2009 Line-Up Rumour Mill

^ I'd rather see Davidson test for Honda. After all the rumors about wolfgang puck leaving or retiring (i mean rubens barrichello), he's currently the lead driver!
Jenson better pick up the pace!

^ I'd rather see Davidson test for Honda. After all the rumors about wolfgang puck leaving or retiring (i mean rubens barrichello), he's currently the lead driver!
Jenson better pick up the pace!

Rubens is certainly making his case, if he wants to drive next year. DC also scored mega, when he really needed to. It's possible that these old guys could stay next year, especially Rubens, if they continue like this.

Coulthard: This could be my last British GP

By Simon Strang Monday, June 30th 2008, 04:31 GMT

David Coulthard, Silverstone testing, 2008David Coulthard has not ruled out the possibility that this weekend's British Grand Prix could be his last home race as a Formula One driver, although the 37-year-old Scot says he still loves competing and wants to continue.

Coulthard is the oldest driver in F1, and the second longest-serving after Rubens Barrichello. He has started 236 GPs and is competing in his 14th full season having made his debut driving for Williams in the 1994 Spanish GP, following the death of Ayrton Senna.

And while the Scot has repeatedly rebuffed questions over retirement or his long-term future in recent years, there is speculation that Red Bull is considering promoting Sebastian Vettel into his seat in the senior team from 2009.

But whether he decides to quit this year or next, or even if the decision is taken out of his hands, Coulthard, whose contract with Red Bull is up for renewal this year, says he will not dwell on it but simply move on to the next phase of his life.

"We're all different, and I'm quite a realist," said Coulthard. "When something has happened, or a decision has been taken or whatever it happens to be, it's not something I dwell on, I just get on with the next thing. It's just one of those things. When that moment comes, it's the journey of life. You just move on to the next thing.

"I'm currently a grand prix driver, I have been for many seasons, and I'm sitting here still as a grand prix driver because I still enjoy it, and I get a buzz from it, and clearly I deliver a value enough for the team to commit to me for the last few years.

"There will come a point, naturally, where that's not going to continue and... boo hoo, you know? There are a lot of worse things that can happen to you. You just move on to the next challenge."

Coulthard, Britain's most successful active F1 driver and a two-time winner at Silverstone with McLaren in 1999 and 2000, admitted that he is relishing the prospect of racing again on his home circuit.

"Pointswise it's just another race, but in terms of atmosphere, the feel-good factor, the history, all of those things are special," he said.

"Driving down Hangar Straight to Stowe Corner, and seeing all of the crowd standing at the side of the track, that is particularly special at Silverstone because it's a British crowd, and you see the British flags, and the home of motorsport is in Britain. So that's a feel-good moment.

"A lot of tracks you don't even bother looking out at the grandstands, but when you are on Hangar Straight you're not driving - you're just sitting on the straight waiting until you get to the braking point. So you soak up the atmosphere.

"I've always been like that since 1994, and I will be doing exactly the same when I race there in a couple of weeks."

Asked if he would give anything to stand on the podium one last time at Silverstone, Coulthard replied: "Well, I wouldn't give anything, but it would definitely be a great feeling. But I really enjoyed being on the podium in Canada - it's a great feeling."

Source

Bourdais not thinking about future

Sunday, 29 June 2008 21:37

Sebastien Bourdais says he is sanguine about his Formula 1 future and not even thinking about whether he will still be on the grid in 2009.

Although the Toro Rosso driver scored two points on his debut in Australia (being classified seventh after suffering a late engine failure when fourth), his form has fluctuated since then and he has recently struggled to match team-mate Sebastian Vettel's performances in the new STR3 chassis.

His situation is also complicated by the fact that the Red Bull organisation is looking to sell Toro Rosso in the near future as it will soon be prevented from transferring chassis technology from the senior Red Bull Racing team to the junior squad.

While Vettel has been strongly linked to a promotion to RBR next season, Bourdais' prospects remain unclear.

But the four-time Champ Car World Series champion is taking a fatalistic approach and says he will have 'no regrets' whatever transpires next season ? although he doesn't feel he has shown his true potential in F1 yet.

"Obviously if you start looking at this then you can get worried," he told itv.com/f1.

"You either completely disregard it, which is pretty much the approach I choose to adopt ? after all, we?ve only had eight races so we?re not even mid-season yet.

"I can?t really say I feel that I?ve shown what I wanted to show this year so far.

"What happen will happen.

"I?m kind of a free man.

"If I get fired because of this or because of that then so be it.

"What?s really important for me is that I give my best.

"And I am giving my best, even if it?s not paying off right now.

"But you can only influence so many parameters, so I will have no regrets, that?s for sure.

"I?m doing the very best I can, and if it?s not enough in some people?s opinion then fine."

He added that he hoped he did get the chance to stay on for 2009, as he believes the revised technical regulations will suit his driving style better.

"I can only hope I?ll be able to show what I can do with a car that has slick tyres," Bourdais said.

Source

This will be David Coultard's last season, but Bourdais will probably have a drive next year.

Do we find that situation just?? Granted its Bourdais' first season, so perhaps he should be given more of a chance.

I finished reading Coulthards autobiography about 15 minutes ago for the second time so sort of feeling a bit positive towards him at the moment. Those comments suggest his motivation is no longer there though. Just a nice feeling to stand on the podium?? C'mon to some up and coming drivers it would be a highlight of their lives.

Yeah, but he's had loads of wins before...he's used to it...

But remember how stoked Schumacher looked after every win?? Remember Senna's drive to win every time he stepped in a race car.

The different between the very good and the great.

^ it's good to see old guys like DC and Rubens doing well - there always seem to be a push to get young guns in the car - sometimes before they are ready.

That being said, I think Davidson should get another shot.

At the post race press conference for the Canadian GP it looked like Coulthard was about to announce his retirement any moment, but then decided against it. Probably because they'd slot Vettel into his seat next race.

Toro Rosso happy with its current drivers

01 July 2008

Scuderia Toro Rosso drivers Sebastian Vettel and Sebastien Bourdais do not have to worry about their position within the team according to team principal Franz Tost. Tost has said both Vettel and Bourdais have shown good results in the first half of the season.

Red Bull Racing's little brother, Scuderia Toro Rosso, is the Austrian's energy drink's team to guide talent to the top. It wouldn't come as a big surprise to see Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull Racing next season, but for now the Toro Rosso team hopes to keep both drivers until the end of the season at least as they are happy with the duo's performance.

"Vettel has pretty much jumped into Formula 1 after a very short racing career," said Franz Tost. "With the current very high level of performance from all the drivers on the grid, you can't just come into this category and show the others how to drive.

"A young driver needs three years until he understands what F1 is about, it's not just driving the car, he needs to understand the whole environment, the engineering, the marketing, the press and bring all these elements together to build up the complete picture to understand when to do what. On this level I am very happy with both our drivers. Vettel is doing a very good job because we can see his learning curve is increasing and he is getting better and better and I am convinced that in the next few races we will see the results of this.

"Bourdais had a fantastic start in Melbourne and he has also had some other good races. He too is improving and we can expect to see more good races from him."

Source

I seem to remember the SPEED Channel guys talking about Doornbos to Renault? Where did that rumor come from?

I seem to remember the SPEED Channel guys talking about Doornbos to Renault? Where did that rumor come from?

Well he is one of their test/roadshow/experience day drivers. I know that for certain after two guys from the Romanian edition of TG Magazine went to a "Renault F1 Feel It" day at Paul Ricard and described their experience in an article. They were saying that Doornbos drove them around in the two-seater f1 car.

Everyone would like to have Alonso in their car - Brawn

Fernando Alonso would be more than welcome at Honda according to Team Principal Ross Brawn. According to Brawn, every team is interested in the services of the former double world champion and of course Honda is no different.

Ross Brawn said to 'Motorsport Aktuell': "Honda is no different, of course. Fernando is a very good driver that everyone would like to have sitting in their car."

