2010 Formula 1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

ahpadt

Forum Addict
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/ah/ahpadt/2010/11/07/yas.jpg

Race date: 14th of November, 2010
Number of laps: 55
Circuit length: 5.554 km
Race distance: 305.470 km
Lap record: 1:40.279 (Sebastian Vettel, 2009)
Last winner: Sebastian Vettel

1) Pole and winner?
2) Who will become WDC and how will the standings look after the race (top 4)?
3) Will Red Bull lock out the front row again?
4) Any safety cars or race surprises?
5) Will the sand cause problems for the track?
6) Which rookie has impressed you the most in 2010?
7) Which new team has impressed you the most in 2010?
8) Do you think Red Bull will carry the momentum and still have a dominant car in 2011?
9) How do you think the new regulations will make the racing better or worse in 2011?
10) Was Red Bull the deserving WCC? If not, who was?

(thought I'd have a go with making one of these threads, just for once, so go easy)

Pole and winner?
Pole: Vettel Win: Webber
Who will become WDC and how will the standings look after the race (top 4)?
Webber (Top four being Webber, Alsonso, Vettel, Hamilton.
Will Red Bull lock out the front row again?
I think so
Any safety cars or race surprises?
At least one, guessing at the start.
Will the sand cause problems for the track?
Hard to say
Which rookie has impressed you the most in 2010?
Hulkenberg
Which new team has impressed you the most in 2010?
None of them really impressed me, but Lotus was best of the worst.
Do you think Red Bull will carry the momentum and still have a dominant car in 2011?
If the current trend continues their next car will be absolutely unbeatable. I doubt that, but I think they'll be among the top runners
How do you think the new regulations will make the racing better or worse in 2011?
Return of kers should make things interesting as well as the mechanical grip which is probably lower now that the double diffuser is banned. Weird they banned the f-duct though. Looking forward to the impact of the new tires on all of this. I'm sure one of the teams will come with trick as well, the question is, who is that going to be?
Was Red Bull the deserving WCC? If not, who was?
Absolutely. Best car of the year.

1) Pole and winner?
Webber, Hamilton
Hamilton
Hamilton,Glock,Di Grassi,Kobanzaiashi
(I know unlikely but what a race it would be)

Only for quali
Yes
Yes
Yes
Virgin
8) Do you think Red Bull will carry the momentum and still have a dominant car in 2011?
With Newey its likely
9) How do you think the new regulations will make the racing better or worse in 2011?
Meh F1 rarely has a boring season whatever the rules BRING IT ON!
NO Virgin

1) Pole and winner?
Vettel and Alonso

Alsonso, Webber, Hamilton Vettel

No or maybe

Camels ?

Like traction problems or engine failures? No, don't think so.

Hulk after the pole today.

Lotus have scored the best publicity.

Top three, "for sure"

Worse, no f-duct WTF-duct? Why was that banned?

Yes, best car desreving WCC.

:)

1) Pole and winner?
Vettel, Webber

Webber will be WDC (pleeeease!) Top 4 - Webber, Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton

You betcha

Vettel gives in to team orders for the greater good and lets Webber past.

Doubtful. Maybe the sand could get in Alonso's engine and cause it to go pop?

The Hulk

HRT - they made it to the end of the season and look like being there next year. Quite a feat really!

They wont make the same mistake Brawn did. Newey is too smart for that.

Doesn't make much difference. The Designers/Engineers always find a way to go faster.

Totally deserving. Best car of 2010

1) Pole and winner?
Vettel, Vettel and Alonso 2nd

Alonso, Vettel, Webber, Hamilton

maybe

I like the idea of safety camels.

No there is no snow, so no need of sand on the road.

If I can say Kobayashi than him, if not it has to be Hulk, because the rest was rubbish, had a rubbish car, or both.

I think standings shows what I think about the teams. They all were slower than expected, with Lotus clearly the best (and also being the most professional and focused). Also HRT made better impression than Virgin, maybe they had more luck, but with such car they aren't last.

They will be there.

KERS instead of the f-duct and no DDD. So changes aren't big. More significant than regulations can be the change of tyres, but tbh I don't think it'll be a big issue as well.

WCC should go to the team with the best car. RBR had the best car this year by far.

If vettel wins and webber is 2nd and fernando 5th - vettel can win this! hmm.. it really is a 3 horse.

1) Pole and winner? Pole and Win to Vettel; unless fernando is 4th or 3rd- then vettel will let webber through.
2) Who will become WDC and how will the standings look after the race (top 4)? Too hard to tell.
3) Will Red Bull lock out the front row again? hmm.. qualifying is gonna determine the championship barring technical problems - i hope not.
4) Any safety cars or race surprises? yes please!
6) Which rookie has impressed you the most in 2010? none.
7) Which new team has impressed you the most in 2010? lotus, but barely.
8) Do you think Red Bull will carry the momentum and still have a dominant car in 2011? No- really depends on comfort on the pirellis.
10) Was Red Bull the deserving WCC? If not, who was? YES! they should have closed it out a while ago.. I hope they settle this team orders business for good, as its really messed with RBR.

