2008 US Presidential Elections

Jay I thought McCain was a bit less wishy washy than the other GOP candidates, and on the Democrats side Obama seems to have the presentational skills to win. The people who think "I won't vote for him because. ...", will go for Obama as he only has one possible downside - which is obvious; but for some it is an upside cancelling out the loss of votes. Hillary has "dropped the ball" recently I think, and I agree with you about the rest of the GOP candidates.

We are getting quite alot of coverage here on it.

Anyhow, hopefully the US is in for better times after the election.

You are quite correct. It takes a special person to be in politics; and I don't mean special as in good. They are cut from the same cloth as political protesters, welfare freeloaders and ambulance chasing lawyers, which is why the majority of decent, hardworking folks have such a disdain for politicians and their antics.
I don't agree with that. One of my mothers friends was a representative, and another good friend of the family worked with the president (Clinton/Bush Jr.) And I personally know my communities mayor. They are all very good people, and most of the people in politics are just like you and me. The problem is, there is too much bureaucracy in democracy nowadays. Everyone has a lobby, and unfortunately the louder you yell the more influence you tend to have. Politicians have a hard job, most do it to make a difference, a labor of love. It's the few with personal gains, or extreme beliefs that scream the loudest and drive the hardworking legitimate politicians away.

I don't agree with that. One of my mothers friends was a representative, and another good friend of the family worked with the president (Clinton/Bush Jr.) And I personally know my communities mayor. They are all very good people, and most of the people in politics are just like you and me. The problem is, there is too much bureaucracy in democracy nowadays. Everyone has a lobby, and unfortunately the louder you yell the more influence you tend to have. Politicians have a hard job, most do it to make a difference, a labor of love. It's the few with personal gains, or extreme beliefs that scream the loudest and drive the hardworking legitimate politicians away.

although i can see what jayhawk means , and it is true at every level to some extent .there are people who are true and dedicated and honest , and there are corrupt bastards at every level of politics . what i see is that by the time they get to the presidential level , the people who are doing it as a labor of love are filtered out and those who are on a power quest or have other self serving reasons tend to push their way through to that position . one must know which friends to make , which to shun and when . common sense in running a country begins having nothing to do with it . apparently , those who do stand on principle are not able to make enough friends with special interests and beneficial influences to get them in .
also , politics is a very emotional subject for people . politicians who can read emotions are able to do well , (bill clinton , for example ) . however , being able to read emotions well , and being able to think sensibly about policy are two separate skills .

McCain has won Florida and most likely the Republican nomination.

I'm hoping Giuliani will drop out, I don't think he can be trusted to deal with foreign policy decisions correctly.

McGain seems quite good, I like his view on US torture which is an issue that can affect non-Americans if there name appears on a list, or is like someone's name who is on a list are quite good.

Earlier tonight, Ann Coulter stated Live on Hannity and Colmes that if the election came down to Clinton vs McCain, she would support Hillary.

This sets up for a possible conundrum for the majority of Democrats who hate Ann Coulter.

And the idiot Republicans who follow Coulter but for the last 8 years have only heard from her ilk that "Hilary is satan".

Earlier tonight, Ann Coulter stated Live on Hannity and Colmes that if the election came down to Clinton vs McCain, she would support Hillary.

Arsebuckets, now my lifetime rule of 'do the opposite of anything Ann Coulter believes in' is ruined...:p

This sets up for a possible conundrum for the majority of Democrats who hate Ann Coulter.

What is it with her been allowed on TV, her opinion is so one sided and ignorant its unbelievable. Someone do the world a favour and put her down, she is an old dog after all.

Believe it or not, but I read her column regularly.

This is from McCain...sometime in 1983 when he voiced his opposition to Reagan placing American troops in Lebanon.

The fundamental question is: What is the United States? interest in Lebanon? It is said we are there to keep the peace. I ask, what peace? It is said we are there to aid the government. I ask, what government? It is said we are there to stabilize the region. I ask, how can the U.S. presence stabilize the region?... The longer we stay in Lebanon, the harder it will be for us to leave. We will be trapped by the case we make for having our troops there in the first place.

What can we expect if we withdraw from Lebanon? The same as will happen if we stay. I acknowledge that the level of fighting will increase if we leave. I regretfully acknowledge that many innocent civilians will be hurt. But I firmly believe this will happen in any event.

Well just got back from Registration, will vote for Obama on Tuesday.

'93 & '94 McCain is so much better than this latest version. Case in point.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPyKpcivQYQ[/youtube]

Things have changed in those 14 years.

Paul ain't going to win anything at this point.
Yeah, but I'd rather vote for him than Romney or Huckabee. And with the high amount of libertarian tendencies in WA, there's a darn good chance of him getting 2nd. WA might be a very surprising state when the results come in.

Except for Ron Paul, who is still a racist and bigot. Right?
On an unrelated note; when people attend the Romney and Huckabee speeches and ask the question "What do you think about the Atheist problem?" what does everyone think.

Sorry - Atheist are causing problems in the US? Why, are they going around knocking on doors annoying the hell out of householders trying to persuade them to not see the light? This should be stopped!

Last edited: