No 56k: 2003 Ford Focus SVT (ST170)

Sorry you've had so much trouble with the car looks like the Mexicans who built it weren't paying attention the day yours was built.

I towed the car to the dealer today. *grumble grumble*

Sorry you've had so much trouble with the car looks like the Mexicans who built it weren't paying attention the day yours was built.

Yea, I'd imagine it was cinco de mayo and they were seriously drunk. :D

I towed the car to the dealer today. *grumble grumble*

Yea, I'd imagine it was cinco de mayo and they were seriously drunk. :D

The SVT's are strange, they seem to be either stone dead reliable or hunks of crap, not much in between.

I don't know if it's true or not but I read once a post by someone who said they ordered parts from the VW plant in mexico and there were some empty beer bottles in the box :lol:
It would explain some questions about build quality... though if I was a mexican factory worker I would probably want to be drunk too.

70,000 miles you say...isn't it time for a timing belt change soon?

Quoting from the SVTPerformance forums:
It is a belt and the SVT Focus has an interference engine.
The Gates part number for the full kit is TCK294A (belt, tensioner,2 idlers).
Just the belt is T294.
There are special tools required for the job to lock the cams into position.
It is not a fun job for someone who has not done it on one of these before.

Also, though the manual says 100K, 70K is the generally accepted 'correct' time as it seems Ford was more than a bit optimistic about the life of the belt and other components...

http://forums.focaljet.com/svt-headquarters/617572-02-svt-timing-belt-service-interval.html

And, like most belt-driven-cam cars, you should replace the water pump while you're at it - if only to avoid possible coolant contamination of your belt when you have to change it later on.

Last edited:
Yummy, a new pic to display! <_<

1-24-2011.JPG

Fixing the axle and wheel berring. Maybe if I feel generous I'll have them fix the thermo housing and coolant hose. :rolleyes:

The SVT's are strange, they seem to be either stone dead reliable or hunks of crap, not much in between.

This is probably 98% correct. The 2% margin for error is the common problems that we all have with this car. Clutch master cylinder, easy-to-bend wheels and the clutch isn't as strong as it needed to be from the factory.

I don't know if it's true or not but I read once a post by someone who said they ordered parts from the VW plant in mexico and there were some empty beer bottles in the box :lol:
It would explain some questions about build quality... though if I was a mexican factory worker I would probably want to be drunk too.

That would be hilarious to a point seeing those beer bottles in that box. :lol:

70,000 miles you say...isn't it time for a timing belt change soon?

Not for me, I'm selling this SOB. I'm not even putting any mileage on it. Infact I won't even hit 70k most likely with my 0.7mi commute to work. :D

Quoting from the SVTPerformance forums:

Also, though the manual says 100K, 70K is the generally accepted 'correct' time as it seems Ford was more than a bit optimistic about the life of the belt and other components...

http://forums.focaljet.com/svt-headquarters/617572-02-svt-timing-belt-service-interval.html

And, like most belt-driven-cam cars, you should replace the water pump while you're at it - if only to avoid possible coolant contamination of your belt when you have to change it later on.

I would if I were to of kept the car. But 'F' it. I'm done with this car. I'm tired of paying money for repairs.

Too bad such a nice Focus goes that way...
It looks amazing and is much more aggresive than my 1.6 Euro focus will ever be.
Mine's a dog though, 200.000km and only an oil consumption issue (worn out piston rings) but I guess I'm replacing the motor when things go really bad.

Add a thermostat housing to my repair list for an additional $165 for a grand total so far of $2,015. I can't wait to sell this damn car and get something else. The next owner will get a good deal with all these repairs I'm doing at my Ford dealer.

Too bad such a nice Focus goes that way...
It looks amazing and is much more aggresive than my 1.6 Euro focus will ever be.
Mine's a dog though, 200.000km and only an oil consumption issue (worn out piston rings) but I guess I'm replacing the motor when things go really bad.

Tell me about it. I love the way it looks, very aggressive and very clean. Would of been nice to have found one that didn't give me this trouble as this one has been a nightmare and it doesn't even have 70,000 miles yet.

Once again the problem child is back in the shop. Passenger front wheel berring, battery, and an exhaust leak and or an issue with the timing. (gasp)

This could be almost as bad as the transmission cost... And I STILL have more minor repairs left...

I will update the list and total dollar amount as soon as I get it.

timing can be an arse to do..

Got the car back today with a $699 bill. That is all.

Your Focus is getting a little old you need to think about replacing the car in the next year or two IMHO.

Oh thats definitely in my plans however I have at least 12 months before I can break even on the loan vs trade in.

But, my next car will be made from 1985 - 2002 and it will be a early C4 Vette, 4th gen Camaro\Trans-Am, Mustang GT or a Nissa Maxima SE. Cheap, reliable and something I like.

thats not old... :) and for repairs 2k euros was my first bill from service. so youre not doing so bad.

Wow, my Renault cost only AU$1500 in repairs when I first got it, and that's with exorbitant Australian prices for French parts.

Heat-soak is for the birds. :mad: I did a 0-60 run today because I was bored and just happened upon a completely level flat good private road surface away from civilization (aka not on public roads). However, it was 100?F (37.7?C), with 40% humidity outside, all 4 windows were open and 15mph winds--do the math. I did the run in ~8 seconds. I'm dissecting the video now to determine the exact time but it appears to be around 8.1~8.3s [EDIT: Make that 8.5s]. That's just terrible, unacceptable even! :lol: The car feels (and frankly is) faster during the winter months, I know because I timed 6.7s and 6.8s runs during January. Oh, not to mention my front driver's tire is bald and showing steel belt! Too bad this car is a nightmare and I'm not keeping it because a tune and freer flowing exhaust would REALLY wake up the car in the low rev range.

YAY for slowness!! :rolleyes:

P.S. To those of you who have an ST170 (SVTF) what times are you getting with yours assuming they are mostly stock (minus the intake)?

EDIT:
There is a huge dead-zone in 1st gear around 3,800-4,400 rpms. It is almost like the car choking by not getting enough cool air.

Last edited:
For 170hp that's not too bad. I'm surprised by the sub 7-second times. My car has 170hp and weighs considerably less than the Focus and does 0-62mph in 7.3 seconds (claimed). I have heard cases of people going faster but I haven't timed it myself.

For 170hp that's not too bad. I'm surprised by the sub 7-second times. My car has 170hp and weighs considerably less than the Focus and does 0-62mph in 7.3 seconds (claimed). I have heard cases of people going faster but I haven't timed it myself.

How much does you Clio weigh? The Focus weighs in at an already lightweight 2,750 lbs. The right launch coupled with the cold air and a good road surface will produce good times. My Camaro was the same way as well. It also helps that I don't have the power robbing traction control. :D

How much does you Clio weigh? The Focus weighs in at an already lightweight 2,750 lbs. The right launch coupled with the cold air and a good road surface will produce good times. My Camaro was the same way as well. It also helps that I don't have the power robbing traction control. :D
The Clio weighs 1030kg, or 2270 lbs. No traction control either, it's a pretty similar setup. I'd like to try it for myself some time, I have heard of people pulling 6.8s and so on with stock Clios, so I don't know.