2006 Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG

ArosaMike said:
It's a decent enough car, but I don't see any mention of an LSD! A friend of ours has a CLK500 and it's useless in the wet. It just spins up the rear inside wheel when pulling away on any kind of surface other than perfect billiard table smooth tarmac and tries to swap ends under heavy braking. To make matters worse, the nannying traction control almost stops the car when it spins up the wheel strading you in the middle of the road! Nuts We test drove a 325, 525 and an A6 3.2 today and all of them were better than the CLK and surprisingly, the A6 wasn't actually much slower and sounded almost as nice.
Is there a V8 A6? Or is that just the S8? Is the S8 out yet?

Man, I cant wait fer 2020 when its cheap enough to buy fer honda accord money!

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
Salar said:
What?

So, how much power does it make now? probably +580 BHP?
What I'm about to say are based on theories from experts and are unofficial. I might also add that they are quite accurate..

Basically, the 63' engine seen in the ML & R-Class vehicles puts out 510BHP (3 more than M5) and 630NM of torque (110 more than M5).

However "due to high costs", this particular engine will soon go out of production. There are plans to add the supercharger and this is having Merc fans guessing how many BHP its going to have. I'v seen "563" and "571" looming around alot. Merc is set to make an announcement in the first quarter of next year.

To add to that, there are even rumours of a twin-turbo V8 based on this 63' engine and it will come close to breaking the 700BHP barrier. Obviously, thats gotta have at least 6 or 7 speeds.

^No-one knows where any of these engines are going but AMG is going to be putting the new 63' engine in the CLS, CLK and E-Class over 2006.

BTW: The 65' engine is rumoured to be replaced by a 68' engine in 2008. That will crack 700BHP and 68' is also a symbolic number for Mercedes-AMG.
GODDAMN. Thanks for info man.

Bi-Turbo V8 sounds damn awesome.

The new S-class may look nice on the outside, but I've never been a fan of the interiors. For a car of that price, I would expect a better interior than what you get in the S-class. I guess they skipped on that and spent the money on the mechanical bits you can't see.

The S-class doesn't need an LSD because nobody is going to drive it fast anyways. The only people who buy these are middle aged merchants. This is NOT a car that was designed to be driven enthusiastically. Take a corner fast in an S-class and it is scary . . . it doesn't communicate anything to you.

700 bhp in a roadcar

anyone else thinks that's a little over the top as well :roll:

ArosaMike said:
It's a decent enough car, but I don't see any mention of an LSD! A friend of ours has a CLK500 and it's useless in the wet. It just spins up the rear inside wheel when pulling away on any kind of surface other than perfect billiard table smooth tarmac and tries to swap ends under heavy braking. To make matters worse, the nannying traction control almost stops the car when it spins up the wheel strading you in the middle of the road! Nuts We test drove a 325, 525 and an A6 3.2 today and all of them were better than the CLK and surprisingly, the A6 wasn't actually much slower and sounded almost as nice.

There is a 4.2L V8 it has existed for years ;) And the S8 is coming out next year with a 450bhp 5.2L V10 which started his life in the Gallardo.

I didnt know that a S63 isnt coming, but I thought that DC is adding turbo's rather then superchargers in the future.

Z Draci said:
The new S-class may look nice on the outside, but I've never been a fan of the interiors. For a car of that price, I would expect a better interior than what you get in the S-class. I guess they skipped on that and spent the money on the mechanical bits you can't see.

The S-class doesn't need an LSD because nobody is going to drive it fast anyways. The only people who buy these are middle aged merchants. This is NOT a car that was designed to be driven enthusiastically. Take a corner fast in an S-class and it is scary . . . it doesn't communicate anything to you.

Taking a corner with anything more than 1900 kgs is scary. *Hint> rivals of S-Class*

And don't worry nobody's gonna race it in Nurburgring, these are NOT track cars.

