[17x03] July 10th, 2011

[17x03] July 10th, 2011

• Total voters
Nothing wrong with that though!

Depends. Typically when they say "accident", they mean the script says to crash but try to make it look like an accident, which they fail to do. I don't mind the occasional crash or fire, but when it's ridiculously fake looking... eh, I'd rather they not have bothered. I can't decide if they're actually trying to fool the audience or if they're just trolling. :think:

Great episode. Perfect balance of cars and cocking about. This series is turning out to be pretty great. I think this was the best of the series so far.

HatmanCMD said:
Oh, and another thing (although I don't really like Steve Jobs): Normally, I don't really mind Top Gear being scripted; after all, it produces results (i.e. the best car show ever). However, I do believe that the blokes should "stay in character". And sorry, but James not liking the used cars is just not authentic. After all, he was introduced to the show with a rubbish, antic Bentley as his only car.

I have to argue against that. James seems to be a big fan of cheap, small cars as well as big, used cars. In his original film, his whole point was it was really a mistake and it's not something the average person would want to put up with. Also, when he and Jeremy compared their own used cars (Jeremy's grosser and I think James had a Rolls Royce) they had that feel to it of it's for people who are willing to put up with the extreme expenses (Jeremy's 15K service) to drive such nice classic cars. I think if a friend of his who wasn't a "petrol-head" asked him for advice on what car to buy he would recommend a cheap hatch like a Fiat Panda. Unless of course his cheap car love is all scripted in which case the exact opposite of what I've said would be true but I think that's unlikely. He seemed to enjoy driving his hot hatch last week.

Last edited:
A solid episode, glad to see some good car stuff. Would have preferred the 7K challenge to be a bit longer mostly cuz I wanted to gawk at the 850 :D Surprised by the Range Rover, didn't expect it to do as well as it did considering that it was sitting on regular street tires, looks bonkers I would take the 3 door :D

The balance between the humor and the cars was excellent, much improved and back on form. This entire series for me has been a return to proper TG as it is best.

That said, I do agree with everyone that May would have been good in the cheap car challenge too.

This season is the first time I've actually watched SIARPC's without yawning or nodding off.

I don't like the Land Rover, another crossover and it looks almost exactly like the new Ford Explorer. The review and videography was amazing.

I want a 7,000 pound Bentley!

I like the McLaren, even if they say it has no soul, it can beat a Ferrari and that's all I care about. :D

I saw he-he. :D

9/10 95%

Another definite 'A' quality show. Epic imagery, serious car-related material, and even some review information that some viewers may find to be useful.

For me, this episode didn't have the same "fizz" factor that the previous two did, but it was still excellent.

I, and I'm sure a great many other Final Gear members are extremely grateful that, for at least the first three episodes of series 17, Top Gear has been hugely entertaining and captivating for Petrolheads.

Edit: For others reading this thread, the Sandrails were made by a company called Funco, which has some videos on youtube.

http://www.funco-motorsports.com/

I've never actually seen one in person, but they certainly look cool.

Last edited:
BBC and F1 must be wrong... TG says Vettel won this week. I was so sure they said Ferrari won it.:blink::blink::blink:

"So, Lewis Hamilton, watch and learn, this is how you pass a Ferrari without crashing into it!"
:roflmao:

Last edited:
Once again a solid 8 - nothing really wrong with it, no "funny" overly (obviously) scripted, it was actually about cars, but it didn't feel as special as some of the episodes in 6th to 8th series. Yes, it is an episode which is above average (and above all the episodes from the last two series), but there's still room for improvements.

It was great seeing he-he in the audience again.
The episode was really well-written and paced, I thought.

They also reviewed the two cars I'm most interested in, lately.

8/10

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant episode today. I don't have a single complaint. This episode was the best in the series and even better than all of series 16.

I loved how they did a cheap car challenge and even bought them to test reliability. Vettel's time was epic. I'm itching to see how fast the new Stig is now.

10/10.

McLaren review: some of the best cinematography Top Gear has ever done in any track review. Perfect soundtrack, too. What a brilliant test.
News: short, but good. Really enjoyed JC's rant ? childish, yes, but excellent.
Land Rover: exceptional cinematography also. Vintage-flavoured Top Gear soundtrack here, and a great review.
Vettel: great interview.
V12 coup?s: huzzah, a Jeremy and Richard film. Evocative of the Pacific Rim test initially, then similar to the Enormous Luxury Saloons test with James + Jezza. Truly excellent.

An easy 10.

9/10 95%

For me, this episode didn't have the same "fizz" factor that the previous two did, but it was still excellent.

I, and I'm sure a great many other Final Gear members are extremely grateful that, for at least the first three episodes of series 17, Top Gear has been hugely entertaining and captivating for Petrolheads.

Yup, sums up my feelings. :D Can't +rep you atm <_<

Liked all the segments, even the supercar one (I guess because it was a new car and not another edition of something they have done 5 times already). I'll be interested to see the results of their second-hand car experience.

I don't really understand Clarkson's negatives about the McLaren though. Would he still have made those criticisms if it had a Lamborghini badge and he hadn't spoken to the engineers? :dunno: If the mark-up here wasn't 500%, I'd buy one. Ahead of a 458 and despite its use of turbochargers .... it looks and sounds like a benchmark for years to come.

it makes you feel good about the future of the show, doesnt it?

Not really when they end the show with "sorry we accidentally made a show about cars, the other rubbish will be back next week".

I recall a similar line in one of the past seasons. It was followed by a really crap episode. Actually, it's like they want to underline their best episodes with that line, a sort of "we topped ourselves this week, don't bother expecting the same next week, all the good stuff aired today".

Last edited:
He did well to get a CL 600 for that money didnt he? I've seen CL 500's for under 10k but thought a 600 might still be more than that.

But I guess thats the thing, with the economy in the toilet and fuel prices rising, all those pretenders who financed cars like this to look good (rather than because they could properly afford them) are offloading them and in turn no one wants to buy them for the very same reasons they were sold in the first place. the RX-8 in particular, while not an especially expensive car even from new, just costs too much to run with petrol, road tax and insurance and the little extra oil you need. It all adds up.... that and silly "facts" about the car being an oil guzzler. You can get really good examples of these for cheap now. My mate got a corker for ?6k flat!!! private plates the lot!

Being someone from Eastern Europe, I'm usually dumbfounded by these prices in Top Gear's cheap car challenges. A 9 year old, V12, 350 bhp Merc for 7000 quid? That price is unbelievable.

What gives?
a) the price is fake
b) used cars are really that cheap in Britain
c) some sellers are just plain stupid
d) there's something majorly wrong with the car, which they didn't show

EDIT: I just looked up the prices here for the CL600, between 13-20K pounds for cars roughly the same age.

Last edited:
The cheapest CL 600 like Jezza's costs almost ?26k in Finland, and it's not even a sub-100k mile car. In fact at least half of the cars they featured in that "cheap second hand car" lineup are pretty rare and expensive here.