Ownership Verified: 1998 Mustang Cobra - A snake without a heart

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Frontier Pro-4X - BRZ - D21 Hardbody
As some of you saw in the Random Thoughts a friend of mine had a 1998 Mustang Cobra beside his shop that needs an engine and transmission. We struck a deal and I picked it up today.

The car is pretty clean, no accidents, chassis has 107k miles. The original engine and trans are gone, but most of the other parts are in the car.

Plan is to find an Aviator engine and a 3650 Tremec. Drop that in and have a fun cruiser.

uploadfromtaptalk1431379375139.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1431379389645.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1431379401704.jpg

Dat BAB doe....... :drool: :drool:

Damn man, you have one helluva ranch going there. BTW did those Cobras have IRSes?

You know, your spiritual ownership in Lucille adds another car that doesn't run right to your yard... :)

I think that was the '99->'04s.

To be specific, there were only cobras in 99, 01, 03, and 04.

All the 99s got recalled for being underpowered, so ford didn't make any in 00, then they restarted production in 01, ended in 02, and the Terminator motor debuted in 03.

Any reason you are looking for an Aviator motor over a Mark VIII?

"picked up another mustang..." :D

At least this one didn't come to me on a forklift.

Damn man, you have one helluva ranch going there.

Thanks. Though I think it's time to thin the heard a bit and just work on the latest acquisition.

Plenty of Aviators on IAAI.

I'll keep an eye on those. Hopefully I can get what I need without buying an entire truck though.

You know, your spiritual ownership in Lucille adds another car that doesn't run right to your yard... :)

That brings the total to 6, I think...

Love the colour, but it's a child only a parent could love. :???:

Not a Mustang fan?

To be specific, there were only cobras in 99, 01, 03, and 04.

All the 99s got recalled for being underpowered, so ford didn't make any in 00, then they restarted production in 01, ended in 02, and the Terminator motor debuted in 03.

Don't forget about the 2000 Cobra R and the Australian export 2002 Cobras.

Any reason you are looking for an Aviator motor over a Mark VIII?

C head vs B head. Plus the availability is about the same in salvages.

Ah. Didn't realize Aviators are that easy to find, the Mark VIIIs are everywhere around here.

And yes, thank you for the correction. Mustn't forget about the R.

Last edited:
Ah. Didn't realize Aviators are that easy to find, the Mark VIIIs are everywhere around here.

And yes, thank you for the correction. Mustn't forget about the R.

Ten plus year old sport utes, easy to find around here. The Mark VIIIs are actually getting a little tough to find. I think everyone finally caught on to the fact that the engine is nearly a Cobra engine. What's also interesting about the Aviator is it's a 2003-2004 Mach 1 automatic engine. Cast crank though, not like the Cobras.

Ten plus year old sport utes, easy to find around here. The Mark VIIIs are actually getting a little tough to find. I think everyone finally caught on to the fact that the engine is nearly a Cobra engine. What's also interesting about the Aviator is it's a 2003-2004 Mach 1 automatic engine. Cast crank though, not like the Cobras.

Same cams as the 03-04 Mach 1? So you can do the 98 Cobra Intake cam swap?

I'm not 100% sure on the either cam issue. I'll have to read up on it.

If its the same cam as the Mach 1, swapping to a 98 Cobra Intake cam nets you a healthy 20-30whp.