Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
The R8 drift was stupid and a waste of time. Same thing for Ben Collins' two-wheel-side part. Actually, Ben continues to disappoint more and more. There was a reason Top Gear mutted him in Stig's position and now we all know why. He can't simply act or say something in a convincing way. He may be good at driving and doing laps but everything else fails. Vicky's part was so rushed I can't remember a thing about it. One moment she was like "Hi, this is Mini-something", the next minute she was giving an old Mini as a prize or something. So rushed. The dogfight was just okay. The Citroen had a terrible color and the Honda was all black, and that doesn't translate well on tv.

The R8 drifting was pretty bad. Drifting an AWD car is hard, why would they pick that car? The Mini Countrymen segment is so rushed. I would've preferred if they took it on public roads and give the review based on that. No one is going to take the Mini off road. The two wheeling segment is not too bad, but it's kinda pointless. Hopefully next week will be better, a three way dogfight sounds interesting.

I thought the two wheel driving segment was good. It helped having Johnny and the stunt driver there to lighten the mood and compensate for Ben's total lack of a sense of humor or personality. I wondered why they picked a AWD drive car too for a drifting lesson. How about someting easier to drift since he's never donw it before. Jeeze. Anyway, I generally liked the whole thing.

The R8 drift was stupid and a waste of time. Same thing for Ben Collins' two-wheel-side part. Actually, Ben continues to disappoint more and more. There was a reason Top Gear mutted him in Stig's position and now we all know why. He can't simply act or say something in a convincing way. He may be good at driving and doing laps but everything else fails. Vicky's part was so rushed I can't remember a thing about it. One moment she was like "Hi, this is Mini-something", the next minute she was giving an old Mini as a prize or something. So rushed. The dogfight was just okay. The Citroen had a terrible color and the Honda was all black, and that doesn't translate well on tv.

I wonder had they finished a whole load of segments, and then had to slot him in afterwards.

The review of the Mini Countrymen was brutal. The purpose of putting AWD on a car like that has nothing to do with off-roading. Would you buy an Audi A3 Quattro because it can drive up a 45 degree mudslide? It could have easily been a much better review.. at a minimum, talk about how a ballooned out 4 door AWD "mini" shares nothing in common with it's original inspiration. etc etc.

I'm not sure who benefits from timed runs of a diesel or hybrid commuter car. It's possibly amusing when you are having a very boring evening... but not much else.

Generally I've enjoyed this series of Fifth Gear but this episode was... hmm... a bit of a let down.

Last edited:
Glad I downloaded it skipped thought most of it very flat.

Looks like Ben Colins join after the main segments had been filmed so everything we seen is filler. Next week it looks like he's got a proper segment with JP and tiff.

I'm guessing the V10 R8 belongs to the rugby player, seeing as how he was beating on the steering wheel in frustration.

That R8 drifting lesson was simply terrible. even though it is 4wd, there's enough rear bias for drifting. As well, Clarkson shows the R8 is quite easy to drift in his supercar DVD. I don't think Jason really knew how to teach the guy either. I mean the guy obviously hasn't driven the R8 around enough to even get a good feel for the car. Jumping right in and trying to drift it is just a waste of time their time and our time. Jason should've let the guy do some hotlaps around the track and gradually get him to overspeed into a corner, instead of telling him to just throw the car in hard and expect him to be able to sort it out with verbal tips.

The rest of the episode felt very out of focus. There were very little consumer advice and too many challenges that could've been interesting but wasn't.