[17x03] July 10th, 2011

[17x03] July 10th, 2011

• Total voters
Loved that episode! One of the great ones. Even loved the interview this time. I usually don't like all the trouble around Vettel but he is an ok guy. Well Done lap time.
Also loved the idea of those budget cars and that they attempt to drive them for some weeks now. Love the 850.

What the hell is wrong with Top Gear? After a few series of absolute rubish we've so far seen three absolutely brilliant shows!

Solid episode, nothing memorable but doesn't let down anywhere. Much better than x02 but not as good as x01.

if i leave out the specials, this one has to be in my top 5 all time episodes!!!! huge fun, and as clarkson said at the end, it was a car show again. that's what i want more of in the future.

Wholehearted 10.

I do hope they V12 monsters are reliable.

If it were me, I would've probably settled for something like a BMW 320-330.

What the hell is wrong with Top Gear? After a few series of absolute rubish we've so far seen three absolutely brilliant shows!

In what way has it been absolute rubbish?

Fed up of reading these boards and having pricks slag off the work of guys who have dedicated their careers to the show. If I was a producer I'd be on here telling you to stick it up your arse. I'm not sure why people think it's acceptable to post such insulting messages on a message board that we know the producers read.

Unless someone is holding a gun to your head and making you watch the 'rubbish' episodes then put up or shut up.

Last edited:

Fed up of reading these boards and having pricks slag off the work of guys who have dedicated their careers to the show. If I was a producer I'd be on here telling you to stick it up your arse. I'm not sure why people think it's acceptable to post such insulting messages on a message board that we know the producers read.

What I meant is that for the last series the jokes have been forced and all it's cock-ups scripted just for the sake of atracting viewers. This series has been on par with S07 which in my mind is the best.
Nice to see the chaps getting back to being a car show and not just an entertainment programme.

The entire show was about cars.

10/10

The end.

He comes across as an arrogant twat.

He is a bit of a prat, isn't he? Everytime I see him open his gob I give in to the urge to watch somebody else.
...but that's true for most F1 drivers.

Back to the cars. I was floored when Clarckson turned up in that Merc! Upkeep should be a bother but as serviced as that looks it should still be brilliantly hassle-free for a couple of years. Pop-up lamps, tho...

Last edited:
Good show.
I wonder how much gasoline those 12 cylinder cars suck down a week compared to the 3 cylinder Nissan.

absolutely fantastic episode!
This was classic Top Gear.
Vettel seems a nice guy;
the BMW 850 is a pleasure to watch and one of my favorite BMWs because
-it looks like a shark
-you can completely lower it's rear windows(something new coupes don't offer - the absence of middle pillar reduces rigidity ): I am surprised the TopGear crew has not shot any footage of the car with its rear windows down; it makes the car look even slicker
-pop-up headlights that are wide and accentuate the width of the car(just like Ferrari 456 GT and opposed to '82 Pontiac TransAm who's headlights (when open) completely ruin the car's looks).
I think the v12 in the 8 series was engineered not to be serviced (opened) which makes it extremely expensive if something breaks down and is also one of the reasons for the low power output(I could be mistaking this with the 7 series v12).

bird doo-doo on the car: I wish I had taken pictures but about a year ago I had massive bird nr.2 on my car and it was purple...what kind of a bird craps purple and what does a bird have to eat to poop purple? at first I thought it was ink but it was actually bird dookie...

The entire show was about cars.

10/10

The end.

This.

What I just watched is my idea of a perfect episode of Top Gear. Great car reviews, funny but not irrelevant news, really likeable and competent guest, and to top it all off a short feature film that pretty much defines petrolheadism.

Jezza's choice of car cracked me up, not only does it perfectly fit his personality and stereotypical buying habits, but the way he introduced the car was absolutely hilarious. "THIS is my choice! [dramatic music, huge Mercedes]". lol.

Seb was a great guest, completely the opposite of the German "stereotype."

Most of those stereotypes are being kept alive by Americans posing as Germans on some strange annual folklore festivals within the US of A. That's about as accurate as Germans posing as cowboys and Indians on some Western festival here in Bavaria.

This was a really solid, funny and entertaining episode. I can't help but gloat a bit about the surprised "Hey, that Sebastian Vettel is actually a nice guy" comments... Tells much about the value of the discussions in the F1 threads...

Last edited:
Great episode, maybe its cheaper to do a car show?

This was like a missing episode from Series 6, only with better production values. I can't give higher praise than that.

I wonder if Jeremy told Francie about the vaginal secretions the first time he drove her in the Merc...

Unless someone is holding a gun to your head and making you watch the 'rubbish' episodes then put up or shut up.

Someone doesn't understand the idea of having an opinion and discussing it on a forum. Also, stop angling for "look at me liking everything" rep points.

p.s. the last few series HAVE been crappo.

Reactions: TC
Most of those stereotypes are being kept alive by Americans posing as Germans on some strange annual folklore festivals within the US of A. That's about as accurate as Germans posing as cowboys and Indians on some Western festival here in Bavaria.

Yes, because Top Gear has NEVER reenforced stereotypes.

Great episode.

I've always seen Vettel as a nice guy.

Last edited:
Fantastic episode. It was actually about cars! Sweet!

I'm hugely impressed with the McLaren. Sure it may not be as much fun as the Ferrari 458, as in getting tail happy and powersliding everywhere because it has no grip, but it's damn effective. That lap time was blistering.

The new Range Rover looks menacing, I really like the styling of it. I wonder if they're planning to sell it in America with that turbo diesel engine. James did a good job testing it and the scenery was great. The slow motion camera work with the sand rail dune buggy things was excellent. The Las Vegas skyline at night provided some good shots as well. And the car wasn't half bad either.

The news was alright, nothing special. The SIARPC was about the same, as I'm not an F1 fan.

The cheap car challenge was particularly excellent. For one, it wasn't the same old bullshit with them buying some bangers and pretending to accidentally crash them into everything and everyone. Instead they actually went out and did some homework and collected an impressive group of desirable cars that don't cost too much money. I was seriously jealous looking at what you Brits can buy for under $7k. The WRX and S2K would be my first choices. But anyway, the cars Jeremy and Richard ended up picking were worrisome at first. Those cars tend to have some issues when they get older and I was expecting that to come up. But instead they seemed to have both picked perfectly good examples, ignoring Hammonds secondary horn option thingy.

But the best part for me was the fact that they actually purchased the cars and plan on driving them regularly so they can report back about them. Wow, is TopGear really providing consumer advice that isn't a complete load of nonsense? I'm impressed. I can't wait to see how it plays out. I'm not sure James May can pull off the bald look though... but no doubt Jeremy will prove him right somehow.

9/10