2009 Toyota Corolla and Matrix debut at SEMA (suprise, the Corolla is still boring)

You know theres a 3.5L V6 Corolla in Japan? 280HP to the front wheels! (theres also a 4WD version) Is there another FWD production car with so much power?
(Its called a Blade BTW)

And to agree with everyone, boring car.

Probably plenty.

(After all, we have a 323hp Aurion (restyled Camry) with a supercharged version of that engine, with power to the front)

After all, what about those American cars of old with 400+ci engines and FWD? Then again, considering Yank tanks of the later 70's and 80's, they probly had 110hp. :p

After all, what about those American cars of old with 400+ci engines and FWD? Then again, considering Yank tanks of the later 70's and 80's, they probly had 110hp. :p
There was only one that I can think of, the Oldsmobile Toronado. First FWD car from the Big 3, could be had with up to a 455cid engine. Torque steer much? :lol: I hear they're awesome in the snow though.

Oh look! More lame cars from Toyota! Surprise, surprise. :yawn:

There was only one that I can think of, the Oldsmobile Toronado. First FWD car from the Big 3, could be had with up to a 455cid engine. Torque steer much? :lol: I hear they're awesome in the snow though.

Apparently early Toronados did a good job of managing torque steer, probably because of all that weight that it couldn't turn in the first place. :p But later fail-drive Seville STSs with 300hp worked ok, supposedly.

I know so many old people who just buy a newer version Camry every time one comes out without even thinking.

Here too. They just lease until the new model comes out.

If you mean reliability by stuff like the engines and transmission, then yes. Otherwise, the interior trim and plastics are all dreadful.

The only newer Toyota I have been in is a 2007 Rav 4 and the interior is horrible. Cheap, hard plastics and ugly. Boo-urns.

Does this have anything to do with the Auris?

boring as usual, i wish Toyota would make an affordable sports car! (aka. rwd)

Does this have anything to do with the Auris?

I think the Auris is the European version of the Corolla, and this Corolla is the Japanese version... therefore some countries sell either one, some sell both. Kinda like how your Civic is different from ours.

Probably plenty.

(After all, we have a 323hp Aurion (restyled Camry) with a supercharged version of that engine, with power to the front)

Yeah I knew about the older cars. Is the Camry an Aus only version locally built to compete with the hotted up Falcon and Commodore/Monaros? Supercharging sounds like it.

The Cadillacs are a bit bigger, but still, 300HP to the front wheels in any car is pretty nuts.

Oh, I was checking to get some info on it (which is difficult cos its Japan only) and one article mentioned Toyota was thinking about bringing the 4WD version and th V6 version to Europe to compete with Audi and VW.

Last edited:
The Cadillacs are a bit bigger, but still, 300HP to the front wheels in any car is pretty nuts.

are you talkin about the new CTS? thats RWD, not fail wheel drive.

are you talkin about the new CTS? thats RWD, not fail wheel drive.

He was obviously not talking about the CTS. The DTS/Deville was FWD as well as the Seville.

Yeah I knew about the older cars. Is the Camry an Aus only version locally built to compete with the hotted up Falcon and Commodore/Monaros? Supercharging sounds like it.

Its called the TRD Aurion which is a hotted up version of the Aurion sedan designed to go after cars like the SV6 Commadore and XR-6T/FPV Typhoon Falcons. Australia is the only place in the world where the V6 Camry is marketed under a different name. It is mostly Camry though with only changes to the front and rear styling, the floor pan and bodyside stampings as well as most of the body electrics not engine related are Camry.

Is that a face lift or a complete redesign?? WTF it looks nothing like Auris that I sat in when I was in Japan. In fact, the Auris wasn't that good, but they've managed to make this even worse! I guarantee that this is going to be a bad car.

It will be unreliable, badly built, and unwanted.

Toyota claim it is a redesign. But I suspect the redesign went as far as changing the engine and transmission mounts to take the new engine and gearbox. I still think it is a facelift. When I get my hands on a newer one I'll be able to see if the suspension and chassis is the same between the zze12x and the zre15x.

As for reliablility everyone doubted the zze12x models when they first came out, but only a complete moron could break one.

The Matrix has always reminded me of the Mazdas :barf: And the American version of the new Corolla looks too......Camry. But thats mainly because they are unlucky and get the sedan version and not the hatch.

It isnt. Its a clean sheet design. Its actually bigger than the zze12X corollas.

Its called the TRD Aurion which is a hotted up version of the Aurion sedan designed to go after cars like the SV6 Commadore and XR-6T/FPV Typhoon Falcons. Australia is the only place in the world where the V6 Camry is marketed under a different name. It is mostly Camry though with only changes to the front and rear styling, the floor pan and bodyside stampings as well as most of the body electrics not engine related are Camry.

No, we get the Aurion too, just not the supercharged version.

Apparently early Toronados did a good job of managing torque steer, probably because of all that weight that it couldn't turn in the first place.
Thinking about it, they probably had overkill powersteering too. Every old tank I've driven has taken like 15 turns of the steering wheel to go lock to lock. Can you imagine trying to drive one of those hard? Cranking away at the wheel, shit brakes, a 700lb engine sitting on top of the front wheels with something like 400-450lbft of torque on narrow ass bias plys. Scary :lol:.

No, we get the Aurion too, just not the supercharged version.

in Aus, it's a totally different car (not really, but you know what i mean). in the middle-east, its just a Camry that was built here.

in Aus, it's a totally different car (not really, but you know what i mean). in the middle-east, its just a Camry that was built here.

Middle East Camry:

2.4L 4-cyl engine, built in Australia.

Middle East Aurion:

3.5L V6 engine, also built in Australia.

I believe both models are sold in Australia under the same names.

I stand corrected, totaly forgot about middle eastren exports

Wow, that Aurion actually looks decent. And it's available with a supercharged V6 and AWD? Why the hell don't we get that here? Americans love POOOWER! :lol: