2009 Japanese Formula 1 Grand Prix

Also, assuming Lewis has a comparable fuelload to Vettel, I am very impressed with him. Unfamiliar with the track coming in, very little running over the weekend, but still able to nail 3rd... :D

Not really, F1 cars are so capable nowadays with their superior aerodynamic downforce, the legendary 130R can be taken flat-out with room to spare. Look at Buemi, at one stage he was at P4 in Q2, it's much easier for the drivers to learn the track since everyone is pretty much done in full throttle.

I hope Button can extend his lead by beating Ruby tomorrow, doesn't really matter where he finishes, as long as he is in front of Ruby.

Kimi, hm... I'm hoping for a realistic top 5 finish.

Vettel should claim the race win pretty easily, if he drives an absolute perfect.

and finally I hope hamilton will miss out on the podium, Sutil and Heidfeld deserves the podium finish.

Crazy Quali I must say. I was supposed to finish off my homework after it finished but never got around to it because of the red flags (get well soon Glock). Everyone got really stumped by the Degner corner. And congrats to Vettel and Trulli getting first two places. Brawn's in trouble and so is Ferrari unless Kimi gets it on with the KERS, he'll be fine.

I'm hoping for a Red Bull first place.

Not really, F1 cars are so capable nowadays with their superior aerodynamic downforce, the legendary 130R can be taken flat-out with room to spare. Look at Buemi, at one stage he was at P4 in Q2, it's much easier for the drivers to learn the track since everyone is pretty much done in full throttle.

No. The first sector is full of fast corners which aren't full throttle, and that is the toughest part of the track. And Suzuka isn't difficult for it's throttle application as much as how precise you need to be with the steering. You have to tack from on S to the other at exactly the right moment or you get a swapper, and corner like Degner need such precision (as you have seen) that 1cm to much to the left or right can send you into the barrier. Suzuka and Monaco are the two tracks where, if you keep lapping, you somehow keep finding time. Because of that, Vettel and Lewis' laps are very, very impressive.

Five drivers summoned by the stewards, apparently, because of the Buemi incident and hot laps set under yellow flags.

Button and Barrichello ?

No. The first sector is full of fast corners which aren't full throttle, and that is the toughest part of the track. And Suzuka isn't difficult for it's throttle application as much as how precise you need to be with the steering. You have to tack from on S to the other at exactly the right moment or you get a swapper, and corner like Degner need such precision (as you have seen) that 1cm to much to the left or right can send you into the barrier. Suzuka and Monaco are the two tracks where, if you keep lapping, you somehow keep finding time. Because of that, Vettel and Lewis' laps are very, very impressive.

It's not as hard as it used to be. The simple fact that young drivers that have never raced on this circuit can turn up and deliver results is direct reflection to how capable a modern F1 car can really be.

Probably among the five, yeah. The other three... I think Sutil, Heidfeld, but the fifth one... don't know.

Buemi himself ?

Yeah, I think so. For driving on with a car that was wrecked...

I think Buemi might get a penalty for dangerous driving.

Last edited:
It's not as hard as it used to be.

Oh, no denying that. It's just that I don't think it's any easier to learn than the other tracks on the calendar.

Five drivers summoned by the stewards, apparently, because of the Buemi incident and hot laps set under yellow flags.

Its now 7 drivers summoned to the stewards - Button, Barrichello, Heidfeld, Kubica, Sutil, Alonso (it was 'Button and 5 other drivers' initially) and now Buemi as well.

Sutil is apparently also being questioned about a blocking incident (as well as the hot lap under yellows), though I didn't see what that could be.

By the way this is from Autosport, various paddock twitters and other forums.

Great to see Vettel got Pole, sounds like it was on hectic qualifying session. Shame Webber destroyed is car in FP3 and couldn't participate in qauli...hope Vettel can win and the Brawns miss out on points to make the WDC more interesting.

Webber is definitely out of the championship, isn't he?

Five drivers given grid penalties
By Pablo Elizalde Saturday, October 3rd 2009, 10:26 GMT

Five Formula 1 drivers were given penalties for not lifting off during a yellow-flag period in qualifying for the Japanese Grand Prix.

Championship leader Jenson Button, team-mate Rubens Barrichello, Renault driver Fernando Alonso, Force India's Adrian Sutil and Toro Rosso's Sebastien Buemi were given five-place grid penalties after the session.

The race stewards deemed the first four drivers had not lifted off sufficiently at the end of Q2, when Buemi had crashed, leaving debris on track.

Brawn team boss Ross Brawn said his drivers, who had not set a time until then, had not lifted at all.

"No, they swerved to avoid the problem. But they didn't lift off, no," said Brawn.

Swiss driver Buemi was also reprimanded by the stewards for driving back to the pits with a damaged car and impeding other drivers.

Button had qualified in seventh, Barrichello in fifth, Alonso in 12th, Sutil in fourth and Buemi in 10th.

Revised grid to follow

Kimi jumps up two spots now. :mrgreen::banana:

EDIT: Make that three spots. :banana::banana:

Last edited:
This is shaping up to be a real exciting race. Lots of fast cars towards the bottom of the grid. Hopefully we get a repeat of 2005.

I was throwing pillows at my screen when that incident happened..
Good thing the drivers that didn't lift off were penalized...

edit. Go Kimi! :D
edit 2. LOL @ Mark Webber refering to the MotoGP race and Julian Ryder and Toby Mody. They are the best motorsport commentators around!

Last edited: