[17x03] July 10th, 2011

[17x03] July 10th, 2011

• Total voters
I kinda like the segments where it's just 2 of them and not all three. They seem to concentrate more on what they're doing and the cars rather than just "MEANWHILE, James is getting lost and being slow...". Last film was a very enjoyable watch.

The prices they claim to have paid though, are simply unbelievable. :blink: I think we'd pay at least 5x as much over here. :(

Being someone from Eastern Europe, I'm usually dumbfounded by these prices in Top Gear's cheap car challenges. A 9 year old, V12, 350 bhp Merc for 7000 quid? That price is unbelievable.

What gives?
a) the price is fake
b) used cars are really that cheap in Britain
c) some sellers are just plain stupid
d) there's something majorly wrong with the car, which they didn't show

EDIT: I just looked up the prices here for the CL600, between 13-20K pounds for cars roughly the same age.

There are currently two Cl600's on ebay around the same age as the one Clarkson had bought.

?7,995
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-Y-MERCED...omobiles_UK&hash=item3f0af97605#ht_1332wt_937

and

?6500
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2000-MERCEDES...6005702?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item43a84690c6

Firstly, I prefered this episode to last weeks by a lot. There was just something about this weeks that really nailed it for me and I was more than interested in each segment. Well done team!

Maclaren: I actually thought this was a very good looking car; I loved the curves of the front end. Great film, I really enjoyed how they showed what was underneath the bodywork.

News: Not as funny as last weeks, but then they weren't being overly childish and talking about lady gardens ;) That bird dirt was massive. Sorry, Jeremy; I can't beat that.

Range Rover: Interesting little car, one that I myself wouldn't mind adding to the collection (as long as I could get rid of that massive sunroof). I respect James' opinion very much, often even more so than the other two, so to know James has given this his seal of approval sits well with me. One to think about.

Guest: Again, I have watched the guest. Interesting! He was a delightful chap. I quite like him.

2nd Hand Cars: Loved this segment. I enjoy seeing Jeremy and Richard together, although I'd like to see James and Richard doing another segment together as it has been a while. They used to do a lot in the years gone by. I miss that. What the above posters mentioned are true; we pay so much more in Australia for second hand cars. It's very disappointing.

Oh dear. I can only hope one of those cars break down within the next two weeks as I do not want to see James lose all of his hair. Well, it would be interesting to see, but just... no, James. Or perhaps he only means the hair in a particular region :D

It is interesting to see the show going back to being more car/less entertaining. Maybe next week's return to things catching fire, etc. will be a quality ep for the folks who prefer the entertainment side and we can have a balanced season for all fans!

This is the cheapest CL600 on CarSalesDotComDotAu. The equivalent of ?35,500 .. and it is 2 years older :( ... so yeah, five time what Jezza paid.

its ridiculous isn't it. it seems all interesting second hand cars from Europe are way too expensive. i have been wanting to get a second hand Turbo R just like the one hammond shown, but they simply cost too much here

Anyone else feels that Top Gear/Clarky did a much better/objective and serious review of the McLaren than FG?
FG trying to be technical, entertaining, "controversial" for the sake of it all at once and complaining about drifting and interior of the McLaren.

Last edited:
Oh god yes 850!
For some reason I was expecting it to show up after the cl 600 and lo behold there it is.
Too bad it's not a proper 850CI and only the older 4-gear autobox. It's loss in the drag race might have been less catastrophic.
I guess you just can't find one for that price.

its ridiculous isn't it. it seems all interesting second hand cars from Europe are way too expensive. i have been wanting to get a second hand Turbo R just like the one hammond shown, but they simply cost too much here

We are gouged by the industry here. Problem is, they can't drop their prices without upsetting existing customers (and the resale value of the cars they have already purchased). The only thing on our side is that our roads aren't salted, making rust less of a problem.

My jaw absolutely dropped when Jeremy showed his CL600, seriously $6995 GPB for this much car, it actually is the bargain of the century. When this film started going on I thought I'd traveled back in time to 2004. Top Gear? With all cars? Don't be ridiculous. Really loved this episode.

Cheapest I could find.

?6,250

CL500's are under ?5k.

:jawdrop:

We've been looking for cars at this range too but the only cars we've found are beaten up Holden Commodores and the occasional worn E36 3 series.

Last edited:
Loved the episode! So much WIN in it! Second time this season i votet a 10! It is unbelivable that they deliver on such high level every sunday! I hope we will see top gear at least until season 20!!

9 for me. Enjoyed it and a little change up was good.

Was shocked at the high prices in the UK for new cars. That Nissan is a 3cyl 1.0L and is 7k Pounds? Looks like roughly over 11k USD. Compared to Nissan's cheapest option here is 9k USD (5,500 pounds) and is the Versa sedan 1.6L 4cyl and quite a bit larger.

I don't really know why, but this Episode was brilliant. There wasn't an epic roadtrip in it, no cheap car challenge, things that normally work for me, but it was brilliant.

The segment about the second-hand cars didn't surprise me, because a fried of mine just bought such a car.
In Germany they are even cheaper sometimes.

Yes Andy. This is what we want more of. Save the budget for something 'truely' epic and spend the rest of the time being entertaining, informative and objective.

I don't really know why, but this Episode was brilliant. There wasn't an epic roadtrip in it, no cheap car challenge, things that normally work for me, but it was brilliant.

The segment about the second-hand cars didn't surprise me, because a fried of mine just bought such a car.
In Germany they are even cheaper sometimes.

Because less is more. This was basic Top Gear.

Good episode overall, I wish they'd do more like this instead of attempting to do "comedy!"

I found the McLaren to be a boring car. Looks dull and well it just doesn't interest me. The Land Rover bit was fun and I loved the used car challenge. I skipped the guest since I could care less.