2007 Hungarian Grand Prix

It was a mistake that shouldn't have happened though.

Any word on McLaren's decision about the appeal yet?

(Its getting confusing as every current F1 thread is devoted to this topic! :p)

True, but that doesn't justify Alonso's actions... You can't punish Hamilton, just because Alonso wanted revenge like a spanish d*ckhead.

true alonso could of taken the moral high ground and then it would of been mostly egg on hamiltons face for being an arrogant git, but alonso is just a spanish bastard....immediate and cruel revenge was all he could think of.

if he'd of just let it fly, hamilton would have a slap on thw wrist and alonso probably would of been 2nd if not 1st on the grid. so he didnt do himself any favours for being a hot head really. what he should of done was try make it look like an accident.

he should of been thinking, "what would schumacher do?"

though i think accidently on purpose stalling it in the pits would of been just as obvious.

^ Struggle getting it into gear would have worked.

Although data may have shot that idea to pieces?? Alonso must regret his hot-headedness, worst case scenario was he would have started second instead of first and got lots of points. Instead of being stuck behind slower cars the whole race.

^ But Hamilton needs to respect team decisions whether he likes them or not!

Yes....possibly. Not convinced. I would rather each car and driver were seperate and actually racing. But maybe thats because I don't support one particular team.

^ Dont forget, F1 is a team sport. Hence the constructors championship.

^ But Hamilton needs to respect team decisions whether he likes them or not!

But so did Alonso during the pit stop, two wrongs don't make a right.

I was just looking a the pit stop footage again and noticed Alonso was the 2nd fastest qualifier at that time, if he didn't do his little stunt he could've started on the front row with Hamilton, even if it was the dirty side of the track, it's got to be better then starting 6th...

Haha not for me!! Frankly I couldn't care less if McLaren get to keep their points or not because I couldn't care less who wins the constructors championship!! Go Kimi :p

Haha not for me!! Frankly I couldn't care less if McLaren get to keep their points or not because I couldn't care less who wins the constructors championship!!

I care very deeply, because I support the team as opposed to supporting the individual drivers. Not since 1998 have McLaren won it. I dont want to see them throw away their best opportunity in years! :(

Two words.

Goooooooooo HONDA :D

^ to the garage to make there car actually win something ;)

Not quite - running at the front of Q3 maximises your time on track - so you get to have the lightest possible fuel load at the end of the session.

Your telling me that being the third out of the pit or third on the track is going to make that much difference in how much fuel is in the car? Seems pretty negligible to me. It probably would have just been second out of the pits behind Alonso if he had followed instructions, and at worst right behind Kimi. I can understand liking to be out front because you have don't have to worry about anybody slowing you up, but at the same time it sounds like the team bosses made it pretty damn clear what they wanted.

That said, Alonso could have made it clearer that he indeed did want to pass Hamilton. Sounds like he was hanging back and making it so that Hamilton would have had to slow waaay down to let him do so, which isn't cool. In that way, I think he made the right decision. Eh, I guess what happened is what happened, and there isn't much we or they can do about (beyond pointing the blame stick).

JH

Well they're fighting over such small bits of time, any advantage at all is preferred.

I have a little less respect for Hamilton if he did infact so those things to Ron. However I can understand his frustration, and I'm sure I'd have said the same sorts of things. I however am fairly hot headed, I thought Hamilton wasn't. He seemed like the perfect driver only a race ago, he is however still a great driver, and I think it would be great if he won the championship. But it would be better if Kimi did :D

Your telling me that being the third out of the pit or third on the track is going to make that much difference in how much fuel is in the car? Seems pretty negligible to me.

Yes. If it means you can manage to squeeze in an extra lap right at the end of the session, then that's one lap less of fuel you're carrying on your final hot lap - and in F1 that weight difference means a lot.

Am I right in saying that you only get a fuel credit if you complete a lap in Q3 in a fairly fast time? If Alonso was hanging back then Hamilton may have lost a fuel credit of he slowed to allow him to pass in which case he was fully justified.
I do not know how tight this time is however or how much time Hamilton would have lost letting Alonso past. I can understand fully why Hamilton did not let Alonso past straight away because it would be a major disadvantage to be behind Kimi. Do the cars have to line up at the end of the pit lane in the same order as they finished in Q2?

Am I right in saying that you only get a fuel credit if you complete a lap in Q3 in a fairly fast time? If Alonso was hanging back then Hamilton may have lost a fuel credit of he slowed to allow him to pass in which case he was fully justified.
I do not know how tight this time is however or how much time Hamilton would have lost letting Alonso past. I can understand fully why Hamilton did not let Alonso past straight away because it would be a major disadvantage to be behind Kimi.

Yes, to get the fuel credit for a lap the lap time needs to be within a certain % of your fastest time in Q3. That's not the reason he didn't want to let Alonso past however (that first out-lap will always be slow regardless) - his concern was that Kimi would also get past, meaning he would lose further track position and reduce his chances of squeezing in as many laps as possible in the session forcing him to take his final qualifying lap carrying an extra lap of fuel.

Do the cars have to line up at the end of the pit lane in the same order as they finished in Q2?

No, it's up to the teams and drivers to get down there first. The advantage with being out first is that you maximise your on track time, and therefore the amount of laps you can complete. So you burn the maximum amount of fuel and have the lightest car possible right at the end for your final flying lap.

The format of Q3 is dumb really - the fuel burn is pointless (especially when F1 wants to look more eco-friendly). The session should be the same as Q1 & 2 - cars on low fuel just belting around trying to get the fastest time.

^^^^Incorrect. The 107% rule was scrapped as of France I believe and no-one said anything about it. You now get fuel credit for EVERY lap you do in Q3.

The pit lane line-up thing is something I don't understand. Hamilton was at the front because his car cooled down to acceptable temperatures first. However Alonso was still second in line......not like he was 8th or something. So why not just wait with Lewis' car another 10 seconds or whatever and put him second in line. If the cars are cooling down.....its only going to cool down further?!?!?!?!?!