2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

just read that Benson blog thing from that link in the quote zephyrus posted.

IMO team orders, of any kind, even masked up with a save fuel command need to be just chucked out the window. fans, want to see overtaking and racing to the line. the teams actions clearly go against that and so too is the mentality of some drivers. Lewis was a bit unhappy even after winning because button over took him despite both being told to save fuel (ie hold position). Mclaren were gifting him the win that way and imo thats not how it should be. Button obviously thought similar, hence overtaking hamilton anyway. its that or hamilton feels like by telling him to save fuel and not telling button mclaren were trying to hand the win to button. either way its balls.

the racing should not be conducted from the pit wall.

Last edited:
what the use of a team if you can't work as a team?

if team orders aren't allowed, allow each team just to have 1 car, and double the amount of teams!

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has renewed his attack on Formula 1's slowest cars - claiming that if outfits are not quick enough they should not even be allowed to take part in grands prix.

After seeing Fernando Alonso's chances of victory in the Canadian Grand Prix wrecked when, on two separate occasions, he lost time and momentum behind backmarkers, di Montezemolo has again hit out at the backmarkers.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84539

Hey, Luca, grab yourself a copy of the 89 Monaco Grand Prix from ru (i got an invite for you...). Remember, back in the day backmarkers were allowed to stay on their line and being good at lapping them was part of being a good racing driver. Watch Prost's challenge on Senna's lead crumble as some backmarker blocks him for three laps. That's racing, so stop whining, you pussy.

In other news, Niki Lauda is looking for a new sponsor for his famous red cap.... For many years it was Parmalat.

106435805.jpg

Bridgestone increases gaps for tyres

Formula 1 tyre supplier Bridgestone has opted to bring a more extreme variation of tyres to the German Grand Prix as part of its push to try and help improve the show.
After revealing last week following Canada that it was willing to be more radical with its tyre choice over the remainder of the season, Bridgestone will bring the super soft and hard tyres to Hockenheim - meaning a two-step jump in tyres.
Hirohide Hamashima, Bridgestone's head of motorsport tyre development, said: "The characteristics of the Hockenheim circuit allow us to bring the compounds from the extremes of our softness range.
"This will give us very good data for evaluation and will be interesting for those who have called for a bigger difference between the allocated tyres."
Bridgestone will revert to a single step between the super soft and mediums in Hungary and Singapore, while the medium and hards will be used in Belgium and Italy.
Hamashima added: "The Hungaroring requires a softer allocation as finding grip is always a target there. Spa and Monza are high speed tests for cars and tyres, needing a harder allocation because of the heat durability requirements. Singapore is a high-speed street course where the softer allocation is suited."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84663

I'm really not sure on this. Surely if you increase the tyre gap the supersofts will wear quickly (great), but then the hards will be so hard they will easily last the rest of the race, hence promoting a one stopper again. What made Canada so good was the the HARDER tyres were degrading as well. So what you'd need is a SMALLER gap between compounds, with a general move towards softer tyres, using softs and supersofts for Hockenheim, for example. Thoughts?

^ditto on that. Makes sense.

I don't know, this doesn't seem plausible. Like... Quali on the softs, 15 laps in, off to hard and thats it.

it's bridgestone who decides what tires the teams can choose from???

Bridgestone has a range of different tire compounds, from which they pick two they'll bring as the soft & hard tire for each race.
The teams can only choose between those two, not the whole range that Bridgestone has.

Last edited:
it's bridgestone who decides what tires the teams can choose from???

always has been that way mate.

And TBH, their compounds... seriously, is it deliberately lousy, or because of the monopoly in the series, they can't be bothered to develop better ones ?

And TBH, their compounds... seriously, is it deliberately lousy, or because of the monopoly in the series, they can't be bothered to develop better ones ?

Many people have said this: they make the tires far too durable (or at least try to) because they're Japanese and their corporate culture absolutely hates any kind of bad publicity. And they think that their tires going off too quickly is bad publicity.

EDIT: Okay, seems like I've sold 8 out of 9 lives to Viper.

What do you mean 'better ones'? Bridgestone dont want to see their tyres fall apart in a race as it would indicate they build a shitty product. Equally, they get bad press because they make tyres that are rock hard and dont degrade which prevents the spectacle we all want to see. No wonder they want out...

i know there were only 2 choices to choose from, but i thought it was berny who made the call from which ones they could choose.
find it strange berny placed that responisbility in bridgestone their hands...

and crappy tires rule. they make for great races...

What do you mean 'better ones'?

Something along the lines of lesser graining, and "more grip".

During the ol' days where Michelin was in I seriously find that Bridgestone were actually doing something, like making the Ferrari work better. Now its just, meh, I've got 4 compounds, random pick of 2, and lets go to the GP.

I dont think it shows off the Ferrari's best side. There's just too much nothingness behind the driver's head. Get rid of that stupid shark fin and it would look pretty nice. I reckon the exhaust is that lighter shade of grey right down under the lower rear suspension strut. We'll see how it goes for them in Valencia, remember it's a massive rework to the car that wasn't really designed around such a configuration as the Red Bull was. Ferrari give the impression they're just chasing tails at the moment. They havent really implemented too many of their own designs, choosing to focus on developing other aspects of rival cars such as McLaren's F-duct and Red Bull's exhausts. So far it's led them down the wrong path. They've wasted a lot on an F-duct they cant seem to get working properly (noone can, because their cars werent optimized for it) and now if this development doesnt improve the car it'll be almost game over for Ferrari for 2010.

McLaren said to be developing their own version as well although we wont see that until Silverstone.

Race thread anyone?

EDIT: Betrayal! Pat Fry joins Ferrari! :(

Last edited: