[18x06] March 4th, 2012

[18x06] March 4th, 2012

• Total voters
Another good one. 8 for me.

The better siarpc guests seem to have dried out. Who has some laying around? Obama anyone?

I thought it was great, but I felt it was lacking substance or something. I don't know, this one didn't really blend in well for us, or maybe because I wasn't paying enough attention to it.
But still great. 8/10.

Solid 9/10 from me. I'd love to have a three-wheeled Morgan and I think my chest grew hair from watching the Brutus vs. Bentley bit.

I loved the beginning "Le Mans Start". lol
Everything felt really well-paced and I laughed many times throughout!
The News was good!
SIARPC was good!
The Brutus is rubbish!! haha

9/10

I think you have to grease the valves every so-and-so miles, or it could be like a diesel locomotive where oil is very gradually allowed to seep out onto the components.

These are just guesses, though, so I could be wrong (someone who knows more about Brutus correct me).

I guess if the RPM is kept low they grease will not evaporate too quickly.

I'm impressed, what's with all of these petrolhead episodes this season? We got only one gag film (mobile scooters) and even that one was relatively tame. This season feels like we've traveled back in time to season 7. I'm liking this very much, the presenters seem much more comfortable in their roles and the show feels so strong it could go on forever in this set-up.

I liked all segments from this episode, the epic cars with airplane engines, the news and SIARPC and the track cars. I especially liked the track cars segment, as it was the perfect mix of cocking about, with cars driving and drifting, interesting insights (the start-up was interesting and hilarious), and insight into ownership of the cars, which was beautifully shown by the drive through the rain, which was just painful to watch. Well done.

Just one more epic film, such a race, would be a perfect finish to a very back-to-its-roots season.

I watched the Brutus and Bentley segment again last night, I may watch it again tonight too. It's just so epic!

I guess if the RPM is kept low they grease will not evaporate too quickly.

As in more modern overhead cam engines, the tappet faces/top of valve stem face are not directly lubricated, and wear is accommodated by tappet adjustment and/or bucket and shim on more modern engines. The valve stems on pre-80?s petrol engines normally ran in phosphor bronze guides and were lubricated by the lead in petrol, however over time the guides (and valve seats) hardened so high mileage ?leaded engines? can run fine on unleaded petrol with no noticeable increased wear in the guides or valve stem. The camshaft is fed an oil supply as shown in the photo via supply and return feeds, and this also lubricated the rockers. Shown in the photos the actual camshaft is enclosed whilst the valve tops are exposed. In more modern engines the camshaft still has an oil supply but the cam cover or rocker box encloses both shaft and valves.

JC

Solid 8 for me
I think the UK vs German plane/car thing is kinda biased. (just like everything else in Topgear XD)
But its good fun!

I was kinda hoping for an Ariel Atom... But the Morgan looks awesome fun in a weird way. haha

Last edited:
I just noticed some unfair "top gear maths" in the track day car segment. According to Jeremy, the Caterham has an engine from the "Ford Galaxy people carrier" and that makes the X-bow better, because its engine "comes from the Golf GTI".

That people carrier engine has been fiddled with by Caterham Powertrain and revs to 8500rpm. I could probably find a VW group people carrier with the 2.0T too if I could be arsed to.

What was the Track Car that Clarkson wanted to use ? <the one that broke at the factory>

Morgan 3 Wheeler: excellent! the sound it makes reminds me of my motorcycle... too bad it's so cold here, I have to wait a few more weeks...
One of the nicest episodes, very funny and natural ...
a, the discussion about push rod suspension is an absolute killer.

the scene from basic instinct :)))

It looked like the KTM didn't have a limited slip differential(only the left wheel was spinning)...which is weird

I like The Brutus more than the Spitfire Bentley... it seems alive, fantastic !

I like Jeremy's blue dial watch ( driving the Spitfire), any idea what it is?

the guest and James May shop at the same T-shirt store, apparently :))

It would have been interesting to see LCC The Rocket as 'a blast from the past' in the track day car challenge...It is one of my "11 cars garage"... cars

Black Alfa Romeo Brera at petrol station on Hammond's left

Great episode. Very track oriented and just the right about of Funny.