2008 Formula 1 Season Thread

oh shit that's pretty smart, I didn't even thought of that.

As for Super Aguri, it's sad I hope they can pull through and get good sponsorship.

Anyone have a video of Bourdais' crash? The car looks really bad in that picture

S.Bourdais is terrible at F1.

That nose is really clever, and it looks like it really works. But it's not really a new idea. Someone posted it on the RU forum:

Someone on RU said:
Has been tried by Chapman on the 1979 Lotus 80 with no success, let's see if Ferrari can make it work.

80m-3.jpg

fotosend-1230990227.jpg

I've got a feeling the 50% loss of downforce for 2009 will be less then 50%.

And also the early Mclaren MP4 (up to 1986; and not only them...) used this idea in the radiator area:

The bulge in the sidepod is actually the cover that encloses the airflow over the radiators. Gives the car a better center of gravity, with close-to-horizontal radiators, better cooling, because they could fit bigger radiators, and downforce, because the sloping position of the radiators forced the air upwards, and that pushed the car down creating downforce (action and reaction... Newton's third law). And I can bet that the turbo intakes were also located inside that duct.

PICS!!!!!

0V02LTS0KLCY2O0H4IMTD0DYRLVL_450.jpg

Mega-oops. Uh... how much is that repair job?

(Triple-8 posts...:p)

Dear red bull racing: STOP BREAKING CARS! I cant drink enough red bull singlehandedly to financially support you continuously stuffing multimillion dollar race cars, and god knows i'm trying!!! *slaps back another caffine shot*

Yours truly, Matt the caffine spaz.

Last edited:
do they really need all those wings~? @.@
that's one desperate attempt to find more speed~ lol

You guys do realized that's a photoshop...there's no way that's remotely legal...

Hideous winglets? You guys are so behind the times! Now, dumbass wheel cover art is all the rage.

Honda have drawn inspiration from Billy's second grade geography final:

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/04/17/97188.jpg

...while McLaren have gone for the "splattered bird shit" look:

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/04/17/97206.jpg

Also, I'm surprised no one's mentioned the 2008.5 cars yet. It's great to see slicks again. :D

Now, dumbass wheel cover art is all the rage.

Honda have drawn inspiration from Billy's second grade geography final:

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/04/17/97188.jpg
You have got to be kidding me :idiot:

^ it is really hideous, and as I said before the McLaren's cover looks like something came out of a Batmobile, whick is not a good thing.

In the other Hand the 2008.5 Ferrari its looking more and more like a shark especially with the new gills... I like :woot:

XPB_095F7CX0RYYETC0E53U9T-2.jpg

r_2008-04-16T154635-2.jpg

^

oooh.. some serious tyre wear on the front left.

And its great to have slicks back!!

^ Thanks for the link, that's fun!

It's a neat contest, but you can't load in decals, like a green version of the british flag.

Last edited:
:(
Super Aguri could miss Spanish Grand Prix
18 April 2008

The Super Aguri Formula 1 team might not be able to attend next week's Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona after the team's potential buyer did not wish to continue its purchase of the Japanese team.
GPUpdateManager.net - Register now!

"It's possible," Super Aguri co-owner Fumio Akita told Reuters. "We were banking on Magma's buyout but they turned it down. It feels like being jilted by a lover. Even if we have the money to go to Spain we might not be able to carry on after that. It's impossible to predict what will happen but it could now depend on Honda."

The Japanese team already had to skip this week's official four-day test at Circuit de Catalunya to save its budget. The team is now waiting in the factory before it will travel to Spain for the first European race of the 2008 Formula 1 season. "I don't think there will be a decision until after the weekend," Akita said. "It is likely to be Monday or Tuesday until we hear. It will be very, very tight."
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/04/18/super-aguri-could-miss-spanish-grand-prix/

Aguri dispatch transporter to Barcelona

By Simon Strang Friday, April 18th 2008, 11:23 GMT

Super Aguri trucks in Barcelona in FebruaryThe Super Aguri team have dispatched the first of their transporters to Barcelona for next weekend's Spanish Grand Prix, while remaining optimistic that a financial package can be put in place to overcome the collapse of their planned rescue deal.

Team co-owner Aguri Suzuki confirmed on Wednesday that potential buyers Magma Group pulled out of their takeover bid, leaving Super Aguri short on budget and unclear whether they would have the funds and the spares to compete in Barcelona next weekend.

But a source inside the team told Autosport on Friday that Suzuki remains locked in talks with alternative backers and that he had made 'some steady progress, but was not out of the woods yet.'

Super Aguri's long-term future is likely to remain in doubt until at least early next week, and it seems likely that Honda will be asked to subsidise the team until a new financial package can be put in place.

"I don't think there will be a decision until after the weekend," Super Aguri co-owner Fumio Akita told Reuters on Friday.

"It is likely to be Monday or Tuesday until we hear. It will be very, very tight."

Suzuki agreed a deal with Magma before the start of the season after Honda indicated over the winter that it was no longer prepared to fully fund a B-team in Formula One.

With regulations set to come in to force insisting on teams designing and constructing their own chassis from 2009 onwards, Suzuki set about looking for alternative backers to give the team full independent status.

But Super Aguri's on-track competitiveness has been badly affected by the Magma takeover, with the team completing minimal pre-season testing during the build-up to the Melbourne season-opener.

Since then Takuma Sato and Anthony Davidson have been running on limited mileage, and were told to protect the cars over GP weekends to save spares, which are in short supply.

Super Aguri were the only team not present at this week's massive pre-European season test at Barcelona.

Source

I feel so bad for Davidson & Sato, I really hope that they will be able make it to next weekend.