2009 Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix

Devon

Car(s)
2008 MY09 Subaru Impreza RX
Welcome to the 2009 Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix, the opening round for the 2009 Formula 1 Season.

94420.jpg

2009 marks the 60th Anniversary for Formula 1 and sees the introduction of new regulations including KERS, slick tyres, major changes to aerodynamics and an increase in the lifespan of engines. Pre-season testing is indicating that the teams are all fairly evenly matched, with McLaren struggling with lack of down force from their rear wing. This could play a major role in Lewis Hamilton?s title defence.

The previous three winners of the season opener have gone onto to win the Driver?s Championship in that same year. Will this tradition continue in 2009? Only time will tell.

Here are the questions:

1) Who will take Pole and who will win the Race?
2) Will McLaren sort out their Rear Wing issues before Melbourne?
3) Sebastien Buemi is the sole rookie this year, which 2008 rookies with a year of F1 experience under their belts, will he finish ahead of in Melbourne? Piquet, Glock, Nakajima and/or Bourdais?
4) How many front wings do you think will be lost in the first corner?
5) Do you think Brawn GP will be a threat in Melbourne, or is their pre-season testing times in aid of finding sponsors?
6) Which team do you think might be a ?dark horse? in 2009?
7) Only six cars made it to the chequered flag last year, how many will make it this year?

All that?s left to do is wait until Friday the 27th March for Friday Practice and then the race will be at the new time of 5pm local time on Sunday 29th March.

Until then, let the discussion begin!

Last edited:
I was reading those topics every race weekend year but did not participate, maybe its time to change that ;) I will start then:

1. That is just a guess... Barichello (hopefully he can keep the pace from trainings) and Kubica (i'm just being an optimistic Pole ;) )
2. No. But they will after a few races.
3. In front of Bourdais and Piquet (as he is unlikely to finish the race ;) )
4. 3-4
5. They will be a threat.
6. Red Bull, Renault and Brawn GP
7. at least 14

BTW. I started watching F1 when Kubica arrived. I didn't consider myself a huge fan last year, but now I just can't wait till Melbourne to see what is going to happen!

Last edited:
1) Who will take Pole and who will win the Race? Barichello, Kubica

2) Will McLaren sort out their Rear Wing issues before Melbourne? Nope train left town a while ago.

3) Sebastien Buemi is the sole rookie this year, which 2008 rookies with a year of F1 experience under their belts, will he finish ahead of in Melbourne? Piquet, Glock, Nakajima and/or Bourdais?
Nakajima

4) How many front wings do you think will be lost in the first corner? 3

5) Do you think Brawn GP will be a threat in Melbourne, or is their pre-season testing times in aid of finding sponsors? They will win the pole.

Toyota

7) Only six cars made it to the chequered flag last year, how many will make it this year? 11

Testing form out of the window for this one, its time to see who's been sandbagging, who's been off the pace (cough McLaren) and who's been running underweight!
Tough one, it all depends on which Kimi turns up, but I'm going to go with Kubica!
No but they will have made progress, I think they will be in the points scoring positions, then again maybe they have really gone all out in a scale never before seen before to trick everyone into thinking their car is not fast, unlikely but if they have its a damn good effort!
I reckon Piquet will continue his fine form from last season and either lose his front wing in the first corner or at very least fall off the track so Buemi should finish ahead of him providing he gets past the first corner, doubt he will compete with Glock but might finish ahead of Nakajima depending on how good the Williams is.
2, Piquet and Fisichella
5) Do you think Brawn GP will be a threat in Melbourne, or is their pre-season testing times in aid of finding sponsors?
I really am beginning to question whether they where fishing for sponsors or not, on the one hand I really don't think that a team could have a car that fast first time out, but a few drivers have even said the pace is real, I'm going to guess that a few teams are sandbagging and Brawn are around the lower end of the points.
Red Bull, through the simple scientific method of if it looks good it is good!
7) Only six cars made it to the chequered flag last year, how many will make it this year?
Kers will play a big part in this as well as the reduced grip on a street circuit, I feel confident in saying there will be at least 1 finisher, but if you want the exact number im going to go with....14!

Kimi.

Hopefully not. :mrgreen:

Piquet.

Two.

Abit of both.

Brawn GP.

1) Who will take Pole and who will win the Race? Kimi, Kimi
2) Will McLaren sort out their Rear Wing issues before Melbourne? No, well it will be better but not fixed
3) Sebastien Buemi is the sole rookie this year, which 2008 rookies with a year of F1 experience under their belts, will he finish ahead of in Melbourne? Piquet, Glock, Nakajima and/or Bourdais? Glock
4) How many front wings do you think will be lost in the first corner? Ill say 3, and one of them will be off a Red Bull
5) Do you think Brawn GP will be a threat in Melbourne, or is their pre-season testing times in aid of finding sponsors? A threat yes, but i doubt they will be on the podium.
6) Which team do you think might be a ?dark horse? in 2009? Does Brawn count as a dark horse? If not I vote Williams.
7) Only six cars made it to the chequered flag last year, how many will make it this year? 10

I cant wait for the season to start, this is driving me crazy. It looks like one of the best and closest seasons in recent memory.

