Ownership Verified: 2010 Mazda RX-8 R3 - still Wankelin

thevictor390

Teen Wankeler
Car(s)
'17 Mazda MX-5 RF, '89 Toyota Blizzard SX5
As many of you already know (I haven't exactly been discreet about it), I just purchased a slightly used 2010 Mazda RX-8 R3 model in Michigan, and have been working out how to get it back here to MA. I am happy to report that the first leg of the journey is successful, and courtesy of CrazyRussian540, we have a video update!

UPDATE: Still no real pics as the car went straight to the garage for now, unfortunately I am unable to drive it until the MA RMV gets off their asses and gets me a title/registration. But here's what went down and some initial impressions:

The deal was originally closed through email and cell phone. Paperwork was overnighted to me, which I signed and returned with payment. I took out a loan from my local bank but it is not against the car, so I own the car outright :D

I started to look for shipping companies and it looked like it was going to be at least $500. I called two places and didn't hear back from either. After a lot of consideration, I decided to go and get the car myself. This is way out of my comfort zone but I could really see myself regretting missing the opportunity.

CrazyRussian540 and I have known each other since long before we joined this forum, and we were discussing my plans for the trip, when he pointed out that Pittsburgh is not all that far out of the way. At least, it would bring me a lot closer than I ever would be normally. So the plan formed to stay at his place for a day which also let me stop and get some sleep rather than finding a hotel or doing the whole drive in one go.

I left for the car on a Saturday morning, and two planes later (the first of which was an awesome prop plane), arrived at DTW. I had arranged for a local airport shuttle to Ann Arbor, where the car was waiting at a Toyota dealer, of all places. The drive from the airport was uneventful, but the dealership was completely packed. It took 45 minutes to get a chance to sit down with the salesman, which I was not particularly happy about, but after sorting out taxes, I was quickly on my way. The car drew a lot of attention as I was waiting, especially next to all those Priuses :)

5 hours to Pittsburgh, and all I have to say is that Michigan is boring. Flat, straight, level, not even any scenery along the road. Pavement quality was poor and I dodged some massive potholes at highway speeds.

Ohio was much nicer though not any more interesting, and the toll was quite high at the end of the road. I was in Pittsburgh by 9 PM. First impressions of the car were a bit worrying, on one hand, it was great to be able to use cruise control, stick it in 6th, and just leave it for hours. Hills and passing were not a problem, whereas in the old car, a downshift or two is absolutely needed. But on the downside, cruising speed is about 4000 RPM and the exhaust is just a bit too loud for my liking, plus the harsh ride did not take nicely to old cement roads, becoming quite bouncy at times. I couldn't find the audio input so my audiobook and podcasts could not be utilized. Several times I stalled when leaving the highway, forgetting about the stick altogether :blush:

I had a great time in Pittsburgh and a small taste of Greek life that I was never part of myself. Though the city wasn't really anything to write home about, Carnegie Mellon has some very interesting architecture, including a 40-story "cathedral of learning" that dwarfed the actual church right next to it in both size and grandeur. :lol: During this time we researched and discovered the location of the elusive input jack in my car, turns out it's at the back of the center console.

The drive back from Pittsburgh was long but at least I had my audio. I'm no audiophile but the Bose speakers are quite good, a step up from the Bose system in my old car. There were a few hair-raising moments in New York due to my inexperience but I managed. I was really done by the end of it though, the last 50 miles were torture.

I'm still quite shaky switching gears but after 840 miles, I think I can say that I can drive stick, and that my car has a reasonable level of comfort :). It's such a different animal from the old one, the sound it makes at high RPM is just terrifying, and the blue looks sinister rather than ostentatious. Getting back into my old car I already find myself stomping on the clutch that isn't there, and lamenting the lack of power. This thing needs to get back on the road ASAP!

Big thanks to CrazyRussian for assistance with planning, lodging, and for pushing me to actually do something that I will remember for years to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
And here is the video.

Sorry about the terrible wind noise. Also filming off my iPhone 4S, so don't expect professional quality cinematography.

This is the first time I've posted a video containing my voice online, and I was not aware I sounded like that.

Last edited:
It is very windy here, sorry for all the wind noise. I will have some proper picture when I get home :D. As for the color, that is the whole reason for the hassle of buying a car so far away. There was a red one right in my home town, same age, same mileage, same price, but my old car was red and the blue is much better looking, not to mention rarer.

Does anyone have any advice on the air filter? From what I hear it makes no difference and can even be detrimental. I do have the stock parts.

Go back to stock. If you find something that's actually made for your RX-8 then get that if you please.

Very nice car and I approve of the color :D

My initial reaction was...I need to get some of that carbon fiber tape:)

Congrats :)

We finally converted you over to a knob and stick lover. :p

Congrats on the car! It looks great! :thumbup:

Am I the only one who thinks thevictor looks uncannily like Harry Potter...o_O

Last edited:
i guess the PO of the car wanted to have racing beat parts but was to cheap to actually buy any lol

those recaros are awesome! and i would personally keep the carbon fiber vinyl on the front bumper cuz i looks cool :p

Everyday I'm Wankelin' :p

Usually I wouldn't see the point of buying a slightly newer version of a car you already own, but this makes perfect sense. It looks so damn cool, and good job finally getting the gearbox the car deserves.

Congrats on getting the same car! :p :tease: jk jk

It looks really awesome! You have to do something about the tinted fog lamps though. ;)

How much of the orange Tupperware under the hood is stock?

Also CrazyRussian: I suggest a name change to CrazyAmerican540 solely based on your accent. :p

Thats just what I wanted to here <_<

But then again, I have lived in America for the last 19 years (out of 21 total). But, I'm pretty sure I don't actually sound like that in real life.

Last edited:
Thats just what I wanted to here <_<

But then again, I have lived in America for the last 19 years (out of 21 total). But, I'm pretty sure I don't actually sound like that in real life.

That is what you sound like. Your own perceived voice is different for a variety of reasons. Three years from birth isn't enough to develop and keep an accent. Otherwise I'd sound like an Aussie.