2008 Line-Up (Rumour Mill)

He's proven that he is better than Alonso in the same car, and I doubt Heikki is as good as Alonso...and yes, he is the driving god of F1. That's a fact.

kimi.jpg

yeah,Riiiight..

Hamilton is just a good driver (not a driving god), Kovalainen is not as good as Hamilton, so they will depend mostly on car performance. They would be able to catch some wins. :)

It's a shame that it's not Kubica who joined McLaren.

The real Driving Gods of Formula 1 no longer race, or even worse, some of them are no longer alive.

Hamilton is NOT a Driving God; he was just lucky to drop in the best car, prepared by the best driver in the field who had to race afterwards with rubbish set-ups given by the team, with the whole team re-built around him and leaving the other driver completely in the cold. Hear me? Hamilton was LUCKY. And what was gifted by the team to him, he blew away in 2 races.
Costs of all of this were enormous.
But watching him blow it in the last two races... Priceless.

Haha Fanboy wars!! The fastest driver in the field is Raikonnen.

Kovi will push Hamilton. Great choice. I am so pleased, shows that talent still has a chance over money in F1!!!! If Santander piss off, hopefully they get Nokia or something to replace them.

I'm just really curious about how will Kovalainen do in (hopefully) competitive car. There was a lot of talk about him before this season, but even if he was slightly faster than Fisi, the year wasn't exactly perfect. And yeah, I kinda hope he'll do to Hamilton what Hamilton did to Alonso ;)

Hamilton is NOT a Driving God; he was just lucky to drop in the best car, prepared by the best driver in the field who had to race afterwards with rubbish set-ups given by the team, with the whole team re-built around him and leaving the other driver completely in the cold. Hear me? Hamilton was LUCKY. And what was gifted by the team to him, he blew away in 2 races.
Costs of all of this were enormous.
But watching him blow it in the last two races... Priceless.

How is he lucky if hebeat 2 time champion Alonso IN THE SAME CAR? And why did he win the GP2 season at his first try, after winning the F3 series with 6 races to spare? Before which he dominated karting in Europe. How is that just coincidence?

The team gave Alonso and Hamilton equal treatment. They were under close supervision, they could not afford to be unfair. Although I wish they would have given Hamilton better treatment than eyebrows, they didn't, which is entirely fair.

I simply cannot understand the blindfold you Hamilton haters are wearing. If you are against somebody, look into his history, get your facts right before you rant.

I simply cannot understand the blindfold you Hamilton haters are wearing. If you are against somebody, look into his history, get your facts right before you rant.

It is actually very simple to understand. Hamilton is the first driver who showed that in a good car even rookie would be able to achieve good results. It is not necessary to learn how F1 works for a few years. New driver can be successful stright away. Because of that experienced drivers who finish 15th aren't heroes any more.

Go Heikki!!

I hope he makes Lewis look bad now :lol:

Go Heikki!!

I hope he makes Lewis look bad now :lol:

Hehee........ya know........for once I agree with you. I am really looking forward to seeing how he does next year. The interviews that Heiki had with Louis Goodman last year really made me respect him as a person, and his driving ability is clearly very good. I like Hamilton too, but I have to say I'll be rooting for Kovileinen. I was really really hoping that he would get picked up by Mclaren, and I got my wish.

JH

Im curious as to why Mclaren didnt try to appease Santander. They are in desperate need of money, According the interview with Martin Whitmarsh. That 100M dollar fine, was way too large, they could probably barely afford Kov.'s salary. Next years cars gonna see the consequences.

Im curious as to why Mclaren didnt try to appease Santander. They are in desperate need of money, According the interview with Martin Whitmarsh. That 100M dollar fine, was way too large, they could probably barely afford Kov.'s salary. Next years cars gonna see the consequences.

Santander doesn't really care. I think they are targeting UK anyway since Abbey is a subsidiary.

