1955 Buick Special

kberjian

Car(s)
1955 Buick, 1929 Willys, 2004 SRT-4
So I have been spending alot of time at my parents farm and thinking about the projects that were there. I had been wanting to do an easier build than my Whippet that would have room for the family (wife and 3 kids). My dad bought this 1956 from a neighbor and they had owned it since new. It has 38,000 miles and ran when parked inside in the 70's. It is almost completely rust free and only has a few minor dings on it. Interior is in relatively good shape as well. My plan for it is to leave the body as is, it is straight and the patina is pretty cool. I will have the seats fixed with new foam and covers but hope to leave the headliner, door panels and carpets in place. Rewire it with 12V with a painless wiring kit. For the chassis I will rebuild the front end with new rubber, the rear will get a new diff with posi and some stiffer springs(hauling travel trailer) and disc brakes all around if I can find a good kit. For drivetrain I plan on using the 5.7L gen 3 Hemi and either a 4l60 or a Chrysler 545RFE (5 speed OD). I hope to be done the Whippet this fall so I can be working on this new one all winter. My company was awarded the SW ring road here in Calgary so I will be in town for the next few years with alot more time for cars hopefully. Forgot to get a proof pick with the gear shift so I will do it next time I am down there.

If it is truly a low mile car, it should be preserved as much as possible. That is one of the cars that restorers seek out to see how the marks are on the car to recreate them. Just my 2 cents.

If it is truly a low mile car, it should be preserved as much as possible. That is one of the cars that restorers seek out to see how the marks are on the car to recreate them. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think there is that much demand to restore this car as the more desirable model is the hardtop(Riviera) or convertible.There were 38,672 of them made so they are not that rare either. It is also the Special series which is the lowest model type (Roadmaster being the highest). I will be keeping the original nailhead engine, transmission and rearend so if a puritan wants it they can easily restore it. But interestingly enough every 1956 Buick came with a 322ci V8.

I am using the Hemi because it is what I have on hand. It is fuel injected and will be run from a stock computer so it should run and drive like a new car which is what I want because my wife will drive it alot with the kids. It also has the power to pull a 5000lbs trailer with no issues.

Another built!? Consider me subscribed to the thread! :D I dig that generation of the Buick. And your plans remind me of the Icon Derelicts (I assume you know Icon here. They did a '48 and a '50 Convertible).

I love the look of the Icon Derelict cars. Solid, reliable, clean and understated. There is also the option of prettying it up to look like this one too...
Willman_56_Buick_2-875x400-740x480.jpg

God I love it. Where can I pick up my free sample? :D. Although a tad low maybe, and the wheels could be - visually faking smaller rims or not - a bit smaller so the while walls are a bit more prominent.. still, lovely.

I don't plan on anything near that big of rim. They spend alot of time and money modifying the body, frame and suspension to fit that big of rim and tire.

I don't plan on anything near that big of rim. They spend alot of time and money modifying the body, frame and suspension to fit that big of rim and tire.
or photoshop

So back from the dead. I was gone for a few years to Texas for work but am home making progress on this one. Pulled the stock nailhead, dropped in the Hemi and finished all the mounts for it. Last night I pulled the stock rear end and torque tube out and am gettting ready to fit the Ford 8.8” with four link I picked up. On my phone now and can’t figure out how to attach pictures here since photobucket crapped out for me. Will get on the computer later to get the pictures up.

You can tow 5,000lbs with that! That would look epic towing an airstream.

We have an older camper we plan on painting to match the car when it is done. Someday I want an airstream but they are quite pricey.

Here was the progress today. Finished the four link and ran the diff up and down from normal height to full slammed height. It goes through the motion great and the pinion angle is good throughout.

Got a little distracted this last weekend by resurecting my old minibike for my kids. It is a 49cc bike that is a riot to ride. Just needed to clean up the carb and she ran like a dream again after 10 years sitting.

Now for the fun stuff. Fabricated up the air ride mounts for the front and rear. Next is the compressor and lines and I will be air riding!