2009 Spanish Formula 1 Grand Prix

God race for Button, always strong but given the car most would be. Rubbens was fucked by his team. They say 3 stop was the fastest strategy but it also involves overtaking on the track and with this stupid track thats just not possible. Why not just stick with the same strategy as Button, they had almost the same amount of fuel and Button was behind. If anything its Button who had to look for ways to overtake Rubbens.

His name is Rubens, not Rubbens. You should try to find out how the driver's names are spelled before starting to lay out conspiracy theories. As Rubens himself said in the post-gp interviews, his third set of tires was rubbish, which is why he _lost_ .3 to .5 of a second per lap on Massa instead of gaining 1+ second like he did in the two stints before. If the tires would have worked, he'd have overtaken Massa during Massa's second stop, without a need to overtake anyone on the track.
That's what fucked him up, bad tires. Not his team playing pro-Jenson (who was on the same strategy, by the way). I would not blame them if they did, cause he's clearly ahead of Rubens in the world championship.

Last edited:
OK, I've looked at the times again and partly I agree that Rubens was slow after 2nd pit stop. At that point he was 9sec behind and his 3rd stint lasted for 15 laps. This means he would have had to be 0.6sec a lap faster than Button to just catch him and another half a second to come out in front after last pit stop. To me it still seems like a wrong but more importantly unsafe strategy.

Massa should have been on the podium or at least 4th. Seriously WTF.
Kimi- :cry:
On the plus side at least Ferrari have some decent speed again.

Interesting race, although ruined somewhat by Massa's fast starting Ferrari which held up the Red Bulls and effectively ruined Vettel and Webber's respective races. It would've been good to see Vettel take the fight to the Brawns as I'm sure he would've done had Massa not been in the way for 63 laps. Great to see Webber on the podium again, those laps on the soft tyres while Massa and Vettel were on hards made the difference.

Apart from that it was quite dull, which is typical of most Spanish Grand Prixs. Thought Hamilton did a great job of avoiding the crash that unfolded ahead of him which he could so easily have been a part of.

Webber and Alonso's tussle was pretty spectacular to watch, great driving from both players.

I didn't get a chance to watch the race. Appears Trulli had an accident, what happened?

OK race - good result again for Brawn. Felt sorry for STR - that was damn unlucky. Ferrari less good than I was expecting, they have to get their act together or write the season off and plan for next year. Same for McMerc too.

Felt a bit sorry for Rubens but that is the way the racing goes. I think that Ross Brawn must be a bloody genius you know.

About the racism topic that the British media will blow out of proportion as usual. Sadly, among thousands of people ther will always be a few morons that are going to do something stupid, but saying that Spain, as a whole, is a racist country will always sell more newspapers.

About the racism topic that the British media will blow out of proportion as usual. Sadly, among thousands of people ther will always be a few morons that are going to do something stupid, but saying that Spain, as a whole, is a racist country will always sell more newspapers.

Pretty much what I was going to say.

Kimi said he couldn't see the start lights from the back of the grid because the rear wing of the car in front was in the way. Pretty ridiculous, and strange that no one else has brought this up.

Kimi said he couldn't see the start lights from the back of the grid because the rear wing of the car in front was in the way. Pretty ridiculous, and strange that no one else has brought this up.

Worst excuse ever. :p

:lol: Where did he say that?

OK, I've looked at the times again and partly I agree that Rubens was slow after 2nd pit stop. At that point he was 9sec behind and his 3rd stint lasted for 15 laps. This means he would have had to be 0.6sec a lap faster than Button to just catch him and another half a second to come out in front after last pit stop. To me it still seems like a wrong but more importantly unsafe strategy.

He had 18 flying laps on his 3rd stint (taking the in lap as a flying lap). He was 7 seconds behind Button after his last stop. He needed to be about .4 of a second faster per lap in his third stint than he was, but as I showed earlier, he was .6 sec off his 2nd stint pace. He should have been able to do it with a few seconds to spare. Basically the strategy was sound, but something went wrong.
Why the hell is it unsafe to expect a driver to drive the car fast? That's their job for fucks sake.

I don't really know what to think about this race. For the Finns it was a rubbish day. I'm quite happy for BrawnGP, they came up on top again. The new updates didn't have that big of an effect. Ferrari have improved, and so have BMW. Toyota weren't on their level I think. Sorry for Force India, they haven't been able to improve as I thought and hoped. The track gets my ranting, overtaking was virtually non-existent.

Were there some dodgy tactics from BrawnGP? Can someone explain the situation in a nutshell? Rubens didn't look that happy. On another point, Heidfeld is continuing his streak, so well done Nick.