2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

It's pretty, and I see two, maybe 3 overtaking spots. It seems like all the grandstands would have to be on the infield, rather than on the outside.

another view of the track layout
MMC_racingtrack_52908.jpg

On board of the Monticello Motor Club
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsPAZji4xUY[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2O4A_StX34&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

Last edited:
One thing I do miss of Toyota is that the drivers would always be battling with each other, it was great to see.

I love how he didn't mention Jonathan Legard in the briefing meeting part :lol:.

Anyways, Jake seems to be a stand up guy. I liked that.

On a random note....

Must be really hard for David Coulthard to comment on McLaren vs RBR... I mean RBR was kind of "his" team, while saying that Hamilton is quick and just needs to stay out one more lap to overtake Webber.
Its like going "Yeah if the rival team went at full pelt he would cream my own".....

Don't forget that he was at McLaren himself. I think it's OK right now because he's been at both teams...eventhough his McLaren experience wasn't fantastic from what he says...

eventhough his McLaren experience wasn't fantastic from what he says...

He wasn't happen about the driver status in the team. Ron Dennis, as usual, was biased towards one of his drivers. Mika was the undisputed #1 driver in the team, and was clearly treated differently. This was because Mika had a really close relationship with Ron Dennis, ever since Mika survived that horrendous crash in the '95 Australian GP free practice. It's understandable that David is still a little upset about all those team orders he received in the past that gave Mika the race wins.

Must be really hard for David Coulthard to comment on McLaren vs RBR... I mean RBR was kind of "his" team, while saying that Hamilton is quick and just needs to stay out one more lap to overtake Webber.

Well, the BBC has made fun of David's pro-RBR bias since forever. Remeber the pre-season Forum where they took turns in predicting who will win what? At some point, they stopped asking David and just assumed he'd say "Red Bull" anyways. I guess it's the F1 team's way of staying impartial when clearly one of your hosts is not ;)

Red Bull will let Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel race

Red Bull drivers Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber will be allowed to continue to race each other despite their crash while leading the Turkish Grand Prix.
The two collided when Vettel tried to take the lead from Webber, handing title rivals McLaren a one-two finish.
Team principal Christian Horner told BBC Sport: "We won't be instructing one driver or the other to concede or overtake.
"They will be racing each other; the most important thing is they respect they are driving for a team and I believe they do."
Horner, in an exclusive interview, said he believed both men had "learnt from what happened at Istanbul - [that] if they find themselves in that situation again, they don't push themselves so hard."
Most pundits and ex-Formula 1 drivers, including BBC Sport's David Coulthard and Martin Brundle, pinned most of the blame for the crash on Vettel.
Although Webber gave the German only just enough room on the inside, Vettel turned right into the Australian while he was still alongside him.
o.gif
Red Bull is about racing, it's not about processions

But after the Turkish Grand Prix Red Bull adviser Helmut Marko, a close confidant of the drinks company's boss Dietrich Mateschitz, laid the blame squarely with Webber.
And Horner also hinted strongly that he felt Webber was responsible for the accident for not giving his team-mate enough room.
Horner now says the team were wrong.
"There were a few opinions that were voiced without all the facts available. Emotions are running high, one or two comments were made without all the facts to hand.
"In the cold light of day it was a racing accident, nothing more, nothing less. It was wrong to blame either driver.
"Both drivers are professionals, they're both grown-ups, they've both been in that position racing wheel to wheel, both with themselves and with competitors, and I'm sure it won't happen again.
"It's wrong for us as a team to apportion blame. They both got themselves into a situation which was arguably over the limit.
"The result was that both of them found themselves in a situation that they didn't want to be in, the result was contact and a loss of points for the team and a gift of points to our rivals."
Vettel continued to insist in a BBC Sport interview this week that he was not at fault.
o.gif
ANDREW BENSON'S BLOG
The more that comes out about the Webber-Vettel collision, the more it appears that Red Bull were trying to engineer a win for the German

Asked about this, Horner said: "I don't think either driver is going to stick their hand up and say 'yes, it was all down to me'. As Mark has said, both drivers will go to their graves with differences of opinions.
"We got the drivers together, sat down with Adrian [Newey, the chief technical officer], with Helmut and we had a very positive and constructive meeting.
"Mark is one of the hardest guys in grand prix racing, he's is a tough racer, a tough competitor.
"He's mentally very strong and he's in the form of his career at the moment and he won't give a quarter, and arguably the person you least want to be overtaken by is your team-mate.
"I think both drivers recognise from a team point of view that it was a disastrous outcome.
"They were sorry for the team, the body language between them was very relaxed because they are good team-mates, they work well together and they have raced each other successfully wheel to wheel on several occasions and an incident like this we won't allow to disrupt that relationship."
Red Bull's response in the immediate aftermath of the accident has strengthened a widespread belief that the team favour Vettel and has led to conspiracy theories that they were trying to engineer a win for him.
But asked about reports that he had told Webber's race engineer to order the Australian to let Vettel past, Horner said: "I don't think I actually said 'move'.
"I don't talk directly to the drivers until after the race. Mark's engineer had no instruction to tell Mark to move out of the way - 100% clear."
He added: "There was no conspiracy trying to get one car past the other or getting one to slow down.

"We were allowing both drivers to race and I don't think that is wrong. What I do believe is wrong that they unfortunately drove each into each other!
"Red Bull is about racing, it's not about processions, otherwise we would have given team orders after the first turn or the pit stop.
"We had two guys that we are trying to give equal opportunity to win the world championship and win races being heavily pressured by the McLarens."
Horner said it was likely the two drivers would be racing hard against each other again at this weekend's Canadian Grand Prix.
But he said he expected Red Bull's comparative lack of engine power to make things difficult on a track that features a lot of long straights.
"This weekend represents one of our biggest challenges of the year," he said.
"The next two races in Montreal and Valencia our horsepower is heavily weighted. We know we have a deficit to the benchmark engine in F1.
"With the F-duct McLaren have done a good job in optimising - that will be obviously an advantage. But our car has its strengths in other areas.
"If we can be quick in Montreal we have nothing to fear between now and the end of the year in terms of circuits.
"But we have some mighty opposition. Sometimes you have to pinch yourselves - in a short space of team this team is beating and competing with the likes McLaren and Ferraris which would have been unthinkable over the last two years."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8730296.stm

Last edited:
Red Bull is full of shit, but unfortunately for Webber it's the best that he stays there.

The Ferrari rumours were unlikely, anyway. I can't see them having any interest in him or vice versa. As for the other team, which is good enough or can take him? Ignore the new teams. He's not interested in Sauber, FI, Toro Rosso, Williams because they're not doing well. And McLaren and Mercedes have pretty set drivers. So RBR is seemingly the worst choice, but it's the only choice.

I think that's why he's signing 1 year as well. Have a look-see next year.

Massa to stay with Ferrari till 2012:
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/6/10881.html
Ferrari have announced Felipe Massa will continue to drive for the team until the end of the 2012 season. Massa started to race for Ferrari in 2006, following a stint at Ferrari-engined Sauber, and over his 69 Grands Prix with the Italian outfit has taken 11 wins, 30 podiums, 15 pole positions, 12 fastest race laps and 360 world championship points.

?I am happy to be given the opportunity to drive for Ferrari for a further two seasons,? said the Brazilian. ?Throughout my entire Formula One career, I have always raced with an engine made in Maranello and it is a matter of pride for me to be able to continue working with a team that I regard as a second family.?

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali added: ?Felipe has been part of Ferrari for almost a decade and together with us, he has grown as a driver and as a man, going through some very difficult times as well as giving us moments of great happiness. We wanted to show proof of stability for the future, believing in the worth of a driver pairing that is without equal in terms of talent, speed and its ability to work together for the good of the team.?

With Massa?s current team mate Fernando Alonso also contracted until 2012, it means Ferrari will have an unchanged driver line-up for the next two seasons.