2007 Brazilian Grand Prix - Title Decider

Raikkonen fastest in the first practice. Hamilton 5th. Alonso only ran one lap.

Its only first practice, so anything could happen yet! Session was wet for the first half so its unlikely this is representative of what's going to happen tomorrow.

Isn't this just a stunning colour!

446292.jpg

^ YES, YES IT IS!!

Shame its taken a whole season though for someone to actually get a shot of Ferrari's real colour hey!

Hamilton fastest in 2nd Practice followed by Alonso, Massa then Raikkonen.

They are considering a sanction... 10 places on the grid. If that happens, Alonso could dog it pretty much all day and win if he just beats Kimi by 2 or 3 spots.

Hey Red_Bull can you find a wallpaper size of that Ferrari picture? That is just stunning.

Wow. McLarens pretty much giving Alonso the title hey!! Surely as a team and as a driver both McLaren and Lewis should know the rules. Based on China, and now this then maybe he doesnt deserve the title until he learns the rules properly?? Shame Button did it too, oh well.

Hamilton sweats on possible penalty

Lewis Hamilton is facing a possible penalty after McLaren broke a Formula 1 sporting regulation during the first free practice session at Interlagos.

Hamilton, who stands on the brink of his childhood dream of winning the world championship and takes a four-point lead into Sunday?s season finale in Brazil, used two sets of wet-weather tyres during the 90-minute morning session, contravening Article 25.3 of the F1 sporting regulations.

Article 25.3 states: ?No driver may use more than one set of wet and one set of extreme wet tyres during P1 and P2.?

The rule is a new addition to the F1 sporting regulations this year. Hamilton, Honda driver Jenson Button and Super Aguri?s Takuma Sato were all found to have used two sets of wet tyres during Friday?s first session in Brazil.

The imposition of any penalty is at the discretion of the FIA stewards. The fear for Hamilton is that if the stewards deem that he has been unfairly advantaged by the additional track time on wets, they may impose a penalty.

Such a penalty could impact drastically on his chances of clinching the title.

As things stand, if Fernando Alonso were to win the race, Hamilton could win the championship by finishing second.

Alternatively, if Kimi Raikkonen were to win with Alonso second, Hamilton could afford to finish fifth and still win the title on a countback of two fifth places to Alonso?s one.

Given the superiority of McLaren and Ferrari, that would appear to be a straightforward task.

But should Hamilton be hit with a five or 10-place grid penalty, he would have plenty of overtaking to do on Sunday in order to become the sport?s youngest ever champion.

The three drivers concerned have been summoned to see the stewards individually following the afternoon practice session.

Source

Edit:

I have read on another Grand Prix site that they are comparing this to Ferrari starting on Inters in China. I'd like to point out that this is in the sporting regulations, whereas Ferrari's was a mis-communication between the FIA and Ferrari.

Last edited:
Just read that they were fined 15,000 euros.

Good, I'd hate for the championship to be pre-decided on a technicality.

I liked Ron's reaction;
?Hopefully it won?t cost the team, except maybe by having some constructors? points taken away..."

Teams fined, drivers escape sanction over tyre breach

The Honda, McLaren and Super Aguri teams have each been fined 15,000 euro by Brazilian Grand Prix stewards for breaking wet-weather tyre rules during Friday?s opening practice session.

Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton and Takuma Sato all used two sets of wet-weather tyres - one more than is permitted under the Formula One sporting regulations. The drivers themselves were not penalised for the breach.

The three teams will also have to surrender the extra set of tyres that was used in order to ensure they do not benefit from having access to an additional set of part worn, or scrubbed, tyres.

Source

Not really Hamilton's fault, more so the teams for not knowing that rule. Glad the drivers didn't get grid penalties, would've dampened the three way title fight.

EDIT:
I liked Ron's reaction;
?Hopefully it won?t cost the team, except maybe by having some constructors? points taken away..."

:lol:

^ Ron's answer was gold :lol:

I wonder just what would've happened had Hamilton not been fighting for the championship? Anyway, good that he's (they've) been let off and I think the punishment is fair. lol at Ron Dennis, great answer! :D

McLaren upping the ante in the second session, Hamilton leading Alonso with the Ferraris 0.3s behind.

@pfrocker: 'fraid I don't mate, it came from the ITV photos section.

Ron's answer is up there with Rubens in Fuji when he held up another car and got hauled before the stewards, "Any chance of a 3 race ban?" :lol:

just checked the practice results, seems like lewis hamilton set the fastest practice laptime : (

MadCow809, you misspelt :D
:D
They're only practice times, and they're still all close, won't mean anything come qualifying.

Its uncool to admit you watch F1 in V8 Country!! Well thats my theory...

Although, I hate V8's (Unless Brighty is doing well) and proudly wear F1 merchandise around Adelaide!