on the Garinaud for trying to add to existing controversy by likening this episode to Hammond's effort the previous week.

Had to giggle at James' "ouch" and "ooch" dubbed over the crash at the end. :lol:

Also, am I the only one who is starting to get really bored with all the car tests being done on the track?

No .. you are not alone ... Last week, Clarkson stressed that the GTO was designed as a road car, not a race car. It would've far more interesting if he had tested it in the habitat for which it was designed rather that drag it around Dunsfold (especially since he has already tested the 599 on the track).

Just finished watching - I have to agree with Jeremy, definitely my favourite of the season and judging from his thoughts about next week's episode I am going to like that too :D

I don't normally watch the SIARPC, but I did this time despite not knowing much about Wossy except for a few humorous pieces of Top Gear fiction elsewhere. But I am glad that I did as it did give me a few laughs. I would be happy to have Wossy as a guest each week, he was quite funny. Not sure Richard is quite up to 'flamboyant scarecrow' standards, but anyway.

Great Albanian film, loved it. Jeremy has done quite a few Borat impressions and he does it well! The Mercedes was gorgeous. *mourns James*

Thanks for a very entertaining 61 minutes :)

Last edited:
I liked it.

That "dead" man was a real sport.

Jonathan needs a hair cut or some hairpins. But I really liked him because he was really excited to have a good time.

Laughed at the "Bentley".

Loved the news.

I am thinking of filing my VIN numbers off to save weight.

I could have watched a full hour of James walking around those airplanes.

I laughed myself silly at the drag race.

9/10

There was fair amount of both, cocking about and car show. I wonder what times would Impreza and Focus have on dry. That FWD Ford is really astonishing. It was disappointing that there was no Mulsanne, since it's very important car for Bentley. But on the other hand, my grandfather had Zastava. I had my first car ride in a car like that, when he drove me from a hospital after I was born. :D I have to say him he had Bentley and didn't even know about that. :p

The Albanian film was a lot of fun, especially the last 5 minutes. It was an enjoyable story, and the Bentley provided endless mirth.

News was a bit meh. Subaru Cossie vs Focus RS500 vs that Volvo thing seemed a little 'same old same old' too.

Jonathan Ross pisses me off. Big time. He comes across as an annoying car. I didn't watch SIARPC for this reason, but let's just assume that it's the same steaming pile of shit most SIARPCs are these days.

It felt like half an episode to me. Thankfully, that half was amazing (easily 12/10). The rest of the show was so ordinary that my total overall score got dragged down to 7.

Last edited:
8/10 (even though I just voted 7/10 and then changed my mind :D).

Albanian-film was mostly funny and original. Being an aviation-nut myself, I can *so* understand James wetting himself with all those old MiGs around. The fact that I would've corrected Jezza WRT flaps and ailerons just like he did, makes me feel weird about myself though.. :D Shame they couldn't get their hands on the real Mulsanne, I wonder what the story is behind that one. Usually, VW are very generous when it comes to having their cars participate in whacky TG-films (see the Dakar-Touareg-downhill-race).

Personally, I'd choose the Merc as well. The Ghost, like the Phantom, looks kinda ugly, heavy and not very well balanced to me. Same goes for the Bentley BTW, which IMO looks more like a chinese BYD-copy of a Bentley.

245.jpg

^ WTF?

The speed of the S-class was amazing. :jawdrop: I almost thought they'd sped up the footage when it flew by the Mulsanne... :D

The hatchback-review wasn't half bad either, the only thing I would criticize is the rarity of all three cars. Even the "common" RS500 was such a limited production-run and, quite frankly, came out (and sold out) quite a while back. The Volvo, being a one-off, is amazing ... but pointless. I'd much rather see another one of Jeremy's brillliant "common"-hot-hatch comparisons (see: M?gane Sport vs. Astra VXR vs. Golf V GTI in S06). He loves that kind of car and with the likes of the Scirocco R, the new M?gane/Clio RS, Mazda 3 MPS or even the Mini Cooper Works out there, he'd have tons of interesting "hot" mainstream cars to choose from.

Guest-segment wasn't all that special IMO. Felt kinda forced and wasn't really funny.

Still: A very entertaining episode, especially for one that relied almost exclusively on a long "three-cars-in a foreign-country"-clip. Well, "two-and-a-half-cars" in this case, but still ...

Last edited:
Also, the Albanian rozzers sure did some great stuff with them shitty Aveos. They actually made them look cool :D

I was really looking forward to this, kinda hoping it would be like 'three supercars through France' and my heart just sank the moment the yugo went on screen. It annoyed me. It wasn't funny at all. I thought the car chase at the end was hilarious though but still part of me wishes they had an actual Bentley Mulsanne.