Ownership Verified: 1989 Ford Bronco

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
So, sold the 1995 F-350 PowerStroke then bought something a bit handier and in line with what I think I'm going to need this year. This is a 1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 I picked up for $1700 and change. It has the 302cid/5.0L V8, the AOD automatic transmission, power windows/locks and would have power mirrors if the PO hadn't removed them and replaced them with Western towing style mirrors. Pretty much everything seems to work except for a small radiator leak (radiators are cheap for this thing) and the window motors need their nylon "safety dowels" replaced. The badges have fallen off so I'm not sure what trim level it is - it has Eddie Bauer seats plus other trim bits make me think it's an EB; the GDPO glued a later model EB badge on the dash, though he claims the seats are original. The truck has a little under 101K on the clock, so very low miles for the age. Pics below were taken right after cleaning the "For Sale" shoe polish signs off the windows.

Der Stig's 919 has a cameo in this one.

The classic Detroit vacuum reservoir n?e food can.

If you're wondering why the doors and one fender don't quite match the rest of the truck, apparently they got bashed in (one side by offroad adventures, one by a careless idiot running into it) and they were replaced with ones off a donor F-150. The frame is straight and none of the underpinnings show damage.

Der Stig and CrazyJeeper have both driven it and say I made out like a bandit/basically stole it. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: lip
Pretty much the same kind my dad had it seems.
http://i.imgur.com/PDEAhgE.jpg

Congrats on new car then, they're fun to drive really, unless you're looking for speed... and stability in cornering, i don't recomend going too quick in a corner and get sideways on a wet narrow mountain road with cliffs while in RWD mode with it, practically saw my life flashing before my eyes. :p

Pretty much the same kind my dad had it seems.
http://i.imgur.com/PDEAhgE.jpg

Congrats on new car then, they're fun to drive really, unless you're looking for speed... and stability in cornering, i don't recomend going too quick in a corner and get sideways on a wet narrow mountain road with cliffs while in RWD mode with it, practically saw my life flashing before my eyes. :p

Thanks. Forgot to mention that it's a tow package Bronco, so it came with quad front shocks, HD rear shocks and other towing oriented stuff; it also has the separate 'Super Cooling' package with a much larger radiator and related HD cooling equipment. Sadly, someone forgot to order one of the optional axle setups, so the axles are open 3.55 ratio diffs. Something that will hopefully be changed soon.

I also forgot to mention that it came with a literal truckload of parts.

That's CrazyJeeper's modern F-150 in front, carrying all the parts that wouldn't fit in the Bronco. Among other things, it came with a perfect rust-free used and reconditioned tailgate and a great rust-free right rear quarter panel. As in quite literally one quarter of the truck's exterior - everything from the leading edge of the B pillar all the way back to the tailgate, from roof to sill. That was one big, heavy panel. :D

Last edited:
Awesome score man. Your F350 was nice, but this thing ought to be a lot more fun to blast around in day to day.

Plus you can pop the top (and doors, I guess) off and confuse all the non-motorhead rubes. "Is that a Jeep? :? "

I looked these in my area last year, they were either rusted out, beatup and worn out or they wanted a metric ton for them.
Sounds right. I looked for 4x4 Broncos, Blazers and Scouts on and off for years around KC. Almost anything you find something under two grand it's practically rusted in half.

Nice find! The only thing that is sometimes irritating is the AOD's shift points. Bruuuuh bruh, oooooo. Second gear? Who needs it? I first thought the AOD in my flareside was messed up and going to crap out but, after the rebuild from a damaged TV cable, it shifted the same way. The wagon's AOD is the same.

Wasn't this model the last "easy to remove" type of tops? I know it's possible on the later versions but, there's so much trim to remove, it's prohibitive.

I remember that dash. Growing up my dad drove an '88 F350 diesel. I have fond memories of that truck.

Yes, this has the simpler removal system as there's no electrics or seatbelt attachments in the shell. It just unbolts and comes off.

I remember that dash. Growing up my dad drove an '88 F350 diesel. I have fond memories of that truck.

You may soon be seeing the even older pre-87 Ford dash soon in another FG member's possession - if the deal I'm working today works out for everyone. :)

Had to replace the radiator (no surprise, problem disclosed at time of sale):

After a few teething problems with that, went to the junkyard and picked up a 3G alternator to replace the fire-prone and anemic by modern standards 2G that's going out on my truck; picked up a second one for Der Stig at the same time.

So far, very pleased with this truck overall.

Excellent! But I think you already knew I thought that!

Heh, thanks.

I forgot to post this pic - when I said I got a quarter panel with it, this is what I meant.

I should also credit CrazyJeeper - he turned up this weekend and helped me replace the perennially broken rear window motor on the truck. Unless it's been recently serviced, pretty much every Bronco has a dysfunctional or non-functional rear window - so not really a surprise.

Last edited:
I should also credit CrazyJeeper - he turned up this weekend and helped me replace the perennially broken rear window motor on the truck. Unless it's been recently serviced, pretty much every Bronco has a dysfunctional or non-functional rear window - so not really a surprise.

Yup, wagon had similar issues but was replaced before I took possession. I just need the upper right latch replaced.

So what are the long-term plans for the Bronco? Interior? Paint?

Not much by way of plans for it, other than the usual reliability and modernization updates. For example, that 3G alternator goes in tomorrow and I am ordering LED bulbs to replace all the interior lighting.

Suspension and other similar mods will probably be more desert racer oriented and less rockcrawler. Paint will be in the distant future.

bronco prerunner.JPG

Ah yeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhh :lol:

If you do decide to go that road with it, I'll definitely be looking forward to it.

I fully support this plan.