Hamilton is NOT a Driving God; he was just lucky to drop in the best car, prepared by the best driver in the field who had to race afterwards with rubbish set-ups given by the team, with the whole team re-built around him and leaving the other driver completely in the cold. Hear me? Hamilton was LUCKY.
I guess Alonso was lucky to win his 2 WDCs as well then, having the best car, having the undisputed no #1 status while giving Fisi inferior equipment. etc etc.

Wanna bet? Or... wanna bet that McLaren will not give him an equal car to Hamilton?

Do you guys really think that Hamilton is the "Driving God" of Formula 1?
They might give "emotional" support to one of the two drivers, but unlike Renault, McLaren have always given equal equipment to both the drivers. Even when it comes to engines, Merc chooses the best two out of the batch and then McLaren pick sticks to randomly assign the engines to the drivers at each race. Renault on the other hand has handed Alonso revised Spec B's all the time while Fisi had to use the old car.

Last edited:
I'm so glad Kovi got a race seat for 2008, and it's an extra bonus it is with McLaren. I think Kovi and Hamilton will be a great combination as teammates. I became quite a fan of Kovi in 2007, and I think he is a pretty talented driver.

Go Kovi!!

I'm glad Heikki joined Mclaren, he will be a good partner with Lewis.

2008 should be an interesting year.

Edit: haha look at Kovi with his new Mclaren gear
http://img187.imageshack.**/img187/8765/kovivf4.jpg

Last edited:

I dont think their financial situation is as dire as Planet-F1 make it out to be, otherwise they would've signed de la Rosa. I think you're referring to this article which only states how McLaren have been unable to properly conduct commercial dealings. That'll blow over once the case against them is closed. Don't forget they also have Mercedes as a partner and the Bahrain group as stakeholders.

They'll be fine.

I don't know how competitive they are going to be next year - it looks like they are walking on egg shells just so they can even race next year. If everything is equal next year I think Lewis will win it all - the problem is, F1 is seldom equal :thumbsdown:

It's a shame that it's not Kubica who joined McLaren.

Right, even though Heidfeld clearly outperformed him all year. I think Heikki established himself as the best candidate for the job, besides the established top drivers. I really like Heikki, but I don't have some blind hatered towards Lewis like some here, may the best man win.

Hulkenberg gets test job at Williams
13 December 2007

The Williams Formula 1 team announced on Thursday that Nico Hulkenberg will be the team's official test driver for the forthcoming 2008 season.The young German tested for the team last week in Jerez and gave the team a positive impression.

On the confirmation of his appointment, Nico said, "The two days of Formula One testing with the AT&T Williams team last week in Jerez were the realisation of an ambition that has driven me ever since my first kart race back in 1997. When I actually got out on track in the FW29, it fulfilled every expectation and more. So to have represented myself sufficiently well to have been appointed as the team's official test driver is the most amazing news and for me, Christmas has come early."

In the past three seasons, the former German kart champion has contested the German Formula BMW Championship, German F3, A1 GP and the Formula Three Euroseries. From the 68 starts he has made in these various championships, he has claimed 25 race wins and 14 poles, winning the Formula BMW ADAC title and helping the German national team to its A1 GP title in 2006/7 as a series rookie. Nico has also performed strongly in a number of non-championship races including winning the Ultimate Masters of Formula 3 at Zolder. In 2008, he will again contest the Formula 3 Euroseries alongside his Formula One testing duties.

Sam Michael, the Williams Technical Director said, "Nico has been through the rigours of our driver assessment programme culminating in his two day test in Jerez last week. Clearly he has shown demonstrable talent in the junior formulae, but it was important for us to see if he could make the step to Formula One. On the evidence we have so far, Nico is a quick and capable driver."
Source: http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/12/13/hulkenberg-gets-test-job-at-williams/
Good that Williams saw Hulkenberg's talent and signed him up as test driver, he was very impressive in A1 GP.

Heiki at McLaren should be interesting!

Good that Williams saw Hulkenberg's talent and signed him up as test driver, he was very impressive in A1 GP.
Agreed. I'm looking forward to seeing him compete in F1.

HondaF1 - any word if Marco Andretti is going to do some testing for Honda in the off season like last year?