Brawn is a former employee of Ferrari and he is convinced that Alonso is most interested in the Maranello based outfit. He said: "I know what team he would like to go to, everyone does. The reality is that, before we can talk seriously with him, the situation with Ferrari must be resolved."

At the moment, Alonso is racing for Renault with whom he won the 2005 and 2006 title. He moved back to the French outfit after a year at McLaren.

http://www.f1technical.net/news/9637?sid=4ddc86e7f68df21780bad50fbb262185

Alonso at Ferrari just doesn't feel right to me...

Maybe SEAT will join as a manufacturer and he can drive for them? :lol:

Webber extends Red Bull contract

03 July 2008

The Red Bull Racing team announced on Thursday afternoon it has reached an agreement with its driver Mark Webber for him to continue racing for the team in 2009. Earlier today the team's other driver, David Coulthard, announced he will retire at the end of this season.

"I'm very happy to have signed up for another year with Red Bull Racing so early in the season," Webber said. "As far back as the middle of last year, it was very clear to me that I enjoyed working with the team, playing my part in its development and helping it move forward. So far this year, our reliability has improved and that's allowed us to exploit our performance.

"The progress the team has made in the last ten months has been excellent and I am looking forward to carrying that momentum through to the end of the season. Continuing with Red Bull Racing for 2009 was a very easy decision for me to make, as I enjoy being part of this team and that has shown through in my driving. It's very difficult to predict how any team will perform in twelve months time, but we have some clever people here, with a stable team and I believe 2009 will see us in even better shape for next year, when the technical regulations go through a major change."

Red Bull Racing has yet to announce Webber's team mate for 2009 but Red Bull rookie driver Sebastian Vettel is speculated to be on top of the list to move from Toro Rosso to Red Bull Racing.
Source

Good news for Mark, Red Bull have made big improvements this year and hopefully they continue to do so for many seasons to come.

I hope Vettel will be his team mate (I'm sure he will be) as they'll make a strong combination for the team.

Last edited:
Yep agreed, excellent excellent news.

Barrichello hopes to continue racing

Monday, 07 July 2008 11:08

Rubens Barrichello says he still has no intention of retiring from Formula 1 in the near future after ending his podium drought with a superb third at Silverstone.

The Brazilian veteran, who is now the most experienced driver in F1 history and who would become the oldest driver on the grid when David Coulthard retires next year, is yet to secure a contract extension with Honda but hopes to stay on with the team.

"I think the podium comes at a good time," Barrichello said.

"I have no intention of stopping.

"I will only stop if I have nowhere else to go, but my intention is to stay with Honda.

"I have no contracts just yet, but I feel young.

"I love racing more than I ever did.

"The day that I find that I'm actually slower than in that first race at Kyalami is the day I will stop.

"Right now I'm just feeling that I'm faster than that day."

He said that he was happy to commit to Honda for the rest of his career even though the team had struggled for results in recent seasons.

"I joined them for a purpose," Barrichello said.

"I always thought they had a fantastic 2004 season.

"They didn't do very well in 2005, so I thought that it was just going to come back in 2006 because they have fantastic engineers, fantastic mechanics, the organisation, the whole policy of the team is good.

"But they needed a technical leader, so it took a long time until Ross (Brawn) came.

"Everything calmed down a bit and now we have a lot of respect between ourselves and I think the work is nice, very nice."

Source

We'll see Rubens...

I don't think he wil make the decision to stop, I think if someone makes it, it will be Honda who will want Fernando instead. If, however, Fernando moves somewhere else or stays at Renault, I'm sure Barichello will stay at Honda.

After yesterday's drive, we all saw that there's still a lot of life in the old dog. So I wouldn't bet against him driving in 2009. And I guess he'll still be at Honda.

As for Alonso, I think he will stay at Renault for 2009, knowing that, because of the new rules, everyone will start with a blank sheet of paper. If he moves anywhere, my bet would be a move to Red Bull in place of Crazy Dave, while Vettel will be loaned to Renault, putting Bruno Senna in the Toro Rosso.