20 August 2017 Igniters Car Show - Chillicothe, Ohio, U.S.A.

SquareLeft

Car(s)
2019 Mazda6 Sport, 2002 Subaru WRX
The Igniters is a car club that has survived since the 1950s. They put on one of the best car shows in Ohio and I try to attend every year. It's a very popular show - they had almost 300 entries this year. It's held in Chillicothe's Yoctangee Park - lots of shade, nice walking paths and lots of available park benches!

I spent several hours there and could have taken literally hundreds of photos, but that's not my style. I only took photos of cars that I thought were very well done and interesting (at least to me :p). So, here are photos of the 18 cars that really caught my eye!

[/IMG]
1971 Chevrolet Nova SS - despite the mirrors on the ground and the chrome on the engine, I think this one gets driven hard. Why? The rear axle has a set of very serious traction bars and also a well-worn pair of BFG Drag Radials on the rear wheels...:nod:

[/IMG]
1928 Franklin sedan - definitely a survivor! These big cars were air-cooled!

[/IMG]
1939 Buick street rod with Chevrolet power (not something I would have done, but... to each his own).

[/IMG]
Vehicles from this odd genre are known as 'doodlebugs'. This one is complete with a non-functioning moonshine still behind the seats. The vehicle is based on a 1929 Model A Ford.

[/IMG]
1955 Chevrolet 2-door hardtop - mild custom? street rod?? You decide! No matter what you call it, the paint was gorgeous!!

[/IMG]
1937 Studebaker coupe - very likely a survivor. Note the unique shape of the rear window. I spent way too much time walking around this one!

[/IMG]
Model A Ford sedan hotrod. Note the open exhaust - this thing is LOUD!

[/IMG]
1939 (English) Ford Perfect - power comes from a small-block Ford V8 with an automatic transmission.

[/IMG]
This 1957 Buick is one of my favorites of the cars that show up regularly at area shows. It's a mild custom with a 401 c.i. Buick 'nail-head' engine complete with two 4-barrel carburetors. Paint and interior are flawless.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
1960 Pontiac station wagon. This is a 'driver', but very well-kept. The 389 c.i. engine carries three 2-barrel carburetors. A Vintage Air air conditioner/heater unit replaces the original ventilation system.

[/IMG]
1963 Chevrolet Impala SS with an interesting paint scheme. Engine appears to be a 350 c.i. small-block Chevy with tuned-port injection.

[/IMG]
1962 Plymouth Fury powered by a 413 c.i. 'Max Wedge' engine with a cross-ram intake manifold supporting two 4-barrel carburetors. It also has a 'pushbutton' Torqueflite transmission.

[/IMG]
1963 Cadillac convertible. Quite possibly a 'survivor' - no evidence of a re-paint was visible.

[/IMG]
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix. Power comes from a 389 c.i. engine with three 2-barrel carburetors that's backed by what appears to be an original 4-speed manual transmission, complete with the correct console.

[/IMG]
1964 Ford Falcon that's had a late model (351 c.i.?) engine swap.

[/IMG]
1967 Ford Mustang coupe with a later-model 5-liter engine swapped in along with a 5-speed manual transmission.

[/IMG]
1969 Chevrolet Nova with SS trim and a swapped-in 427 c.i. Chevy 'rat' V8.

[/IMG]
Very well-kept 1970 Chevrolet Impala coupe. Very likely another 'survivor', as paint and interior looked original.

SL

Last edited:

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
Nice selection! Great photos!

On the 351 vs 302, it's pretty easy to tell them apart. If there is basically no material between the water pump and the deck, it's a 302. If there's about 3/4 to an inch of material, it's a 351.