Remember that there will be a movable rear wing, which should in essence do the same thing as the F-ducts (less drag on the straights for overtaking).

1) Pole and winner?
one of the Red Bulls

unless Alonso blows an engine (pray to god that he does), then realistically Alonso is the WDC, but if he does blow an engine/crash it will be an epic race between Webber and Vettel for it.

easily, unless we get another midfield car fluke it.

Vettel gives in to team orders for the greater good and lets Webber past.
and pigs might fly... Hopefully the 'surprise' is that Alonso cooks an engine.

Probably not.

Hulkenburg

Virgin. Considering their car was designed completely with CAD, it was actually impressive that they managed to drive.

It would be good. Also hopefully there will be a couple more teams with decent cars to be in contention.

they always change the rules to make the cars slower, but the engineers meet the new challenges and somehow go even faster.

They dominated the WCC from the start of the year and really should have wrapped it up ages ago.

Part of me feels Webber will do it and become WDC. However another part of me thinks Webber's characteristic bad luck will come back to haunt him and either his car will die, Vettel will be a twat or Alonso will just be too good for him.

I'm rooting for Webber, but I'm not 100% convinced he can do it. So fingers crossed.

1) Pole and winner?

1) Vettel/Webber Pole and Webber for the win
2) Webber/Alonso
3) Yes
4) No
5) No
6) The Hulk
7) Lotus and to an extent Virgin. They did well for designing and testing a car purely with CFD from scratch.
8) Yes, Newey will be unstoppable RB have a fundamentally fast car and a change in the appendages and trinkety bits like the DDD wont change that. Their base is higher than everyone else's.
9) Less down-force from diffusers, hopefully better KERS implementations should make for more chances to overtake. Hopefully the removal of the diffusers will allow the car behind to follow the car in front much better.
10) Yes, they've had the best machine this year and one of the best operations in the pit lane. WCC is fully deserved.

Part of me also wants to see Hamilton ruin Alonso's day, by getting infront of him early on. That battle would be epic.

Part of me also wants to see Hamilton ruin Alonso's day, by getting infront of him early on. That battle would be epic.

It won't be epic, because Ham Sandwich will run wide like he did in Korea or even yesterday in Brazil and Alonso will cruise by.

1) Pole and winner? Vettel, Webber
2) Who will become WDC and how will the standings look after the race (top 4)? Webber. For God's sake let it be Webber. Unless we get a meteorite and Hamilton can win it of course.
3) Will Red Bull lock out the front row again? Yeah probably.
4) Any safety cars or race surprises? It would be nice if we have a 3 way smash up between Alonso, Vettel and Webber...
5) Will the sand cause problems for the track? Nah it was OK last year.
6) Which rookie has impressed you the most in 2010? Got to be Hulkenberg after yesterday
7) Which new team has impressed you the most in 2010? Lotus are looking good.
8) Do you think Red Bull will carry the momentum and still have a dominant car in 2011? They'll be in the fight for sure. But so will the other two.
9) How do you think the new regulations will make the racing better or worse in 2011? I think they should have left it, so we can stop asking this question. The racing was fine this year.
10) Was Red Bull the deserving WCC? If not, who was? The best car by far, so in that sense yes. However, the way they kept on self-destructing in the beginning means they did not get the most out of their package (car, drivers). So I'd say McLaren formed the best team (Ferrari obviously can't be that with the whole Germany thing), but Red Bull had the best car. And Red Bull's car was better to a larger extent than McLaren's team was better. Hence, I think they do deserve it.

Pole and winner?
Vettel/Webber
Who will become WDC and how will the standings look after the race (top 4)?
Please, please let it be Webber (Top four being Webber, Alsonso, Vettel, Hamilton.
Will Red Bull lock out the front row again?
Absolutely
Any safety cars or race surprises?
I'm going to say two safety cars
Will the sand cause problems for the track?
Probably not
Which rookie has impressed you the most in 2010?
Hulkenberg
Which new team has impressed you the most in 2010?
Lotus
Do you think Red Bull will carry the momentum and still have a dominant car in 2011?
Most likely yes
How do you think the new regulations will make the racing better or worse in 2011?
I'm more interested in how the tires will play a role in the season
Was Red Bull the deserving WCC? If not, who was?
Most definitely, they had the best car all year

