2009 Brazilian Formula 1 Grand Prix

Just saying thanks to VikiradTG2007, Madcow89, Brother Michael, Ladora, devil500, among others who made that session so much more entertaining.

No, thank you for joining :cool:. Was great fun chatting with you lot while waiting for the medical car to inspect the track (lost count already)

Btw, I'm absolutely chuffed about Kimi's performance in the dreadful F60, it seems like Kimi will finish this season ahead of hamilton with an inferior car.

I'm gutted for Vettel's dismal Q1 performance. Had he managed to make it into Q2, I'm sure he would be up there with Webber and the rest, perhaps he can even fight for pole position.

This has turned into the worst possible scenario now. Button made a critical error by staying out on the full wets. I'm hoping that Ruby will run into some unexpected trouble in tomorrow's race.

Last edited:
Surprised its not been posted, maybe because of the late hour - fuel weights are out

Pos Driver Weight (kg)
1. Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes 650.5
2. Webber Red Bull-Renault 656.0
3. Sutil Force India-Mercedes 656.5
4. Trulli Toyota 658.5
5. Raikkonen Ferrari 651.5
6. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 659.0
7. Rosberg Williams-Toyota 657.0
8. Kubica BMW-Sauber 656.0
9. Nakajima Williams-Toyota 664.0
10. Alonso Renault 652.0
11. Kobayashi Toyota 671.5*
12. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 671.5*
13. Grosjean Renault 677.2*
14. Button Brawn-Mercedes 672.0*
15. Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes 680.0*
16. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 683.5*
17. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 656.5*
18. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 661.0*
19. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber 650.5*
20. Fisichella Ferrari 683.5*

From Autosport

According to Lee McKenzie's twitter, Webber was quickest fuel adjusted, Barrichello 2nd and Sutil 3rd, beyond that no word.

Not looking good for Alonso or Raikkonen.

Last edited:
I can't wait to watch a race live tomorrow at a reasonable time :D And I love Brazil so win win!

Trulli was found guilty of impeding Beumi, but they took into account the poor visibility and only gave him a reprimand... which I think is fair.

Our coverage here got canned during the red flag in Q2 and went to NASCAR lol

For those of you who catch the BBC's coverage of free practice - whatever happened to Ian Phillips from Force India who used to commentate in FP2?

Only speculation, but I don't think its coincidence that he's disappeared from the coverage since he pissed off Vijay by announcing that he expected an offer from Ferrari for Fisichella straight after the Belgian GP :lol:

Trulli was found guilty of impeding Beumi, but they took into account the poor visibility and only gave him a reprimand... which I think is fair.

I didn't notice that, shame for Buemi, he had a good session - he even kept it out of the wall for once! But I agree with only a reprimand as I can't imagine Trulli could see him too well because those mirrors are barely large enough to see clearly in broad daylight, let alone all that spray.

EDIT: BBC have put up the full top 10 fuel adjusted, with their predicted pit stops

1 Mark Webber (lap 22)
2 Rubens Barrichello +0.056secs (lap 20)
3 Adrian Sutil +0.231 (lap 23)
4 Jarno Trulli +0.361 (lap 24)
5 Sebastien Buemi +0.501 (lap 24)
6 Kimi Raikkonen +0.622 (lap 20)
7 Nico Rosberg +0.631 (lap 23)
8 Kazuki Nakajima +0.790 (lap 26)
9 Robert Kubica +0.963 (lap 22)
10 Fernando Alonso +1.862 (lap 20)

Link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/f1mole/2009/10/bbc-sports-fueladjusted-brazil.html

Its going to be close between Barrichello and Webber!

Last edited:
I am bummed for Vettel. The kid can drive in the wet but it looks like his car is set up for the dry. Looking at the forecasts it seems like there will be rain tomorrow, but it may be decent in the morning. The rain will make or brake his race for him.

PS: I would love to see Button out of the points tomorrow with Rubens on the top step.

That was the greatest qualifying I've ever seen! Great performance by Rubens - which has my full support for tomorrow's race. And folks, truste me, it's going to rain a bloody river tomorrow at Interlagos. S?o Paulo's weather is really crazy.

Hell, I wish I was there!

That last Quali session was pure epic. First it was Beumi, then Trulli, then Webber, back to Barrichello, then Kubica, then back to Webber and then eventually Barrichello. Really stoked for him.

Rubinho! hahaha that was awesome. Button and Vettel is in the same row too. If it's dry, who has the 'clean' side?

ahh.. indeed he does. Wonderful performance by Kobayashi and Buemi, by the way. Grosjean is quickly becoming the new Piquet...

Just saying thanks to VikiradTG2007, Madcow89, Brother Michael, Ladora, devil500, among others who made that session so much more entertaining.

Thank you to you guys too, made that loooooooong ass wait so much more bearable! :hug:

I feel terrible for Vettel too, but he's still so young, he'll get the WDC sooner or later. Whatever the outcome is, he's definitely learnt a lot this year, and will put his lessons learned from this year to good use in the future.

As for Button... I dunno man, it seems like he just keeps making things hard for himself. But whatever, it seems that what Bernie wants he will get... that man works in mysterious ways! :blink:

Excellent quali by Ruby. He's seems to be such a genuine guy, and I really hope he does well in today's race. The crowd will go nuts, and I think we can expect lots of tears if he wins!

Pretty annoyed I didn't know OneHD were replaying it this morning at a sane hour (9am instead of 3am). It sounds like another epic qualifying session. It almost seems like the qualifying sessions are becoming more action packed than the races.

A question though: what happens if qualifying is unable to be run on the Saturday for whatever reason, eg terrible weather? Do they do it Sunday morning or pick grid spots out of a hat?

I missed qualifying, but it sounds like it was hectic with the rain. Disappointed Vettel didn't make it past Q1, looks like it will be a Brawn driver taking the WDC now. Good to see Webber qualified second, I hope he can win the race.

Also, Webber and the other drivers aren't happy about qualifying been run in the terrible conditions.

Webber voices concerns over organiser decisions

17 October 2009

Mark Webber was not afraid to voice his opinions on what he felt was a highly dangerous qualifying session in Brazil on Saturday afternoon. With a much-delayed session coming to a close an hour and three quarters later than it should have, the Australian eventually managed to qualify second on the grid.

With Red Bull's team radio broadcast to television viewers during qualifying, Webber could clearly be heard advising Race Director Charlie Whiting to 'Put his glasses on' as the field was tested by atrocious driving conditions which resulted in cars aquaplaning, best demonstrated by the Force India of Tonio Liuzzi at Turn 1.

"I don't think it was the right thing to start in those conditions," straight-talking Australian Webber commented. "Every driver I spoke to was of the same opinion - fortunately the right decision was made in the end (to delay Q2) but TV drives things and we have to start."

With Webber believing that the second phase of the hour was rushed into action despite rivers still running down the circuit, Liuzzi's accident resulted in a string of track inspections taking place until the session eventually got going again.

"You cannot have a car losing control in the last sector," Mark said of the rapid final part of the Interlagos part. "The standing water was massive and (the lack of) visibility was a big thing; we have learned today when to drive and when not to - they are not street cars, they are F1 cars; they are quick and low to the ground and they go off quickly when the conditions go wrong.

"I am sure they have learned a bit upstairs (Race Control) today."

Source

I can't comment on the conditions because I missed qualifying, but race control really need to pull their act together if they let "TV drive" their decisions.

A question though: what happens if qualifying is unable to be run on the Saturday for whatever reason, eg terrible weather? Do they do it Sunday morning or pick grid spots out of a hat?

Take Suzuka 2004 as an example. The weather was horrible on Saturday, so quali was run on Sunday morning.

I thought the whole "track inspection in 15 minutes... track inspection in 15 minutes... track inspection in 10 minutes" thing was quite ridiculous.

Of course, on hindsight now that we've seen how awesome the quali outcome was, it's easy to say that the long wait was well-deserved. But watching it live and just waiting and waiting was quite rubbish. It's like they couldn't make up their minds at all. I know this is a business sport and they have to please the sponsors/fans as well as the teams, but come on, it was just ridiculous.