2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

Bruno Senna: overrated? Or is it the surname that makes him promise so much? Discuss. :)

There is no way in hell you can even begin to discuss him if he's in the car he is now.

Bruno Senna: overrated? Or is it the surname that makes him promise so much? Discuss. :)

There is no way in hell you can even begin to discuss him if he's in the car he is now.

Seconded.

I'd like to point out the 2001 F1 season, namely the results of Minardi. Marquez finished ahead of his teammate in the overall results (second-to-last, predictably, as a Minardi Driver), eventhough he missed the last three races.

The teammate beaten by Marquez back then is belived to have delivered the drive of his life in this year's Monaco GP - Fernando Alonso.

There's just no way to judge a driver if he's driving a Minardi. And the main difference between HRT and Minardi is the sad lack of personalities like Stoddart and miracle worker Brunner.

There's just no way to judge a driver if he's driving a Minardi. And the main difference between HRT and Minardi is the sad lack of personalities like Stoddart and miracle worker Brunner.

Exactly. Its not who you are its what you drive. I honestly wonder how Lewis Hamilton would have got along if he had to come up the same F1 career path as say Mark Webber? Better or worse?

Hell even look at MSC. His first real (we'll ignore that one Jordan drive) F1 experience was in a car and team that was in the Top 4 at the time. Put him in one of the backmarker cars of that year and we'll see how far he gets.

..However..

Its up to the driver to negotiate, bribe and blackmail his way into a team etc with competitive machinery. I know with the cost of F1 these days just getting to F1 is a incredible effort in itself. I suppose it depends as a driver, how much money you can possibly bring to a team. If Senna was loaded (with sponsors and big manufacturer $$) it wouldn't surprise me if one of the big teams would pick him up and he would be instantly competitive.

Also...

It was said that in the 80's cars with "not so stiff chassis's" could be scarcely competitive on tight, narrow and twisty tracks especially when rain was added and a driver who wouldn't normally shine, struck gold and off he would go. Now days with modern materials and crash standards this advantage has disappeared. (I remember reading this in a article about, I think Frank Williams years ago)

Just look at the careers of drivers like say Alesi...

Last edited:
Hell even look at MSC. His first real (we'll ignore that one Jordan drive) F1 experience was in a car and team that was in the Top 4 at the time. Put him in one of the backmarker cars of that year and we'll see how far he gets.

Well even then, that Jordan was a pretty damn good car. De Cesaris actually had a realistic shot at winning the 1991 Belgian Grand Prix...

It's both unfair and impossible to judge Senna's capabilities in F1. My gut instict tells me he would be quite consistent in the top 10 if he was given a decent car.

Seconded.

I'd like to point out the 2001 F1 season, namely the results of Minardi. Marquez finished ahead of his teammate in the overall results (second-to-last, predictably, as a Minardi Driver), eventhough he missed the last three races.

The teammate beaten by Marquez back then is belived to have delivered the drive of his life in this year's Monaco GP - Fernando Alonso.

Sorry, but I can't agree on that. Do you remember 2001 season? Marques just had luck and his best place was 9th and Fernando's was 10th. Throughout all season Alonso made much better impression and nearly always was faster.

Of course I agree that it's to soon to rate Senna now. We'll see at the end of the season, but yes, even then it would be hard.

I heard somewhere that HRT won't be getting any major updates unlike all the other teams. They are pretty much stuck with what they have.

Just look at the careers of drivers like say Alesi...
Ah, Jean Alesi, classic example of one ill fated career move. After the 1990 season he had options to move to almost any F1-team he wanted; he chose Ferrari for the big bucks, turned out to be a very bad move. From 1991 and onwards (until the Shchumacher/Brawn/Todt/Byrne combination arrived) Ferrari went from being front runners to mid-field at best.

Imagine what Alesi could have achieved if he went to Williams, or even Benetton in stead...

Last edited:
Vettel already knocking on Ferrari's door:

Vettel hopes for Ferrari move "in a few years"

Monday 17th May 2010, 18:39 | Adam Poole

Sebastian Vettel has, once again, hinted that he is looking for a possible move to Ferrari and has given us a time scale of just "a few years."
Whilst it it rumored that F1 supremo, Bernie Ecclestone, is doing everything he possibly can behind the scenes to make the move happen, Vettel insists that he will be the one to make the final call.
"I don't think [the rumors are] true," the 22-year-old told Spanish Newspaper, El Pais, "I have a good relationship with Bernie, but fortunately I will decide my future."
Talking further on the topic of a possible move, the German admitted that although happy at his current team, he feels that a Ferrari will get him the championship he so badly wants.
"I am very happy with Red Bull, I am not going anywhere else. In the future, I want to fight for the world championship, and if you look at the past, Ferrari has always designed very competitive cars."
"Ferrari is unlike any other team - it's a legend. There are other brands that achieve great success, but Ferrari is special. Why not go there in a few years?"
It has been just over a year since the sport's youngest ever race winner admitted that it would be his "dream come true" to driver for the Maranello-based team.

http://thef1times.com/news/display/01108

Might want to start by beating Mark Webber matieboy :p

Might want to start by beating Mark Webber matieboy :p

He trumped him last year. This year Vettel has had major failures in Bahrain, Australia and in Spain, and he is still level with Webber.

^
^

lol, don't even try compare Webber with Vettel. Vettel will have Webber for breakfast any day of the week. It's only recently (last two races, with a clear dominant car), that Webber has showed us the consistent speed and performance.

Webber has always been a mediocre driver at best. Yeah, he did win the German GP last year with dominant style, but Vettel has been consistently doing that since for over a whole season (and this season).

Let's not remind ourselves again of what Vettel & RedBull could have achieved in the first few races, had Vettel not been plagued by all the reliability issues.

I'm expecting to see Vettel bounce back and beat Webber (and the rest of the field) to claim the 2010 championship. Both the car and the driver can deliver the result, Webber might trouble Seb for a few races (already did!), but I think Vettel should spread the gap and romp away in the championship standing.

Well even then, that Jordan was a pretty damn good car. De Cesaris actually had a realistic shot at winning the 1991 Belgian Grand Prix...

Exactly....tho this was De Cesaris....comeing to the armco or another driver near you! :lol:

(poor guy....what a rep to leave F1 with)

Ah, Jean Alesi, classic example of one ill fated career move. After the 1990 season he had options to move to almost any F1-team he wanted; he chose Ferrari for the big bucks, turned out to be a very bad move. From 1991 and onwards (until the Shchumacher/Brawn/Todt/Byrne combination arrived) Ferrari went from being front runners to mid-field at best.

Imagine what Alesi could have achieved if he went to Williams, or even Benetton in stead...

Or even Tyrrell...it was a more reliable car than the Ferrari....

Given Ferrari's current for over the last few years, I think Vettel my end up with a dead end career move if he goes there.

^
^

lol, don't even try compare Webber with Vettel. Vettel will have Webber for breakfast any day of the week. It's only recently (last two races, with a clear dominant car), that Webber has showed us the consistent speed and performance.

Webber has always been a mediocre driver at best. Yeah, he did win the German GP last year with dominant style, but Vettel has been consistently doing that since for over a whole season (and this season).

Let's not remind ourselves again of what Vettel & RedBull could have achieved in the first few races, had Vettel not been plagued by all the reliability issues.

I'm expecting to see Vettel bounce back and beat Webber (and the rest of the field) to claim the 2010 championship. Both the car and the driver can deliver the result, Webber might trouble Seb for a few races (already did!), but I think Vettel should spread the gap and romp away in the championship standing.

I really should remember where I keep seeing this stuff :rolleyes: ....I think it must have been on F1 technical somewhere, but Weber isn't showing his hand like he used to for the last few races (Speed in practice etc), so Seb can't benefit from his telemetry data. Now this sounds a bit far fetched but its a good theory and might explain whats going on!

Under normal circumstances I do agree with you 100%. However I think Webers problem has always been mental. Now that he has something he can rely on its like a big burdan has been lifted and he can just, well, drive.

Lets not forget that Webber was coping with having a metallic knee last year

Didn't stop him from winning the German GP, did it?? Webber's performance was a bit disappointing last year, despite winning the German & Brazilian GP.

He could have done better, like this year's result for example. And personally I don't think he suffers from any mental issues, but we will see about that. Maybe these race wins will transform Webber into a real champion, who knows.

Didn't stop him from winning the German GP, did it?? Webber's performance was a bit disappointing last year, despite winning the German & Brazilian GP.

He could have done better, like this year's result for example. And personally I don't think he suffers from any mental issues, but we will see about that. Maybe these race wins will transform Webber into a real champion, who knows.

Well Webber did get the short end of the stick reliability and pitstop wise last year compared to Vettel

I still think at the end of the day Vettel (as much as I dislike him) is the more talented driver than Webber. Talent however is one thing and having the race craft, experience and how you play the emotional games in F1 is quite another. Like I said in a previous post, maybe Webber has finially clicked on what he needs to do dealing with those "other" things...

...which makes me wonder...