http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86212FIA publishes amended Spa grid
By Jamie O'Leary Saturday, August 28th 2010, 18:26 GMT
The FIA has published a provisional grid for Sunday's race following the penalties dished out to Michael Schumacher, Nico Rosberg, Timo Glock and Sebastien Buemi after qualifying.
The main beneficiary is the Lotus team. Drivers Heikki Kovalainen and Jarno Trulli set the 16th and 18th best times in qualifying, but have been promoted to 13th and 15th as a result of the penalties.
Lotus's qualifing performance is the best for the team since Johnny Herbert and Alex Zanardi qualified fourth and 13th in Italy in 1994.
Ahead of them, Jaime Alguersuari and Vitantonio Liuzzi have taken 11th and 12th with the Toro Rosso driver starting from the best grid spot of his career.
As the penalties for Schumacher and Rosberg were already set in stone before the start of the session, they dropped from 11th and 12th to 21st and 17th immediately.
However, as a result of the three and five-place drops for Buemi and Glock afterwards, Rosberg has been promoted back up to 14th. The reshuffle has also given Hispania its best F1 grid spot with Bruno Senna 18th.
Pos Driver Team
1. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault
2. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
3. Robert Kubica Renault
4. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
5. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes
6. Felipe Massa Ferrari
7. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth
8. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes
9. Nico Hulkenberg Williams-Cosworth
10. Fernando Alonso Ferrari
11. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari
12. Vitantonio Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes
13. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Cosworth
14. Nico Rosberg Mercedes *
15. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Cosworth
16. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari **
17. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari
18. Bruno Senna HRT-Cosworth
19. Sakon Yamamoto HRT-Cosworth
20. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth ***
21. Michael Schumacher Mercedes ****
22. Pedro de la Rosa Sauber-Ferrari
23. Lucas di Grassi Virgin-Cosworth
24. Vitaly Petrov Renault
* Five-place penalty for gearbox change
** Three-place penalty for impeding Rosberg
*** Five-place penalty for impeding Yamamoto
*** 10-place penalty for Barrichello incident in Hungary
No. Take Spa 2001 or Magny-Cours 1999, a couple of drivers dropped outside the 107% window during a rainy qualifying but were allowed to race.Wow, there are 6 drivers plus Vitaly outside the 107% rule (unless I've done my math wrong). Will that rule apply for rainy qualifying sessions too?