2010 Jaguar XJ Pictures Leaked

Good to see someone else understands what me and Spectre are on about (Though Spectre hasn't posted here in a while now).

And a message to klankymen: Neg repping me just because I stated my opinion? :thumbsdown:

I didn't negrep you. But I can if you want, to show you that the first one wasn't me.

Strange, someone saying that they're BLT Master (Which is your title) neg repped me for the post about the Beetle's design being a bad one.

Well, if you do wanna know, you can bother Quiky about it... he banned somebody before for falsely signing their reps.

Another reason why all children should be automatically drowned at birth. No exceptions. If you grew up with XJs, you'd understand why this is an abomination. No one will want to buy this. Like the freshened old version, it's alienated the loyalists and I suspect it'll appear to be "hey guys, me too!" to everyone else who sees it.

Yes, an I understand this car isn't exactly what the enthusiasts want, but will Jaguar care? To the accountant, the car that is more popular and sells more will be the winner, not the one that wins many enthusiasts but without anyone buying. Like BMW, the enthusiasts were clearly not happy when they saw the E60 5 series and E65 7 series, but they sold very well. And for Alfa, the fans were rather happy when the 159 and Brera came out, but they they sell just as well? This XJ is about marketing to the younger people, who probably are not Jaguar enthusiasts, but just looking for a much nicer looking alternative to the Germans.

Guess it all boils down to perspectives and age. I grew up in the Playstation age, with full color and 2 dimensional GTA2, looking at S2000s and Lamborghini Diablo, while another who grew up with the E-types and all will like the XJs before this new XJ X351.

Just comments, no hard feelings :rolleyes:

Yes, an I understand this car isn't exactly what the enthusiasts want, but will Jaguar care? To the accountant, the car that is more popular and sells more will be the winner, not the one that wins many enthusiasts but without anyone buying. Like BMW, the enthusiasts were clearly not happy when they saw the E60 5 series and E65 7 series, but they sold very well. This XJ is about marketing to the younger people, who probably are not Jaguar enthusiasts, but just looking for a much nicer looking alternative to the Germans.

Just comments, no hard feelings :rolleyes:

Come out to JANE (Jaguar Association of New England's) car show and see that they are not marketing to jaguar enthusiasts. After all they are showing photos on the internet tubes. Note Jaguar enthusiast usually own a Lexus as a day to day driver.

The 911 always manages to look the same AND look up to date whereas Jaguar made the latest XJ's look a bit too retro. They didn't quite move the design along enough and it stagnated just a smidgen.

BUT! This new thing is totally clean-sheet. It should have been easier to come up with something modern and new, rather than have to make an old design look modern. So why is the end product so confused and ugly? :?

If they've decided to abandon the old design language then they're able to draw anything. Why did they draw that hideous mess? They're going to have to re-build Jaguars image from scratch now.

So I say it needs to look more like a Jaguar but that doesn't mean it has to look like a Jaguar... Let me explain: All they had to do to make it look like a Jag is make it look cool. No, wait... effortlessly cool... Yeah.

If there's one thing that the XJ's always had it was a level of built-in coolness that their German and Japanese competition could never match.

My car is cool because it's old and a bit rare and it looks very different to all the modern cars around it. By extension I'm cool. :cool: See? The emoticons don't lie.

But park a big Jag from the same era next to my car and it's no contest. The shape of the Jag, the curvy lines, the four headlamps, the squat 'leaning forward' look of it... It makes my car look plain, slab-sided and masculine. It makes my car look like the opposite of cool.

My point is this: The XJ was cool in the same way that Steve McQueen was cool; It just was. It can't be explained or defined. Coolness just is. You either have it or you don't.

Ian Callum is not cool. Not in any way. You've seen the guy, you're car people, you know that he's a meek, short, bald little man with a warm cardigan on.

So he did his best, he worked ceaselessly, he tried really hard..... and it looks like he did. It looks overdone and confused and messy. It looks like the exact opposite of a Jaguar.

Who knows, though? Maybe it will sell. But who cares? Jaguars are bought; Not sold... They're going to have to sell the hell out of this thing and baby, that ain't cool.

In other news:
he banned somebody before for falsely signing their reps.
What kind of sneaky little weasel would give someone elses name for neg rep? I mean, I've left unsigned neg rep before (because I'm a coward) but to come up with the idea of using someone elses name is just unspeakably... fiendish.

Last edited:
:lol: Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I think it's nothing special.

Wrong. This idea is one of the most easily disproved statements, EVER. Pictures of women were taken across the world, and an average consensus was reached at all the places visited - the women WE thought to be most beautiful were picked by others as most beautiful.

Anyways, on-topic.
WHAT?!

I WANT THE OLD XJ BACK. This is stupid, thoughtless, and typical Ian Callum. QUIT DRAWING THE SAME-OL'-SHIT.

Don't judge the new Jaguar XJ too soon

How interesting to clock initial reactions to the shape of the new Jaguar XJR, which are now on our website.

I?m surprised to see that many of them are adverse ? vehemently so ? despite the fact that almost without exception the commentators haven?t seen the car in the flesh, or even viewed a wide selection of views of it yet.

The car is certainly different. Design boss Ian Callum has been promising us a rule-breaking XJ styling job for two years. But I believe there?s no case for criticising it just because it looks different.

One of the unbreakable rules about car styling is that you don?t truly know how you feel about it until a) you?ve seen it in the flesh and from all angles, and b) you?ve seen it in the traffic, against its peers.

Our art editor, Peter Charles, who knows about such things, refers to something he calls ?Angel of the North? syndrome. When the idea of placing Anthony Gormley?s mighty sculpture beside the A1 was first mooted, many people were vehemently opposed to it and said so, very loudly. Now, says Peter, it?s a much-loved landmark and if anyone tried to take it down there?d be a riot.

When assessing the XJ, I reckon we should bear this in mind...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/desi...9/don-t-judge-the-new-jaguar-xj-too-soon.aspx

Maybe they have a point, but I really doubt that it's going to be better than the old XJ.

I found another picture of the XJ on Autocar:

979996468356x236.jpg

Edit: Found something interesting about the new XJ's design on the Top Gear website:

These are the first proper photos of the new Jaguar XJ, leaked onto the web before the car's official unveiling this evening.

When we say ?new', we really mean it: this is the first major departure from the visual template of the original XJ way back in 1968, and - well, it's a bit different, isn't it?

Take a look at that arse. Even Ian Callum, the designer of the XJ, admits it's not an easy shape to swallow. Er, figuratively, we mean.

"I know you're struggling with the rear end of this car," says Callum. "Lots of people will. That's the point."

Callum is pitching the XJ as a design for the future, a shape that might challenge people now but will look right, glamorous even, once we've all got used to it.

Time will tell, but beneath the XF-made-bigger shell, there's lots of good stuff here. The basic structure develops that of the current XJ, with a bonded aluminium chassis that's around 200kg lighter than its main rivals.

Engines will follow the lead of the XF, so we'll see the new 5.0-litre direct injection V8 in normally aspirated or supercharged guise plus the two 3.0-litre V6 turbodiesels in 237 or 271bhp forms.

On the inside, things are spectacular: leather and wood alongside touch-screen telematics and a 20-speaker Bowers & Wilkins stereo. Our man Jason Barlow got an early look at the XJ and described it as ?the most convincing luxury saloon this side of the Rolls-Royce Phantom': high praise indeed.

But until we drive it later this year, much of the pre-match chat will doubtless focus on the XJ's looks - in particular that arse. What do you think?

Last edited:
Found some more pictures, they're pretty much the same as others I've shown, except one has different colouring and one is zoomed out.

2010-jaguar-xj_100183560_l.jpg

_46035293_jaguar.jpg

Also, I found some close ups of details of the car, I'll be posting those in a few minutes.

Maybe they have a point, but I really doubt that it's going to be better than the old XJ.

I found another picture of the XJ on Autocar:

979996468356x236.jpg

somehow the trunk reminds me of this one's:

2008-Mansory-Bentley-Continental-GT-and-GTC-GTC-Rear-And-Side-1024x768.jpg

I'm curious though, how many of you who are steadfast in your resolve that changing the XJ is sacrilege were willing to buy a new XJ? Not this model but the outgoing version. The problem is it wasn't selling, because the market it is aimed at requires that the car be more modern in appearance and the people that did want one weren't buying because they either already had the old XJ which was nearly exactly the same car, or they decided upon something else after looking at its competitors.

I'm curious though, how many of you who are steadfast in your resolve that changing the XJ is sacrilege were willing to buy a new XJ? Not this model but the outgoing version. The problem is it wasn't selling, because the market it is aimed at requires that the car be more modern in appearance and the people that did want one weren't buying because they either already had the old XJ which was nearly exactly the same car, or they decided upon something else after looking at its competitors.

I would definitely buy one if I had money and a license, but I don't.

Edit: I've uploaded the close up pictures

979910363513356x236.jpg

9799103642186356x236.jpg

9799103642780356x236.jpg

9799103643343356x236.jpg

979910364544356x236.jpg

97991036460356x236.jpg

9799103710531356x236.jpg

9799103711563356x236.jpg

979910371194356x236.jpg

9799103918506356x236.jpg

979910391968356x236.jpg

jaguar_100183569_m.jpg

jaguar_100183570_m.jpg

jaguar_100183571_m.jpg

Edit 2: Found another picture. It's the first of the lot that wasn't taken in a studio, the car is outside and moving.

0709tmp1.jpg

Edit 3: I've found all the official shots of the car, plus a spy shot of the interior.

25699124354347356x236.jpg

779923140386356x236.jpg

Jaguar-XJ_2010_1600x1200_wallpaper_.jpg

JaguarXJinterior.gif

jaguar-xj-1.jpg

Last edited:
9799103642780356x236.jpg

This is just the most odd feature on the car that begs for it to be seen in sheet metal. You can see why they painted the metal below so the panoramic roof line would be all black

9799103643343356x236.jpg

979910364544356x236.jpg

But its an odd note and thats just one thing that I have to see in person from the photos its just ODD

I found out when the car's going to be unveiled. Jay Leno will be unveiling it with Jaguar at 3:30 PM EST at the Saatchi Gallery in London. There are live feeds out there on the internet, I'll try and find one and post it here.

Edit: There's a live feed here: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/jaguar-xj-pics-leaked/241395

It says the time is 8:15 PM, but I don't know what time zone that is. Even so, my other source said 3:30 PM EST, not 3:15 PM. If you want to watch, I recommend being ready at 3:10 PM EST. Ignore the wrong dates written, it's just a typo.

And before I finish, there's yet another picture. It's another official one that I didn't spot earlier of the underpinnings of the car.

Jag_xj.jpg

Last edited:
Edit 2: Found another picture. It's the first of the lot that wasn't taken in a studio, the car is outside and moving.

0709tmp1.jpg

Now that is a very flattering angle for that car. I do miss the quad headlights though; even BMW stuck with them in the Bangle era.

I want to see it in black, because that is a requisite for any Jag sedan. I really don't know why they chose Silver for these shots because its one of the least flattering colors for the rear end of the car...