[19x02] February 3rd, 2013

[19x02] February 3rd, 2013

• Total voters
i found this. i was very happy. http://www.stream2watch.me/live-tv/bbc-2-live-stream

doesn't work anymore. i'd say it was a great episode. both the last weeks and today's episodes are a lot better than anything they made in the last 3-4 years. hope this good trend continues.

Last edited:
One of the best top gear episodes ever. Honestly guys that was brilliant.

I found it better than the 16x01 [USA Road Trip], but not as good as 12x02 [Muscle Car Challenge] or 09x03 [US Special]. I also found it better than last week, which I gave a 7, so I gave this one an 8.

Ok episode but again... I don't know what is wrong with me but this felt like something was missing. Very bland.
Everything was ok. Challenge, news, guest but still...something something...

Usa film wasn't nearly as good as i expected 6/10
SIARPC 9/10
News 7/10

Overall 7

Also music in this episode was rubbish.

Quite disappointed. 5/10. Alright, all in all this was a quite entertaining show. But: The only relevant conlusion of the boy's US-journey was that Jeremy called the LFA the best car he's ever driven. Once again: the BEST car EVER! And none of the footage they've shown to us explains why. They could have worked it out with the Las Vegas track bit, but instead they chose a pointless areoplane fight. So after all, you don't see Jeremy get excited about the car and you don't get any hint why it's so special. Instead we have to be told that it's epic and exciting and special. Plus, all three of the boys seem to have lost some of their passion for motoring and cars. It all seems so routine to them.
I remember so many car reviews and road trips that really felt special to me, that quickend the heart beat and amazed me. This wasn't one of them.

Finally a good roadtrip again! And in May I'll be driving some of the roads (Valley of Fire to Las Vegas, US-95 from Las Vegas to the north) they were driving. :) Does anybody know exactly where they started?

Yes, the sabotage of the Viper was pretty predictable, but not unfunny. Willow Springs was a bit too long, could have been shorter to leave more space to epic landscape in the Death Valley, Yosemite National Park or at the beginning at the Valley of Fire. The "we were going only 55" was a bit overstretched, too, but it had to be done to not have a boring "race" where the one who sets off first is the winner.

News - the "anti-nod-off-device" has been featured in an early season already, but it was with a little twist.
SIARPC - didn't care

Final verdict: 8/10

6/10. Didn't get a road trip vibe like I got with the Florida journey :(, the laser tag thing was daft (love the planes though). Clarkson didn't really bring across any passion for a car he says is the best in the world, he did in the past for the gallardo, e60 m5, ariel atom, F430..

It wasn't a bad episode or anything but compared to (IMO) last weeks strong start it was a bit dull.

Very good episode tonight, much better than last week.

Although the road trip wasn't the best, it was still good. I loved the ongoing joke about 55mph. :D
The cars were epic, and although I would have liked to have seen each driver give a bit more feedback on their cars, there was still enough factual there and plenty of entertainment. Plus there was very little in the way of forced comedy (unlike Jeremy's P45 section last week).

News was lacking in any real content, but at least it was short.

Mick Fleetwood was an awesome guest.

All in all, I loved it - good to see more standard Top Gear service resume with very little forced / fake comedy and just the lads enjoying themselves doing what they love. 8.5/10.

Ok episode but again... I don't know what is wrong with me but this felt like something was missing. Very bland.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.... and I think it's because everything is happening very fast and they are not paying attention to the details any more.... the music is not so-carefully chosen, the script is average..... not the mention the passion that the three of them share for this program..... I remember watching some of the early episodes over and over again and thinking how exceptional they were.... and now..... I don't know..... but still, a minor improvement to the last week's episode.

8/10 pretty funny at some points, but the three cars didn't get enough of the spotlight for us to judge if they're good or not. Although, I'm fully with Jezza on the LFA. He's spot on (and I say this with personal experience)

Edit: so happy they're finally done with Tron soundtrack and gone for Avengers. Two years was enough for one Disney movie soundtrack overplayed.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the episode quite a lot. It's a shame we didn't see any of you-know-who you-know-where at the end (yet)!

I liked the 55MPH joke.

Interesting this - i'm with others in that there was nothing wrong - it was funny, news was entertaining, the cinematography was great, the music was well chosen in a lot of places, the humour didn't seem forced, but something - and I don't know what - was missing.
I keep going back to the "Best driving road in europe" episode and can watch it over and over, but this, I dunno? I'll go for an 8.5/10. I'd love to know what it is that's missing because if Wilman PM'd me and asked me what was lacking I couldn't answer. Maybe it's that it's not just the driving and the road. Too many "stop for event X" - the drag racing I didn't much care for (although it was amusing in places), the dogfight segment was epic to watch, but more because of the planes than the cars, and the last part of the race? Well the roads were straight... maybe that's it...

This. There was nothing essentially wrong with it, the cinematography and the setting were excellent, the news was funny, the SIARPC pretty good and the expected goofing off at the end absent but for some reason it left me without goosebumps, pinpricks behind the eyes or a sense of drama. I hate to say this but to me while I am sure they had a good time making it they failed to convey that and it rather felt like they were just going through the motions.

While it was a good episode to show to someone who is a TG sceptic it is already proving itself to be one that didn't stick in the memory.

7/10

Interestingly I was just reading the Calexico Wikipedia article the other day...

I felt it was pretty good, the border run wasn't as bad as I expected, and was justified as more of a race and less scripted naffness. Decent episode, nothing overly amazing, but nothing awful either. Hammond teeth jokes still raise a smile with me as well. :)

7/10.

Edit: Thanks Eye-Q as well, I was sure I'd seen the nodding off thing in the news before. That was just lazy bringing it back. <_<

Last edited: