[17x06] July 31st, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, as I'm sure you're all aware there are many, many fan bases around the world of varying types. We do know about you, and yes we visit you all on a regular basis just to see what you're talking about. One of them is based in America, and tends to be quite ... how shall I put it ... vocal about their views on the show, and it appears we just can't win. If we cock around, there's not enough car reviews. If we review cars there's not enough cocking around. Well tough s**t*, you don't pay the f***ing TV licence. Especially those of you in Wisconsin.

I may not pay the f**ing licence fee, but I have spent an enormous amount of time researching about and writing stuff for the show. And, even though I may be eccentric, or even somewhat insane, I like to think that I've at least contributed somewhat to the show.

So, with that said, I think it's fair to say that we here at FinalGear don't hate the cocking about. What I think the majority of us dislike are overdone predictable humor/jokes, worn out running gags, offensive banter that is devoid of any kind of cerebral humor, and giving too much time to things that are slow paced.

^^I think, although I could be wrong because it is my interpretation of Jeremy's comment above, plus talking to Andy after the show, that they're more upset by the comments disliking the more car-based segments of this series. Andy seemed genuinely pleased with this run, and the overall response, and I do mean genuinely pleased, not the 'sod off we're making the show we want to' comment from a couple of series ago.

Oh, and this is finally explained. Well, discussed anyway. :lol:

670x377Image.jpg

Thanks he-he! Who would be upset over the car-based content?

Oh, and :+1:

Edit: which coincidentally bumped you up to 917.

LMK34Fr150_.JPG

Last edited:
Hope having Louis on doesnt mean that westlife, jedwerd and mary byrne will be soon...

Wonder did anyone slag Jezza about Murdoch offering his people jobs in Siberia!

Strange, I never percieved this forum as "American-based" (even though it technically is).

I dunno why but I always thought of this as an international meeting point without any specific national tenor. And to me the emphasis isn't so much on Top Gear either. Top Gear is the connective link for us all, alright, but to me it's much more interesting to meet likeminded people from all over the world and talk about things with them. Excange views and share experiences, etc.

That has always been the reason why I'm active on the internet in the first place, ever since I first went online in 1996.

No matter what the Top Gear folks might think about the harsh critical voices here sometimes, they should always consider, that their achievement is more than just making a car show. They bring people from all over the world together. You cannot value that high enough, even if sometimes the episodes or parts of them are not as brilliant as we all would like them to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF
You've had William and Kate - what more do you want?

Not everyone wanted William & Kate. :lol:

Kinda like this series of Top Gear, really - it pleased some people but not others. (personally, watching the news and seeing the Royal couple was more interesting than watching about the bad things going on in the world...and I enjoyed series 17 of Top Gear)

This is true. Most of the people who have been vocal lately about the lack of cocking about have been relative n00bs and I think in reality JC and AW are aware of that based on what he-he has been reporting back.

FWIW I think this has been one of the most solid runs we have had in a long time, probably since before I registered here.

I think that AW and JC have a good understanding of the value of FinalGear. We're a bunch of disparate people from literally all around the world, brought together by enjoyment of the show for whatever reason we might watch. In the main, we're articulate (especially compared to the commenters on the TG website) and know our stuff, both about the show and about vehicles and the ancillaries related to them. We're also an independent voice with measured opinions; when we criticize, we do it in, as has been said, a constructive fashion, and, more importantly, we give reasons why something didn't work. And they know we're doing it out of love for the show, not to be critical or contrary for the sake of it. FinalGear is Top Gear's Down To Earth Board, and they've finally learned to use us as an asset.

Ol' Loser L up there is right, though; Series 16 and 17 has been a very good sustained run, definitely the best since Series 9-12 (once they'd adjusted for Hammond's post-crash limitations), and maybe the best since Series 6 and 7. Something's reinvigorated them. Maybe it's the fact that they've extended the brand successfully (finally getting a TGAUS cast that knows what they're doing, the success of TGUS). Maybe it was Jeremy hitting the Big Five-Oh. Maybe it was James fully establishing himself away from the show and having the freedom to do his pet projects. I don't know what, and at this point, I don't care. I like what they're doing, and I want them to keep doing it. All they need now is an Epic Race, and things will be complete.

Now watch tonight's episode suck major gonads.

Reactions: MWF
So, where's the voting thread?

Thought it was just me. I'll stop turning my laptop upside down and shaking it, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.