-Kimi, Kimi
-I hope so, but I want to see him fight for positions.
-Piquet
-3-4, maybe 5 tops
-I hope Brawn is as good as the times they
re putting out but the may be doing it to get sponsers.
-I am hoping Williams or Force India.

YAYAYAYAYYAYAYAAYAYA FINALLY A NEW RACE!

Lets say... Rubens Barrichello, but Massa will win it
Sort of, but i expect a toyota-like pace from them until the european races
Piquet is the underdog, so of course i think he will do well... and am i the only one who had no idea last year was timo glock's first year? :blink:
I think they will be fighting for the pole and win
Brawn, i dont think they have it in them to be first for the whole season but i think they will hang on by the skin of their teeth.... or run out of money Super Best Friends style!

Kimi for pole, Kubica for the win
I hope so
Probably Piquet and Bourdais
Nope
Red Bull

I'll reserve judgement until after Friday practice.

No.

Piquet and Nakajima. Glock will be in the top 5, no doubt.

They will be a threat. Maybe not for the win, but definitely for a place on the podium.

Renault, obviously. :p

Pole: Rubens, Win: Vettel

I think so. That wired attachment should help a bit. But we won't even know for sure if they don't announce it

All of them except for Glock. Could be on par with him.

At most 3

Genuine threat

Force India

Optimism leads to at least 15, but I think not more than 10 will in reality

Kimi, Kimi.

Probably not.

Just Piquet.

Three. A Williams, Force India and Mclaren.

Yes, but racing is a different matter to testing - we'll have to wait until Melbourne for any real answers.

Brawn GP and or Force India.

15 cars.

Last edited:
1) Who will take Pole and who will win the Race? Barichello, Kubica
2) Will McLaren sort out their Rear Wing issues before Melbourne? I hope so, and I think they can
3) Sebastien Buemi is the sole rookie this year, which 2008 rookies with a year of F1 experience under their belts, will he finish ahead of in Melbourne? Piquet, Glock, Nakajima and/or Bourdais? Piquet and Nakajima
4) How many front wings do you think will be lost in the first corner? Two
5) Do you think Brawn GP will be a threat in Melbourne, or is their pre-season testing times in aid of finding sponsors? They will be a threat
6) Which team do you think might be a ?dark horse? in 2009? Well we already know about BGP, so I'd say Red Bull will come out of nowhere
7) Only six cars made it to the chequered flag last year, how many will make it this year? More, probably about 12

1) One of the Brawn GP drivers will take pole, Kimi will probably win the race.

2) No

3) Yes, I'm expecting him to do better than Piquet Jr and Nakajima

4) 3 to 4

5) A genuine threat

6) Brawn GP

7) more than 6

Kimi and Kubica

Not well enough to fight for the win.

Piquet and Bourdais

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say... None!

I'd say they could be a genuine threat. We know for a fact that the car is very reliable, and that they've been putting massive resources into developing it since last summer.

Red Bull

Last edited:

Pole- Raikkonen Win- Raikkonen

No way jose

3) Sebastien Buemi is the sole rookie this year, which 2008 rookies with a
year of F1 experience under their belts, will he finish ahead of in Melbourne? Piquet, Glock, Nakajima and/or Bourdais?

Piquet & Nakijima

None

A points threat but not for a win or podium.

Williams

1) Who will take Pole and who will win the Race? Massa on pole, Vettel for the win
2) Will McLaren sort out their Rear Wing issues before Melbourne? Hopefully yes
3) Sebastien Buemi is the sole rookie this year, which 2008 rookies with a year of F1 experience under their belts, will he finish ahead of in Melbourne? Piquet, Glock, Nakajima and/or Bourdais? Piquet, Nakajima
4) How many front wings do you think will be lost in the first corner? 2 or 3
5) Do you think Brawn GP will be a threat in Melbourne, or is their pre-season testing times in aid of finding sponsors? If pre season testing is anything to go by then yes they could be a genuine threat, and with that will come the sponsers
6) Which team do you think might be a ?dark horse? in 2009? Again if pre season testing is an indicator, then Brawn GP could be up there. But the real standouts are Red Bull and Toyota. Both of those teams seemed to have a handle on the 09 cars form the word go
7) Only six cars made it to the chequered flag last year, how many will make it this year? 10

Kimi, Kimi

No.

Piquet & Nakajima.

3-4, especially from those in the middle of the pack.

Yes, they will be a threat.

BRAWN GP! Although Toyota might be up there too.

1) Alonso and Button
2) it won't be as much as an issue but they won't have solved it
3) Nakajima
4) 2
5) Major threat
6) Brawn, Red Bull, McLaren after about 4 races
7) 12

AND WE ARE BACK!!!!!!

1) Kubica, Kimi
2) Probably not.
3) Nakajima
4) 4
5) I don't think they have the race pace yet.
6) Red Bull
7) 8