2010 Canadian Grand Prix

Is ghost riding the whip actually a punishable offense in F1?

Nah, McLaren were punished for another bureaucratic rule, in that Lewis didn't make it back to the pits "within the allocated amount of time" after qually ended :lol:.

Great Qually sesh (On a bit late tho for us in Aus!)

The Question: Tyres

It seems that both the Red Bulls (and I think someone else...erm Renault?) are on the harder tyre, while everybody else (in the top 10) is on the softer tyre.

Ignoring how this will affect the race in terms of pit stops, it makes me think how much faster the Red Bulls would have gone on the softs? Maybe Red Bull sacrificed a pole position for a better race setup?

Oh and Seb didn't look too happy....

Hrmm, it's hard to make a call on who is in the best shape for the race. The Red Bulls were more competitive than I expected on the hards with pace that really seemed to come from nowhere, however they werent that quick on the soft tyres which they burn up very quickly. It'll probably be a two stop race as it's unreasonable to expect the hard tyres to last 50 laps or so. They have the advantage of running the soft tyres at the end of the race when the track will have rubbered in and the tyres wont degrade as much.

Hamilton did two flying lap on those softs and we've seen how they fall off the edge after two or three laps so he may struggle in the early stages before the tyres come back to him. Again, it seems unreasonable to expect the usual one stop strategy from him. Safety car may change things but we'll have to see. Personally I think this one may fall Red Bull's way assuming there's no rain or anything unexpected.

Then again, if Red Bull are aiming to run a long first stint, a safety car might screw them when Hamilton and Alonso pit earlier. If Hamilton pits on say, lap 15 and there's a safety car on lap 16 (or anywhere between 16-30), Red Bull will probably be done. And this is a track where there is always a safety car.

Last edited:
Webber has been given a 5 place grid penalty for changing the gearbox.

The conspiracy theorist in me says it's a plot by Red Bull to avoid conflict between Webber and Vettel and to favour Vettel in the race to allow him to catch back up in the championship.

hang on a sec...here it is :p

its_a_conspiracy.jpg

Last edited:
Brundle: John, where's your boy at right now? (to John Button)
Button: I think he's gone to the toilet
Brundle: Excellent...

:lol::lol::lol:

Just finished watching Quali. Mercedes should be pretty concerned! FI was in front of them, and it seems their maximum is 1:16.0 --

Awesome lap by Hamilton though, he's edging out Alonso for best driver in my book nowadays, as he seems to be getting very experienced overall. Though Vettels lap was also pretty awesome, they were discounting that lap up until the 3rd sector - then BAM!

How awful are these option tyres?

Their "golden lap" seems to be #3, but after that they just disintegrate through graining. Hence why the guys who qualified on them have now dumped them in the first seven laps while the Red Bulls, who started on the Primes, have been rocketing.

Nice pit action between Alonso and Lewis.

Their "golden lap" seems to be #3, but after that they just disintegrate through graining. Hence why the guys who qualified on them have now dumped them in the first seven laps while the Red Bulls, who started on the Primes, have been rocketing.

Nice pit action between Alonso and Lewis.

Yeah, that was good stuff.

Does make me wonder when the drivers who started on the prime compounds will switch to the option tyres. I can't imagine it'll be with too many laps left, should make things really interesting towards the end of the race.

Does make me wonder when the drivers who started on the prime compounds will switch to the option tyres. I can't imagine it'll be with too many laps left, should make things really interesting towards the end of the race.

I would guess with maybe 10 to go, depending on their track position. I think even the Primes might not go the distance, so this may be a two stop race (Option / Prime / Prime or Prime / Prime / Option).

I would guess with maybe 10 to go, depending on their track position. I think even the Primes might not go the distance, so this may be a two stop race (Option / Prime / Prime or Prime / Prime / Option).

Well, Webber just switched from prime to option. He'll probably come back onto a fresh set of primes within a few laps.

Hamilton in the lead now and he's used both compounds. I'm interested to see how he takes his next stop, if he even makes one. Surely his tyres won't last another 55 laps?

Schumacher in to swap primes with only 13 laps? Wonder if he picked up a puncture.

No, here comes Webber one lap later. Looks like the primes aren't holding up so well, either...

Course, Schumacher promptly going off road with Kubica probably didn't help the fresh set. Plus he improved his position, which is a no-no.

Last edited:
Yeah, surely not. Nico Rosberg seems to be having trouble with his primes now. I'd expect Lewis to pit around lap 35-40 or so.

This race is great!