Unveiled: 2011 BMW 1 Series (F20)

Chris Bangle leaves BMW, BMW gets ugly, you can't explain that.

So uhm, is this going to be FWD or still RWD?

It uses the same platform as the next generation 3-Series, so I guess it's RWD.

The current model looked ugly as well when it was presented, but now it's very nice to me particularly after the facelift in 2007. And compared to the new one it's simply perfect :)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I actually don't mind the look of it. It isn't good looking but it isn't that bad. I never liked the original 1 series when it first came out but did come round to it eventually.

I am a bit worried though how BMW will do the coupe. I love the current coupe.

Bangle used the so-called 'flame surfacing' to make the body of the car more taught and muscular. The post-bangle cars need to retain the sensibility of that design technique (to maintain a clear continuation), but the integrity of it is clearly lost with bangle. The new models look saggy, bloated, and just awkward.

I just cannot imagine how this godawful design made it past all the meetings and approval procedures.

It boggles the mind how anyone actually thought those headlights were good looking. The whole thing just looks so... dopey and un-BMW-like. It almost reminds me of... a Hyundai from back when Hyundais were still ugly. As much as I yelled at Bangle, it seems like they were in too big of a rush to move past his influence, and so they went and fucked up in the opposite direction. Moderation, people. It's good for you.

I just read on pistonheads that there will be a 128i version. With 245 hp no less.

Saddly, this will not be an I6 but a turbo 4....... oh dear.

Theyre also saying it will keep its RWD layout and come with either a 6 spd manual or 8 spd auto.

Last edited:
I just read on pistonheads that there will be a 128i version. With 245 hp no less.

Saddly, this will not be an I6 but a turbo 4....... oh dear.

A turbo 4 should be lighter and have the weight set further back than an I6, so it's not all bad. Also, it'll make the 128i/135i comparison the modern version of the 318is/325is one 25 years ago. :)

Theyre also saying it will keep its RWD layout and come with either a 6 spd manual or 8 spd auto.

:dance:

That's not something they're just saying. The new 1-series is official, and there will indeed be an 8-speed auto on the options list. To begin with, BMW will only offer two petrol versions (in Denmark at least), the 116i and the 118i. They are both (just like the new 28i engine) four-cylinder units and feature twin-scroll turbo-technology, producing 136 and 170 hp respectively.

This is the car from another angle with bigger rims
http://img38.imageshack.**/img38/5541/attachmentgu.jpg

This is the car with the M Sport Pack
http://img638.imageshack.**/img638/383/2012bmw1seriesmsport01.jpg

Better, no?