[17x03] July 10th, 2011

[17x03] July 10th, 2011

• Total voters

Nope, I'm not talking about what I can buy with my money in the UK. I'm talking about what the Brits can buy with their money in the UK. I know we all love throwing currency conversions around, but car companies don't price their vehicles like that. For example, the new global Ford Focus costs almost exactly the same in the UK as it does in the US, despite the large currency exchange rate differences.

Next week we try and build a fire engine out of a Montego, an office water cooler and a hose pipe.

I am really getting tired of the Tron soundtrack. It is actually slightly ruining the tests.

Other than that, excellent excellent excellent episode.

10/10 About as good as it gets in my book.

Last edited:
I'm still amazed about the Kick-Ass soundtrack. (Technically the score soundtrack)
In this series and the last one, I think 2 episodes havent used it.

I've never seen Tron, so I can't say I've noticed anything with the music.

Did anyone else laugh when Jeremy was driving his budget Merc CL600 and talking about how it's a rival for a brand new Mercedes, and he asked, "why would you buy [a new] one?" I mean, didn't Jeremy buy a couple of the more expensive Mercs ever built? :lol: Granted, the CLK Black Edition is particularly badass. But still.

Nope, I'm not talking about what I can buy with my money in the UK. I'm talking about what the Brits can buy with their money in the UK. I know we all love throwing currency conversions around, but car companies don't price their vehicles like that. For example, the new global Ford Focus costs almost exactly the same in the UK as it does in the US, despite the large currency exchange rate differences.

Erm...what?

An entry level Focus may have the same number next to the currency sign in both the UK and the USA, but that means it's much more expensive in the UK. I'm not sure how you can say it's the same amount.

Currency conversions are important!

Wow. This series so far is proving that the Top Gear magic that was missing for a few years is back. Keep it up boys! :thumbsup:

Erm...what?

An entry level Focus may have the same number next to the currency sign in both the UK and the USA, but that means it's much more expensive in the UK. I'm not sure how you can say it's the same amount.

Currency conversions are important!

:wall:

I didn't say it was the same amount, nor did I say exchange rates are not important. What I said is that car companies don't price their cars that way. It's all about local markets, not global currency rates. I'm not going to test drive a $40k BMW, but by the time I get back to the dealer, it's now $45k because of a shift in currency exchange rates. They keep the prices stable and competitive, but it's an individual market thing. Go look at the strength of a currency over the years, and then compare it to the price of a certain car over those same years, and you won't notice as much fluctuation.

Thought it was a good episode, not quite as...exciting as the first two, more car based as they said, but perfectly enjoyable. Definitely the "worst" so far this series, but still very good.

Im sorry but...eh, nevermind.

Anyways, 8/10. Love when they do proper reviews. Love that i was car shopping yesterday and i found almost that exact Benz...for $20,000. Very relevent show this week, good for them.

And yes, i as well warmed up to Seb a little after that, it was a fun interview. When it comes to sports, i usualy only hate the rivals when they are on the track/field/ice. I know we are all human when we are not playing (except for Alonso, Fuck him)

Loved the episode, but not liking Clarkson's choice of the CL600. I had just recently talked myself out of getting one and now I'm looking through Autotrader for them again.

:wall:

I didn't say it was the same amount, nor did I say exchange rates are not important. What I said is that car companies don't price their cars that way. It's all about local markets, not global currency rates. I'm not going to test drive a $40k BMW, but by the time I get back to the dealer, it's now $45k because of a shift in currency exchange rates. They keep the prices stable and competitive, but it's an individual market thing. Go look at the strength of a currency over the years, and then compare it to the price of a certain car over those same years, and you won't notice as much fluctuation.

Individual price fluctuations aren't relevant here. I know cars are priced differently in different markets, but that doesn't mean that $7k in the US buys you as much as GBP7k would in the UK.

Especially since the UK has an especially competitive used car market and massive depreciation.

So last week was cocking about and funny challenges, and this week was all about cars. Well guess what? I laughed a lot more with this one than I did last week. I wish they realized that they can't do straight up comedy, but that they are in fact very good at providing comedy as a by-product. The only bad thing about this week's episode was the announcement for next week's.

Mclaren vs Ferrari: Not enough actual Mclaren vs Ferrari.
Very nice cinematography on Evoque segment.
I hope Vettel being a generally nice guy is not a PR exercise.
A recurring challenge on Top Gear? Intriguing.

9/10.

Anyone notice the Evoque running around Las Vegas with Europe/GB tags?

In what way has it been absolute rubbish?

Fed up of reading these boards and having pricks slag off the work of guys who have dedicated their careers to the show. If I was a producer I'd be on here telling you to stick it up your arse. I'm not sure why people think it's acceptable to post such insulting messages on a message board that we know the producers read.

Unless someone is holding a gun to your head and making you watch the 'rubbish' episodes then put up or shut up.

What a nice world it would be if we only voiced our opinions when we like something, and keep our mouths shut when we don't. Wait no, it would be terrible. But I'm not allowed to say that... hm.. hell... whatever.

Individual price fluctuations aren't relevant here. I know cars are priced differently in different markets, but that doesn't mean that $7k in the US buys you as much as GBP7k would in the UK.

Especially since the UK has an especially competitive used car market and massive depreciation.

Obviously, that's why in my original post I said I was jealous of the Brits. I get paid in USD, which is a bit crap at the moment, but the Brits get paid in pounds, which is strong at the moment. The deals they showed this episode made me envious. Now obviously I can't buy shit with my money over there, since it's hardly worth anything, but that's beside the point.

Back to the original topic, I really really want one of those McLarens now. I wonder how it compares to the F1 in terms of lap times, not top speed obviously.

Last edited: