20 August 2017 Igniters Car Show - Chillicothe, Ohio, U.S.A.

SquareLeft

Car(s)
2019 Mazda6 Sport, 2002 Subaru WRX, 1961 Morgan
The Igniters is a car club that has survived since the 1950s. They put on one of the best car shows in Ohio and I try to attend every year. It's a very popular show - they had almost 300 entries this year. It's held in Chillicothe's Yoctangee Park - lots of shade, nice walking paths and lots of available park benches!

I spent several hours there and could have taken literally hundreds of photos, but that's not my style. I only took photos of cars that I thought were very well done and interesting (at least to me :p). So, here are photos of the 18 cars that really caught my eye!

F1wKPwP.jpg
[/IMG]
1971 Chevrolet Nova SS - despite the mirrors on the ground and the chrome on the engine, I think this one gets driven hard. Why? The rear axle has a set of very serious traction bars and also a well-worn pair of BFG Drag Radials on the rear wheels...:nod:

ZgCQDZi.jpg
[/IMG]
1928 Franklin sedan - definitely a survivor! These big cars were air-cooled!

pwNDdFp.jpg
[/IMG]
1939 Buick street rod with Chevrolet power (not something I would have done, but... to each his own).

fTBJz86.jpg
[/IMG]
Vehicles from this odd genre are known as 'doodlebugs'. This one is complete with a non-functioning moonshine still behind the seats. The vehicle is based on a 1929 Model A Ford.

bPfhFeM.jpg
[/IMG]
1955 Chevrolet 2-door hardtop - mild custom? street rod?? You decide! No matter what you call it, the paint was gorgeous!!

qlODTiP.jpg
[/IMG]
1937 Studebaker coupe - very likely a survivor. Note the unique shape of the rear window. I spent way too much time walking around this one!

5bOgxZ9.jpg
[/IMG]
Model A Ford sedan hotrod. Note the open exhaust - this thing is LOUD!

rmhCMJX.jpg
[/IMG]
1939 (English) Ford Perfect - power comes from a small-block Ford V8 with an automatic transmission.

2FsjTJ8.jpg
[/IMG]
This 1957 Buick is one of my favorites of the cars that show up regularly at area shows. It's a mild custom with a 401 c.i. Buick 'nail-head' engine complete with two 4-barrel carburetors. Paint and interior are flawless.

bLlz20R.jpg
[/IMG]
UfBkJNu.jpg
[/IMG]
1960 Pontiac station wagon. This is a 'driver', but very well-kept. The 389 c.i. engine carries three 2-barrel carburetors. A Vintage Air air conditioner/heater unit replaces the original ventilation system.

b37p5ZH.jpg
[/IMG]
1963 Chevrolet Impala SS with an interesting paint scheme. Engine appears to be a 350 c.i. small-block Chevy with tuned-port injection.

pSX5N46.jpg
[/IMG]
1962 Plymouth Fury powered by a 413 c.i. 'Max Wedge' engine with a cross-ram intake manifold supporting two 4-barrel carburetors. It also has a 'pushbutton' Torqueflite transmission.

mhNxvHU.jpg
[/IMG]
1963 Cadillac convertible. Quite possibly a 'survivor' - no evidence of a re-paint was visible.

0Nc6EfB.jpg
[/IMG]
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix. Power comes from a 389 c.i. engine with three 2-barrel carburetors that's backed by what appears to be an original 4-speed manual transmission, complete with the correct console.

BBymBtn.jpg
[/IMG]
1964 Ford Falcon that's had a late model (351 c.i.?) engine swap.

uQZYtHG.jpg
[/IMG]
1967 Ford Mustang coupe with a later-model 5-liter engine swapped in along with a 5-speed manual transmission.

zknBetS.jpg
[/IMG]
1969 Chevrolet Nova with SS trim and a swapped-in 427 c.i. Chevy 'rat' V8.

RDjrcwK.jpg
[/IMG]
Very well-kept 1970 Chevrolet Impala coupe. Very likely another 'survivor', as paint and interior looked original.

SL

Last edited:
Nice selection! Great photos!

On the 351 vs 302, it's pretty easy to tell them apart. If there is basically no material between the water pump and the deck, it's a 302. If there's about 3/4 to an inch of material, it's a 351.