[18x01] January 29th, 2012

[18x01] January 29th, 2012

• Total voters
YES!

Very enjoyable ep that one, plenty of laughs, real emotion... Jezza driving on the railway lines, 'that bit looks empty...', that was so funny!

They're back, 9/10.

They should have epanded this episode and used it for the Christmas special. Still only gave it an 8, the SIARPC should have been tossed, and the "Go talk to the car" seemed a bit cheesy and over the top.

I wonder how the hell Noble got an extra car to Italy that quick, surely they didn't have one on standby nearby?

They should have epanded this episode and used it for the Christmas special. Still only gave it an 8, the SIARPC should have been tossed, and the "Go talk to the car" seemed a bit cheesy and over the top.

I wonder how the hell Noble got an extra car to Italy that quick, surely they didn't have one on standby nearby?

Oh do pay attention, Double-Oh Autobahn. Hammond said in the show that Noble had a guy drive through the night to get the replacement to Rome.

Ok, I got it... Although the India special wasn't as good as we expected, it was not as bad as series 14... Still, some of us completely fail to see that those dreadful days are gone...(I dearly hope they are gone...)

Hammond jumped in the second car they took with them, then they made up a fake story about it because nothing you see on tv is real.

Fantastic episode, the Italian segment was brilliantly done. More of this please, and I'm in agreement with most in this thread, the SIARPC just wasn't interesting. I'd rather eat my own teeth than watch that guy.

Is no one curious what the first tow truck driver said? Can anyone translate? I assume its him calling someone because something about the equipment he had couldn't handle towing the car. Still, the whole completely ignoring Hammond leaves me with questions. Was hilarious though.

Last edited:
8/10. Docked points because of the guest, and got the impression that the Italy film dragged only veeeery slightly at some points. Maybe trimming one minute or so off each of the 3 parts, something off the news and off the interview and they could have squeezed in something else as well.

Can't complain about a flaming Lambo though. Also Imola and Nardo. :D

9/10 from me.

Andy, if you're reading, :clap:

Kinda wish there was more than just roadtrip/news/SIARPC, but it was still a great episode. Totally didn't expect Noble to provide a 2nd M600.

Gave this one 9/10

After the horrendous India special this one was a return to basics for the show. This was as good as I expect the Top Gear of nowadays to be.

Hammond jumped in the second car they took with them, then they made up a fake story about it because nothing you see on tv is real.

Thanks for clearing that up. It is, of course, important for us idiots who don't "get it" to realise that all cars, especially three brand-new, clean-sheet supercars in their first year of production, are absolutely 100% reliable. Also, the presenters are all brilliant professional racecar drivers, so things like Hammond going off the track at Imola, and the smoke coming from Clarkson's tires after overheating are all clearly, obviously scripted and planned out to the last detail weeks in advance.

Right?

8/10 Great episode, this is proper Top Gear
After the completely shit Indian special, I did not have high expectations, but the description of this episode sounded good. And it was. I'm glad that they have not forgotten the recipe for a great TG episode: Try to do something epic with cars without intentionally trying to be funny.
This episode had the perfect mix of automotive awesomeness to excite us gearheads and also just the right amount of "cocking about".?
This episode never felt "forced" or excessively scripted like the Indian special. I hope rest of this season will be this good, but I am a bit worried after seeing the preview. There seems to be a fair bit of awesomeness but also some bits that give the impression of overly scripted cocking about, the mobility scooters bit, and the exploding caravans, to be specific.
There just doesn't seem to be enough awesomeness to fill 7 episodes!
I wish they had not wasted time with the Indian special and just spent more time filming for a epic season 18.

Last edited:
The pep-talks in the garages was cringe-inducingly corny, but it was quite a good episode overall!

However, I'm extremely disappointed with the fact that they forgot to mention Roland Ratzenberger in the same breath as Senna.

The pep-talks in the garages was cringe-inducingly corny, but it was quite a good episode overall!

However, I'm extremely disappointed with the fact that they forgot to mention Roland Ratzenberger in the same breath as Senna.

Why? Noone ever mentions Riccardo Paletti in the same breath as Gilles Villeneuve yet they died in the same season within a few weeks of each other.

All of the above deaths are tragic but in death as in life people only ever remember the successful ones.

Nice episode. 7/10.

Dunno why, but I just don't feel like watching it again.