No 56k: 2003 Ford Focus SVT (ST170)

So $239 and change to put a new oil pan gasket which I now find out wasn't even what the leak was and new spark plugs. Now I put that stop oil leak stuff and hope it lasts me until I can either afford to fix it or sell it. As a bonus I hope when they reconnected the shift cable it solves that apparent "shift bushing" issue that the tech said I had which I didn't. At least now I should have a hard time shifting to second.

By the end of April I should be able to have a payoff for what I can sell it for assuming I only make the minimum payments.

This car is now sold.

I bought a Mercury Mountaineer Luxury V8 for my daily driver. A new topic coming tomorrow when the sun is out.

Last edited:
This car is now sold.

I bought a Mercury Mountaineer Luxury V8 for my daily driver. A new topic coming tomorrow when the sun is out.

Necropost-reply FTW! So, ummmm, I miss the shit out of this car. Like, a lot. The driving experience when it was running without mechanical issues was sublime. Hard to believe I've been through this many vehicles since this Focus and I keep having unhealthy nostalgia and desire to get another one as a toy. :lol: Once the credit cards are paid down or completely off maybe I'll buy another one and throw a turbo on it for some POWAHHHH!!! <-- Not a joke.

I don't have the proof pick but I did upload some pics of him when I owned him. Man he looks damn good all cleaned up in the sunlight.

*edit*
My wife misses her RX-8 too...

38171604004_original.jpg

38171604002_original.jpg

38171604003_original.jpg

Last edited:
I love those....
I nearly bought a non-SVT 2.0 Focus and LOVED driving it. I can only imagine that one.

I love those....
I nearly bought a non-SVT 2.0 Focus and LOVED driving it. I can only imagine that one.

Dude, the SVT is literally the best handling car I've ever driven. It felt insanely balanced in the twisties and had a good acceleration punch just north above ~3,500 RPM or so which Craig can testify to. :mrgreen: I honestly feel like it handles better than the newer ST model. Faster no, better handing yes.

I missed mine enough to try and track it down. Found it, but the guy has riced out the poor thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Oh no. :wall: That's terrible Craig... I'm almost afraid to look for mine. I'm leaning towards buying one for cheap ($2,500 or less) and fixing it up myself to be reliable. I don't trust buying one that is sold with the appearance of being clean and in working order. :lol:

I missed mine enough to try and track it down. Found it, but the guy has riced out the poor thing.

When you said you were selling it, I told you it was a mistake...in fact, many people did. :p

Dude, the SVT is literally the best handling car I've ever driven. It felt insanely balanced in the twisties and had a good acceleration punch just north above ~3,500 RPM or so which Craig can testify to. :mrgreen: I honestly feel like it handles better than the newer ST model. Faster no, better handing yes.
Maybe because it is lighter? :dunno:
448lbs if Car and Driver can be trusted.

Last edited:

I'll agree it was the best handling car I'd driven as well. I remember I'd take corners around town way faster than I probably should have, just for the grin it would put on my face.

It did almost have a V-tec like punch. Probably the intake change.

Oh no. :wall: That's terrible Craig... I'm almost afraid to look for mine. I'm leaning towards buying one for cheap ($2,500 or less) and fixing it up myself to be reliable. I don't trust buying one that is sold with the appearance of being clean and in working order.

That's probably what put me of more than the fact he had riced it. He claimed it had a lot of problems that he fixed and he wanted $4,000 for it. Way more than any others I'd found.

When you said you were selling it, I told you it was a mistake...in fact, many people did. :p

I know, I know. I'll get another at some point, they aren't that rare.

Maybe because it is lighter? :dunno:
448lbs if Car and Driver can be trusted.

Weight and suspension I suspect worked hand-in-hand to produce better results. :D

I'll agree it was the best handling car I'd driven as well. I remember I'd take corners around town way faster than I probably should have, just for the grin it would put on my face.

You and me both! I literally took corners twice as fast as any of the other cars I had driven on those same corners over the years.

It did almost have a V-tec like punch. Probably the intake change.

It was the VCT doing it yea?

That's probably what put me of more than the fact he had riced it. He claimed it had a lot of problems that he fixed and he wanted $4,000 for it. Way more than any others I'd found.

It only had "a lot of problems" most likely because he neglected the maintenance and drove the ever-living-shit out of it. $4,000 is just too much regardless for any of these that aren't unmodified and under 100k miles.

I know, I know. I'll get another at some point, they aren't that rare.

Well, they are rare in the sense that finding one unmodified and within a reasonable mileage / price is extremely difficult. I'd still classify them as rare regardless though, I'm sure since I sold mine several years ago a few have been totaled. :(

There's plenty around the $3k mark in Texas... :)

I almost bought one last Friday for $800 that had a blown head gastket 270 miles away in Victoria TX but someone beat me to it... I'll be looking for one around $2,000~2,500 or less once the credit cards get paid off. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one local that has a similar mechanical issue where I can swoop in and low-ball the owner for cheap. ;)

My ST170 is still at the hands of the guy who bought it from me (no bigger issues when I spoke to him), no ricing but crashing :cry: rocker panel to a rock, bent really nicely.

I am pretty much always pro EU-look when it comes to cars but can I just say that I like how the US Focus looks. Love the indicators up front which are nearly more in the center of the car than on the outside; I even find the overbite of the rear bumper to be sexy. Cool car, these.

My ST170 is still at the hands of the guy who bought it from me (no bigger issues when I spoke to him), no ricing but crashing :cry: rocker panel to a rock, bent really nicely.

That sucks mate. :( Any pics of it when you had it?

I am pretty much always pro EU-look when it comes to cars but can I just say that I like how the US Focus looks. Love the indicators up front which are nearly more in the center of the car than on the outside; I even find the overbite of the rear bumper to be sexy. Cool car, these.

Thanks. :) Usually I also agree the EU variants usually are better looking but I think I do prefer the US 1st gen Focus. I really miss mine. I convinced the wife to let me buy one so gotta pay down those credit cards! :D

Definitely a beauty in that color!

I wouldnt buy one without that color

I actually feel that way about my red. But could be persuaded to get your blue if the price/condition were right. :D