1989 Chevrolet Celebrity 2.5FI

Spray paint it orange.

I knew they were basically the same cars, it just brought back a lot of memories. That car loved to eat transmissions and alternators. It also had major problems with the window motors going out along with the trunk latch. It had so much "fancy" technology that kindasorta worked some of the time and then broke. Like the keypad on the door that you could use to get into the car.

My dad's friend had a brown Celebrity. It was...........there. :blink:

That's in surprisingly nice condition for a car that's almost as old as I am. Maybe it'll be worth something someday if you lock it up in a garage for a few (hundred) years. :lol:

To borrow a line from Clarkson: "[This car] made millions of people stand up and as one declare, 'I want to buy something else.'"
Where's that from?

My dad's friend had a brown Celebrity. It was...........there. :blink:

That's in surprisingly nice condition for a car that's almost as old as I am. Maybe it'll be worth something someday if you lock it up in a garage for a few (hundred) years. :lol:

Where's that from?

Clarkson's Car Years: Why Do People Like British Sports Cars

I uploaded just the specific clip to YouTube:
[YOUTUBE]W0Qm6iQ6zZs[/YOUTUBE]​

when i was tiny my dad had a celebrity wagon, which is bad, whats worse is that he sold his first gen Volkswagon GTI to buy it

Wait, wait ... You mean Chevy actually made a car and called it the Celebrity?! And people bought it?!?!

And it has a column shift? And a speedo that only goes to 85mph? And has whitewall tyres in 1989? 98hp from a 2.5? Even my ratty old 2.0L '88 Nissan Pintara put out 105hp.

The styling reminds me a lot of a Volvo of some sort (740/760?), only not quite as good.

If that was what the US makers called a car back then, no wonder they're in deep shit now. If I owned one of those, I'd be turned off American cars for good too.

My old Pintara would have been fantastic compared to a Celebrity.

Woooooooooow! :lol:

My bluebird had the same power when new!

Oh My God :confused:

Ok, my aunt's family had one of those in a wagon back in the day. Biggest piece of shit I've ever had the misfortune to drive. The only put on one coat of primer and one coat of paint, so by the end of it's life you would get Tetanus just from looking at it. The car was on it's THIRD engine when it finally limped down to the junkyard (they would only pay $60 for it) and it blew that engine on the final turn into the lot. Starting it was a 10 minute ordeal, in fact, I think my cousin ended up putting a truck battery in it so he wouldn't run out of power trying to crank the thing. I can't even count how many things went wrong on that car.

Funny Story about "Ben" (yes, the car was named Ben).
The passenger door lock failed, but only to lock the car. It would unlock fine but not lock, you had to remember to reach over and do that manually. Also, the engine ignition was so worn that you could start the car just by twisting the ignition without the key in it (the older GM models had little paddles to turn the ignition because they had such tiny keys). I think you can see where this is going. One day my cousin arrives at school and gets the "Rockstar Parking Spot" right by the steps to the school. I arrive later and park out in the lot, but I have to walk past his car to get to class. "Hmm, Brian got the good spot. I wonder if he ever fixed that door like he said he would?" Nope. "I wonder if he ever fixed that ignition problem" Nope. "I wonder if he would mind if I moved his car to the farthest parking spot in the lot?" Oh yeah.

A replacement:

http://img107.imageshack.**/img107/5794/newcar.jpg

The Accord is a big improvement!

Is the Celebrity still running btw?

The Accord is a big improvement!

Is the Celebrity still running btw?

Yes however it does overheat at times. I put it on craigslist last night for $400 and already have received several emails and phone calls.

Last edited:
I've received quite a few emails from people with names like "Reggie" and "Sheena" from the bad part of town......

I've received quite a few emails from people with names like "Reggie" and "Sheena" from the bad part of town......

Expect to see your car being chased by helicopters on the nightly news. That is, if it doesn't blow an engine on the way to the liquor store first...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRfi2bZkGL8[/YOUTUBE]

Oh My God :confused:

Ok, my aunt's family had one of those in a wagon back in the day. Biggest piece of shit I've ever had the misfortune to drive. The only put on one coat of primer and one coat of paint, so by the end of it's life you would get Tetanus just from looking at it. The car was on it's THIRD engine when it finally limped down to the junkyard (they would only pay $60 for it) and it blew that engine on the final turn into the lot. Starting it was a 10 minute ordeal, in fact, I think my cousin ended up putting a truck battery in it so he wouldn't run out of power trying to crank the thing. I can't even count how many things went wrong on that car.

Funny Story about "Ben" (yes, the car was named Ben).
The passenger door lock failed, but only to lock the car. It would unlock fine but not lock, you had to remember to reach over and do that manually. Also, the engine ignition was so worn that you could start the car just by twisting the ignition without the key in it (the older GM models had little paddles to turn the ignition because they had such tiny keys). I think you can see where this is going. One day my cousin arrives at school and gets the "Rockstar Parking Spot" right by the steps to the school. I arrive later and park out in the lot, but I have to walk past his car to get to class. "Hmm, Brian got the good spot. I wonder if he ever fixed that door like he said he would?" Nope. "I wonder if he ever fixed that ignition problem" Nope. "I wonder if he would mind if I moved his car to the farthest parking spot in the lot?" Oh yeah.

Oh so that's what the famous Ben you talked me about in Tiburon in June looks like! :lol:
I got to admit it's even worse that what I was imagining :-D

And... 98bhp for a car like that?? Does that even move?