2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

They are.

But i can't recall where i read, HRT's using good old steel suspension arms. :/

And steel brakes, apparently.

Jesus. No wonder they're so slow. That's just ridiculous. It's like a different Formula...

That's a bit of an exaggeration, they're only using steel temporarily on the suspension parts. Nobody mentioned steel brakes, and I don't think any brake supplier makes steel brakes any longer for F1 cars.

And also, according to people from within the "business", the effect that a switch to steel brakes would have on stopping power is insignificant. They'd probably provide more brake fade and wear, but stopping power is very similar to carbon brakes because in the end it all comes down to the grip of the tire. Williams tested with steel brakes in '99 to try and help Zanardi and they came up with this kind of results.

Last edited:
As long as they're not using aluminium brakes :mouse:

I'm wondering if the use of steel suspension arms on all cars would lead to drivers being a bit more aggressive....a steel arm can take a few more hits and there is a bot more leeway for driving damaged?

I don't think so. Steel though not as brittle, still won't be able to withstand the forces because they're quite thin.

I don't think so. Steel though not as brittle, still won't be able to withstand the forces because they're quite thin.

A better way to put it would be to say that steel is more malleable than carbon fiber. Carbon fiber withstands a lot of force (much more then steel) but as soon as it reaches it's yield strength, it breaks. Steel has a lower yield strength but because it's ductile and deforms it's shape, rather than shatter as carbon fiber does, it gives the illusion that it can somehow withstand much greater forces.

Last edited:
And also, according to people from within the "business", the effect that a switch to steel brakes would have on stopping power is insignificant. They'd probably provide more brake fade and wear, but stopping power is very similar to carbon brakes because in the end it all comes down to the grip of the tire. Williams tested with steel brakes in '99 to try and help Zanardi and they came up with this kind of results.

Remember reading that. I was referring more to the weight issue. With steel brakes and suspension it would be difficult to be at the minimum weight...

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but there's a pretty serious problem at Spa. There's been a near-collapse of a tunnel underneath the track at Stavelot.

http://www.lesannonces.be/videos/vi...amps/?tx_ttnews[backPid]=116&cHash=b2b23a3bba

Nobody has been hurt, but so far there's no timeframe as to when the repairs will be completed. Hopefully in time for the 1000km of Spa in May. Apparently the joke among the workers there now is that it was a terrorist attack from that group that wanted to silence the circuit... :lol:

Last edited:
From autosport:

Blanchimont tunnel collapses at Spa

A section of an access tunnel underneath the track at Spa-Francorchamps collapsed on Sunday morning.

The Blanchimont Entry Tunnel, which is located just before Paul Frere Corner (formerly Stavelot), provides access from the outside of the circuit to a karting track on the infield. The incident has left a hole in the surface of the run-off on the outside of the corner, though the only damage to the track itself is some cracks in the asphalt.

The circuit was running a Club Subaru Belgium track day on Sunday but the Belgian media reported that there was nobody in the tunnel or on the circuit at the time of the collapse.

The tunnel was built in 1978, with the last remodelling of the Spa circuit - just beyond Blanchimont - taking place in 2007.

Spa is scheduled to host the Belgian Grand Prix on August 27-29 this year. The circuit was only due to hold test and track days in the coming weeks, ahead of the visits of Formula Renault 3.5 on May 1-2 and the Le Mans Series on May 8-9.

Source - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82285

When I first began to read your post, I had already thought that it might have something to do with the noise complaints :lol:. Good to see that ridiculousness is still somehow tied into the story :p

Bahrain race edit and Q3 lap on Formula1.com. ;)

Webber to quit F1?

Posted by TopGear.comat 12:18 pm on Wednesday March 24

Lewis Hamilton has revealed that he ?wouldn?t be surprised? to see Red Bull Racing rival Mark Webber walk away from the top flight at the end of the current campaign should the Australian enjoy a successful season at the highest level.

Webber is now in his ninth year on the grand prix grid, but it was only in 2009 that he finally had at his disposal a competitive car with which to fight at the front ? and the New South Wales native wasted little time in proving his potential, registering his breakthrough victory at the N?rburgring in Germany and following that up with a second triumph at Interlagos in the penultimate outing in Brazil.

In-between there were moments where Webber threatened to mount a genuine world championship challenge ? something he ostensibly has a chance to do again this year, with the Adrian Newey-designed Red Bull RB6 widely regarded as one of the very quickest cars in the field. And at 33, and with the rumours that rallying refugee Kimi Raikkonen is already being lined up to take his place in 2011, Webber could be considering imminent retirement, reckons Hamilton.

?I don?t know how long he plans to stay in Formula 1, but I get the sense that it?s one of the years he wants to finish on top and perhaps call it a day,? says the McLaren man, ahead of this weekend?s race down under. ?He has the best chance to end on that high this year, and I wouldn?t be surprised if he is considering it.?

Source

Rumours of driver changes starting already...it's interesting, but way to early in the season to make anything of it.

And why are these 'rumours' all coming from Lewis?

I remember people speculating that Kimi would be going to Red Bull in 2011 when it was revealed that his rallying contract was only for this year, but IMO it's really too early to make anything out of this news.

Personally, I would like to see Kimi back in F1, but I also don't see any reason why Webber would want to retire, especially when the Red Bull car did so well last year and will (most probably) do rather well this year too.

:|