Ownership Verified: 1995 Jaguar XJR manual

I should just straight-up buy this car.

I now have a Bosch starter that's way quieter than what came before. This is why:

The missing chunk of starter nose ended up in the bellhousing, briefly screwing up my clutch engagement before it got free. Shop dropped the transmission to get it out and now I have it as an odd souvenir.

The immediate circumstances were the car stalling after pushing in the clutch (likely due to bad ignition coils, which I've replaced) and then trying to start it; I may have tried to restart it before the engine completely stopped. Maybe it was incorrectly installed at the time of the swap when they changed the flywheel? At this point I'm just guessing.

Customized shift knob in place.

This beast is such a joy to drive even as a commuter, so long as I don't think hard about my gas mileage.

Kitty does great in snow. I don't really need the Saab.

Kitty does great in snow. I don't really need the Saab.

Have you no sense of decency? That is pure animal cruelty! I beg of you to do the right thing!

[FONT=&quot]Following Saab's 99/900 Wagonback tradition, the new 9000 debuted as a five-door hatchback with split/folding rear seats, offering station wagon capacity under a steeply sloping rear window; while the 9000 was physically shorter than its 900 stablemate, it was more roomy inside with 123-cu.ft. of interior space (23.5-cu.ft. in the trunk, 56.5-cu.ft. with rear seats folded), qualifying as an EPA-rated "large" car, a distinction shared only with the contemporary Rolls-Royce in America.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Period advertising boasted, "The 5-speed Saab 9000 Aero will streak from 50 to 75 mph faster than a Ferrari Testarossa or a Porsche Carrera 4." Writing for Automobile magazine, David E. Davis summed up its performance with the following: "I look at the dry specifications I've written here and see that nowhere do they make your eyes pop the way the car does when you shift down to third and stand on it to pass somebody who thought he was driving pretty briskly. The 9000 Aero is an enthusiast's car, period. It has more capability than you need, but it's just what you've always wanted."[/FONT]

Meanwhile, the X300 and X308, especially as regular wheelbase editions, have about as much room inside as my VW Polo.

Well, you need something a bit more reliable than a Jaaaaag.

Wait a minute...... Never mind :cry:

I wholeheartedly suggest he buys a USA-model Peugeot 405 or 505 :lol:

There's actually a pretty decent enthusiast group for them on FB, taking care of parts needs and giving helpful hints.

Well, you need something a bit more reliable than a Jaaaaag.

Wait a minute...... Never mind :cry:

Joking aside, my parents had an (89?) Saab 9000 Turbo and a 1985 XJ6, both from new. Anyone want to guess which one got sent to the boneyard for too many malfunctions and which one soldiered on twenty some years and was still running when it was sold on to a new owner? Hint: The one with a growling kitty badge in several places about the exterior is still running around and I have been in contact with the current owner several times.

There's reasons I'm not terribly impressed by Saabs. Immediate family ownership experience is one of them. :p

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly suggest he buys a USA-model Peugeot 405 or 505 :lol:

There's actually a pretty decent enthusiast group for them on FB, taking care of parts needs and giving helpful hints.

I know where he can get a nice running one. Recently refreshed electronics! Only minorly debilitating rust issues!

I know where he can get a nice running one. Recently refreshed electronics! Only minorly debilitating rust issues!

There's an almost running one in Philly, with a soon-to-be-replaced distributor :lol:

Truth be told, the 405 is not a big ruster. Sure, the paint can flake off like on anybody's car, but it's not really a rotten car by design. Biggest issue is parts availability anywhere outside France.

There's an almost running one in Philly, with a soon-to-be-replaced distributor :lol:

Truth be told, the 405 is not a big ruster. Sure, the paint can flake off like on anybody's car, but it's not really a rotten car by design. Biggest issue is parts availability anywhere outside France.

I think jibduh was referring to his own 405 Mi16 :lol: You're not the only one on this forum with weird old French cars.