1) Pole and winner?
Anyone but Hamilton
Anyone but Hamilton, anyone but Hamilton, anyone but Hamilton, Button
No
A moose will cross the track and be ran over by a Sauber
No, other than all the cars will come out looking like carbon fibre bodies after the sand polishes off their paint.
Petrov. Crazy mo'**ker, he has talent but has to stop taking vodka instead of water in his in-car drink system.
They were all shit. I don't remember any of them overtaking any other car than the other new teams.
I think other teams will close the gap in the summer break, and perhaps some team shows up with another "Lucky setup", exploiting a loophole in the new rules
It'll be the same. I just wish they brought refuelling back.
As a team they were quite bad. They had arguably the best car in the paddock, albeit a bit unreliable at times. A good combination of drivers with such a dominant car would have locked the constructor's championship a long while ago, not on the penultimate race.
Ferrari as a team effort to mount a charge on the last part of the season was quite good, but Massa just disappeared from the results (even before Germany, don't bring that up again), as far as to be struggling to get past a damn Toro Rosso at his own grand prix where he won a number of times.
And McLaren had a gain on form on the middle season but then also disappeared from the map.
So all in all I guess the lesser of 3 suckations deserves the win, RBR.

the mechanical grip which is probably lower now that the double diffuser is banned.
Since when a diffuser adds to mechanical grip? :p

Last edited:
1) Pole and winner?

The Finger or Eyebrow Man for a sweep.

1-ALO 2-WEB 3-VET 4-HAM

No.

Unless someone crashes into the pitlane tunnel or tries to mimic Natacha Gachnang, I don't see any surprises forthcoming.

Maybe for the first 25 minutes of FP1, not at all for the race.

Hulkenberg and Kobayashi equally.

Lotus, without a doubt. They look to be the most serious of the three new teams, and with the prospects for 2011, they look good for a jump into the lower midfield.

Yes, at least for the first 5-6 races.

No difference. And this year's racing was not shabby at all, in terms of pure overtaking it trounced the previous few years into the ground.

They made it hard for themselves by being stupid at times, but ultimately they weren't stupid enough to throw the advantage of a dominant car and the WCC away, so they deserve that one. As for the Drivers' Championship... that's another matter.

Can Koba be considered a true rookie? Given he only ran 2 races in 2009, but the experience is priceless vs everyone else

yasmarina.jpg

2 years on, Still Can't unsee.

2) Who will become WDC and how will the standings look after the race (top 4)? Hopefully Webber.
3) Will Red Bull lock out the front row again? Most likely, they are more suited to the tight and twisty tracks than the Maccers and Fezzas.
4) Any safety cars or race surprises? Hopefully Lewis will push too hard and take out Vettel and Santanderlonso
5) Will the sand cause problems for the track? I don't expect so.
6) Which rookie has impressed you the most in 2010? Still Kobayashi.
7) Which new team has impressed you the most in 2010? Lotus Racing (Go Heikki!)
8) Do you think Red Bull will carry the momentum and still have a dominant car in 2011? I expect so, as they have carried on the non-f-duct design more than the other cars, as opposed to almost relying on it like the McLarens and Fezzas.
9) How do you think the new regulations will make the racing better or worse in 2011? Worse. Red Bull X1 for 2012~
10) Was Red Bull the deserving WCC? If not, who was? Short answer, yes.

2) Who will become WDC and how will the standings look after the race (top 4)? Hopefully Webber.
3) Will Red Bull lock out the front row again? Most likely, they are more suited to the tight and twisty tracks than the Maccers and Fezzas.
4) Any safety cars or race surprises? Hopefully Lewis will push too hard and take out Vettel and Santanderlonso
5) Will the sand cause problems for the track? I don't expect so.
6) Which rookie has impressed you the most in 2010? Still Kobayashi.
7) Which new team has impressed you the most in 2010? Lotus Racing (Go Heikki!)
8) Do you think Red Bull will carry the momentum and still have a dominant car in 2011? I expect so, as they have carried on the non-f-duct design more than the other cars, as opposed to almost relying on it like the McLarens and Fezzas.
9) How do you think the new regulations will make the racing better or worse in 2011? Worse. Red Bull X1 for 2012~
10) Was Red Bull the deserving WCC? If not, who was? Short answer, yes.

Waaah, I don't want Alonso or Hamilton to win! RED BULL!!11111 FTMFW!1111

Fixed for accuracy.

Last edited:
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/ah/ahpadt/2010/11/07/yas.jpg

Race date: 14th of November, 2010
Number of laps: 55
Circuit length: 5.554 km
Race distance: 305.470 km
Lap record: 1:40.279 (Sebastian Vettel, 2009)
Last winner: Sebastian Vettel

1) Pole and winner?

1) Vettel
2) Vettel, by 1 point. VET > ALO > WEB > HAM
3) Yes
4) Yes
5) Nothing dramatic
6) Kobayashi or Hulkenberg
7) Lotus
8) No
9) About the same
10) Deserved every bit.

Last edited:
JL: As we come around the last corner, Vettel is slowing down, he is letting Webber past! Webber passes into 1st place! Webber will be the 2010 Drivers Champion! Vettel is still slowing down, he has engine problems! Vettel has engine problems! He is out of the race! Alonso comes through in second and claims his third Drivers Championship!

From $tealth on Whirlpool. I thought it was a good laugh