But it's enjoyable when you totally own a $200K Murcielago or a 360 in straight line while you are sitting comfortable with your GIRLFRIENDS *ahem 4 seats, full option crap* air condition on and listening to your favorite music.

And you tell me, how many young people can own such expensive cars in overall? what's the average age of people you see drive Ferrari or Lamborghini? I'm sure its +40.

hajj said:
......... with a 450bhp 5.2L V10 which started his life in the Gallardo.

yeah, and that sucks.

I never thought this could happen to a Lamborghini.

Sure, Germans brought quality and reliabilty for Italians. But what the hell, they shouldn't use that engine in an Audi.

Z Draci said:
What don't you like about the interior? If you don't like the look of it, customise it using Mercs Designo range. Theres nothing stopping you from having pink leather if thats you thing.

The interior is very functional and succeeds at doing what a car of this type is meant to do. Utter silence, sublime comfort etc etc.
bone said:
700 bhp in a roadcar

anyone else thinks that's a little over the top as well :roll:
The German horsepower race getting outa control I think :p
700BHP isn't for a while still. Lets just hope that when its achieved, there are no speed restrictors :roll:

Does anyone know what 400KW in BHP is? I tried google but couldn't get a conversion function going..
hajj said:
ArosaMike said:

There is a 4.2L V8 it has existed for years ;) And the S8 is coming out next year with a 450bhp 5.2L V10 which started his life in the Gallardo.

I didnt know that a S63 isnt coming, but I thought that DC is adding turbo's rather then superchargers in the future.
Thanks for the info.

Not sure if its turbos or superchargers. Rumours are indicating both at the moment. Just have to wait and see..
Salar said:
Z Draci said:

Taking a corner with anything more than 1900 kgs is scary. *Hint> rivals of S-Class*
Yep, most 2tonne cars can't corner anything like an S-Class can. The newer one is even better. This is what automobilemag said about the S550 w. AMG pack they drove a few months back:
Rolls-Royce makes much use of the word "waft" to describe its cars in motion. After only a few miles, it becomes apparent that the 2007 S-class wafts, too. The steering, which in previous generations was firm and purposeful, is now creamy, taking a split second to inject some polite resistance but never really requiring any more effort as you wind in more lock. Still, the system is very precise, reassuringly so as we thread our way through one tunnel after another, seemingly always alongside a semitruck or a car pulling a trailer.

BTW: Heres an article about it by AutoCar:
http://www.autocarmagazine.com/news_article.asp?na_id=218008

jensked said:
Does anyone know what 400KW in BHP is? I tried google but couldn't get a conversion function going..

approx. 535 bhp
Thanks!

All the Aussie magazines speak in KW (God only knows why :roll:) and they were speaking of how its not long until the big 400 barrier is broken. Who uses KW's these days :?

Z Draci said:
What don't you like about the interior? If you don't like the look of it, customise it using Mercs Designo range. Theres nothing stopping you from having pink leather if thats you thing.

The interior is very functional and succeeds at doing what a car of this type is meant to do. Utter silence, sublime comfort etc etc.
bone said:
IMO the plastic engine cover is of higher quality than the plastics used in the interior. For a $100.000USD car I expect more than that! I've been driven in the previous (or current) S-class on numerous occasions and the interior was sub-par. You get that kind of interior in cars costing half the price! Plus, you can get utter silence and comfort in a Lexus too.

This is why I say that Merc spent the extra money not on a perfect interior but rather on the technology package of the entire car. The attention to detail and the packaging of the S-class is the best for the class. But are those techno gizmos worth twice the price of a Lexus?

Merc? Lexus? If I wanted an executive saloon, I'd go for the Maserati Quattroporte.

jensked said:

approx. 535 bhp
Thanks!

All the Aussie magazines speak in KW (God only knows why :roll:) and they were speaking of how its not long until the big 400 barrier is broken. Who uses KW's these days :?

i'd be happy to use KW instead of that stupid hp

hp is from the time of coalmining, why still use it?

and if you want hp, you need to calculate kw, and then tranverse this to hp

Z Draci said:
Z Draci said:

IMO the plastic engine cover is of higher quality than the plastics used in the interior. For a $100.000USD car I expect more than that! I've been driven in the previous (or current) S-class on numerous occasions and the interior was sub-par. You get that kind of interior in cars costing half the price! Plus, you can get utter silence and comfort in a Lexus too.

This is why I say that Merc spent the extra money not on a perfect interior but rather on the technology package of the entire car. The attention to detail and the packaging of the S-class is the best for the class. But are those techno gizmos worth twice the price of a Lexus?

Merc? Lexus? If I wanted an executive saloon, I'd go for the Maserati Quattroporte.
I see. So your problem is with the interior plastics.

What plastics do you speak of exactly? The air-con vents, the few switch gear (seeing as most things are controled through the computer). I really can't think of any more plastics in the car. Or are you speaking of the old S-Class cos that was filled with heaps of nasty plastics. So have you even been in a new S?

hajj said:
ArosaMike said:

Thanks for the info.
There's not only V8 available for the A6, the RS6 even had a twin-turbo V8! :mrgreen:

jensked said:

approx. 535 bhp
I'm going to tell you how to calculate this, SL. Just multiply the KW by 1.36 and you get the hp.

Which in this case would be ~544 hp according to my calculations. ;)

^ I use 0.75 for my rough calcs, divide kw by 0.75 to get hp, multiply hp by 0.75 to get kw - which gives me 533hp for 400kw.

A little of topic action:
hajj wrote:

yeah, and that sucks.

Sure, Germans brought quality and reliabilty for Italians. But what the hell, they shouldn't use that engine in an Audi.

Hmmm, and where did the V10 Gallardo engine start it's life :huh: ?
The V10 is based on the 4,2 V8 Audi engine, with a couple more cylinders and some Italian passion. So in a sence it isen't 100 % Lamborghinis engine they are "stealing". More taking back some of their own tec. (Allthough i also totally hate it, and think it is ruining Lamborghinis image)

fbc said:
^ I use 0.75 for my rough calcs, divide kw by 0.75 to get hp, multiply hp by 0.75 to get kw - which gives me 533hp for 400kw.
As you said, your calculations are rough, mine are exact. ;)
For euro hp at least, but I know there are differences, SAE hp and stuff like that.

M3lover said:
A little of topic action:
hajj wrote:

yeah, and that sucks.

Hmmm, and where did the V10 Gallardo engine start it's life :huh: ?
The V10 is based on the 4,2 V8 Audi engine, with a couple more cylinders and some Italian passion. So in a sence it isen't 100 % Lamborghinis engine they are "stealing". More taking back some of their own tec. (Allthough i also totally hate it, and think it is ruining Lamborghinis image)
I'm not so sure about that. I think the V10 was specifically designed, from scratch, for the gallardo.

The 2000 S-class came out and was "omg uber lux car!!" Thought so too, till the over teched 7 series came out. I personally think for the amount of money, the 7 series was better equppied, with heated/aired rear seats standered, and bunch of other things. And it didn't seem so plasticy... Some things in the 00 S-class does seem really cheap and even the Lexus would be a better choice. Though, alot of money is spent on the tech of the car, doing many things that are actually helpful.

Currently, my dad's 2000 S-class is holding up really well, but oddly the wood trim is starting to come off the driver's door. We haven't had a problem with CELs or anything outstanding, not to mention the car tells you any problem with itself.

I peronally think think the COMMAND (navagation system) is pretty easy to use, don't understand how people can't learn it compared to the iDrive system.

The last re-designed S-class before the new 06 one comes out is very nice compared to what one got orginally. New sat system, more chrome around the trim and just seems better built then the first generation 2000 S-class. Still alot of plastics around, but they look better compared to the older style ones..

my dad had a '95 S320 and that car did what it was designed to do VERY well

it was super quiet and comfy on long highway trips and imposing around town

u need 700hp on long highway trips to make the miles melt away