2009 Malaysian Formula 1 Grand Prix

Question are you required to run both compounds like last year?...

Yep, but not during or after rain. If they had to switch or start on inters/wetsthey don't have to use both and can just stick to whichever tyre they like best.
I read on Formula1.com that Bridgestone is bringing the soft & hard compounds contrary to Australia, where they brought supersofts & medium compounds.
Short stints like AnGuRuSO implied seem likely to happen and for KERS teams this means they'll probably try to get the softs out of the way as quick as possible (and use them for some 1st-lap overtaking while they're at it ;)).
If there's a high chance of rain teams might probably just start on the hard and hope they can switch to inters/wet during the race therefore forgoing the softs.

If this keeps up managing tyres throughout the year is gonna be a bitch for them. :/

I would prefer if the tyres had a much variation of preference. It's mostly teams choosing the softer one only because they have to. If only Bridgestone made both equally desirable, but with difference effects

1. Who will take pole position and who will win the race?
The quickest in Q3 and the first to cross the line after a set number of laps around a predetermined course :D

2. Will Brawn GP maintain the dominant pace that they have shown in Australia?
Well the sexually inexperienced car didn't have much time to become obsolete, so yes, they will.

3. Will the reliability bugbears keep tripping Ferrari up?
Yep

4. Which driver will be the first one to spin out of the race?
Guess that'll be the first who gets rearended by Kovy or Piquet. May just be piquet by himself as well.

5. How many Safety Car interventions will be needed during this race?
Depends on how far ahead Button is. If he keeps the gaps small enough there might not be a need for an SC.

6. How badly will this race be affected by rainfall?
Ask them meteorologists (or how ever that is spelt)

7. We've seen quite a lot of overtaking being done at Melbourne; do you think the trend will continue at Sepang?
No. Every driver will be too scared to overtake, because in case of contact you might be punished by a 10 positions drop on the grid, or you might get 25 seconds which drop you from 3rd to 12th. So everyone will keep his position, even if the driver infront slows down.

Last edited:
The quickest in Q3 and the first to cross the line after a set number of laps around a predetermined course :D

Well the sexually inexperienced car didn't have much time to become obsolete, so yes, they will.

Yep

Guess that'll be the first who gets rearended by Kovy or Piquet. May just be piquet by himself as well.

Depends on how far ahead Button is. If he keeps the gaps small enough there might not be a need for an SC.

7. We've seen quite a lot of overtaking being done at Melbourne; do you think the trend will continue at Sepang?
No. Every driver will be too scared to overtake, because in case of contact you might be punished by a 10 positions drop on the grid, or you might get 25 seconds which drop you from 3rd to 12th. So everyone will keep his position, even if the driver infront slows down.
:lol:

Yep

:+1:

I would prefer if the tyres had a much variation of preference. It's mostly teams choosing the softer one only because they have to. If only Bridgestone made both equally desirable, but with difference effects

Do you mean similar to last year? or do you prefer the this year where the compounds are much different?

I really hope this week McLaren and Ferrari are on there game this week. It would make qualifying and the race that much more interesting. 4 more cars at the top of pace including the new surprise front runners

Well, I would prefer if the teams actively chose one of the other compounds for strategic reasons rather than just being forced to.

Well, I would prefer if the teams actively chose one of the other compounds for strategic reasons rather than just being forced to.

That would never happen. All the teams would use the same tire out of the two most of the time.

Rather, they should bring all the tires, and let the teams choose. That's what almost every other major series does. Oh and also let them mix and match compounds. Like, mediums in the back and softs in the front.

That would never happen. All the teams would use the same tire out of the two most of the time.

Rather, they should bring all the tires, and let the teams choose. That's what almost every other major series does. Oh and also let them mix and match compounds. Like, mediums in the back and softs in the front.

In the old days you had to choose your tyre before qualifying; hard or soft. Soft compound would usually be quicker over one lap and therefore ideal for qualifying, but not very durable so they'd light fuel the car and run two or three stop strategies. The guys on the hard tyre tended to run one stoppers.

1. Button or a Ferrari.
2. Probably.
3. No.
4. Kovalainen
5. 0.
6. Not too badly.
7. Hopefully.

Button x2
probably
hope not...they've always been good in Malaysia
Nakajima...
1 at least
if it rains heavily, very badly IMO! With the sun so low, rainclouds would mak it difficult!
God I hope so :) The track should be better then Melbourne!

I got a feeling that another unforced error from Nelson Piquet Jr will result in him getting sacked and Bruno Senna driving for Renault in 2010.

Imagine if they fired him mid-season. :|

or after malaysia (if he crashes like he did in melbourne).

8 hours to FP1! :woot:

In other Piquet news (I just had to post this because the title made me laugh) :

Nelson Piquet Q&A: out-qualifying Alonso the goal for Malaysia

After a largely miserable debut year in 2008, Nelson Piquet wanted to get his second season at Renault underway in style at last weekend?s Australian Grand Prix. Unfortunately for Piquet his R29?s brakes had other ideas and he retired from the race on Lap 24. All the same, the Brazilian is optimistic ahead of Sunday?s Sepang race that the Malaysian track will suit him, his car, and his KERS?

Q: In Melbourne you had a problem with the brakes. Have you been able to start to look for a solution?
Nelson Piquet: Unfortunately not. We still do not know where the problem was. All of a sudden the brakes went long. Apart from that I had a very good race. In front of me there were some crashes, which I was able to avoid being involved in, and I was able to gain some places. Up to the point where my brakes started to suddenly fade, I was just trying to maintain my position.

Q: Is there any evidence that the pace of the car will be similar or even better this weekend in Malaysia?
NP: At the Malaysian track our car should be better, as it suits us better. Here we have less bumps and a more flowing track.

Q: How do you feel about the new technical regulations? Is it more pleasurable to race?
NP: It does not make much difference, except that the car is quicker, which we drivers like. This is in our nature. As for the engineers, it was already clear that the car would be quicker due to their simulations and estimations of the development, so this was no surprise. The overall driving style is the same, and as you can see, the car has not been slowed by three seconds or more.

Q: What about the development of the car going forward?
NP: We have a lot of space for improvement. At the moment the car is everywhere and very difficult to hold on the track. In terms of the development, we are in the same position as most of the other teams, and it will not be easy to outdo them in development. For sure, the engineers are working 24 hours each day in the factory looking for improvement. Also we have a limited budget and we need to spend the money in the right areas. We are not as big as some of the other teams.

Q: Do you think that if Renault adapted the R29?s rear more in line with that of the Brawn GP cars, you could close the gap?
NP: Obviously yes, as all the teams always want to close the gap to the leading team. But I am not too worried about this issue, as I know the engineers are doing their best to do exactly that.

Q: What do you think about KERS, will it be more effective at the Sepang race?
NP: As there are some longer straights than in Melbourne, we might have a bit more of an advantage when overtaking.

Q: How are you finding the pressure?
NP: This is not easy to answer. The Melbourne track did not suit me so well, so this race will be a good showcase and test for myself. I want to qualify well, and if possible even ahead of Fernando (Alonso).

Q: Do you have any concerns about visibility here in Malaysia?
NP: The weather conditions are completely different here. Personally, I am not worried.

I don't want to be mean about the guy, but with how he performed last year and in Melbourne, it's just a bit hard to see him out-qualifying Alonso unless Alonso has an off.

I don't want to be mean about the guy, but with how he performed last year and in Melbourne, it's just a bit hard to see him out-qualifying Alonso unless Alonso has an off.

Or unless Alonso has an attack of Niki Lauda syndrome later on this season. (retirement followed by un-retirement)

haha i just read the prerace interview: jenson is pretty relaxed and confident. His attitude seems like hes an awesome guy.

Q. (Andrea Cremonesi ? La Gazzetta dello Sport) And I would just like to know from all of you if only the weather can change the first two steps on the podium for Sunday?

JB: I hope not. Apart from that, what can I say?

Sorry, my question was can only the weather make the change, the difference? Is there somebody else who can fight for victory in this Grand Prix?

JB: Rubens?

hahaha.