2011 engine proposals

Red_Bull

Gives you wings?
ITV said:
The proposals were sent to the manufacturers, and not the teams? management, directly as they mainly concern powertrain (engine) regulations.

And these proposals include a turbo-compounded 2.2-litre V6 engine formula, with the power units to run on bio-fuel rather than the current unleaded fuel.

The engines would produce around 770bhp (including a kinetic energy recovery system) with the maximum revs limited to 10,000rpm.

Engines would be required to last five grands prix, as opposed to the two currently, with the fuel savings thanks to the lower revs expected to be about 30 per cent.

Further mooted proposals include cars to be fitted with traction control, four-wheel drive and a 13-second-per-lap, driver controlled, power-boost function in a bid to aid overtaking.

The document also states that all development that cannot be classified as powertrain development ? for example aerodynamics ? should be ?severely constrained?.

In addition to all current F1 manufacturers, the document was sent to both Ford and Volkswagen-Audi, who may join the sport in the future.

Source

I dont agree with the engines having to last five races, or the 10000rpm rev limit, but on the whole, the proposals sound pretty good and are probably a step in the right direction in their cost cutting measures and environmental impact.

Just as long as they still sound loud, and the speeds up, it will be ok.

As long as they use proper slick, loud engines, and maybe that split rear wing, it will be okay, and a lot more manufacturer joining, F1 of the future! :)

I don't think that even half of those will happen. Currently FIA is banning Traction control so I don't think that they will allow it after they manage to ban it again... F1 tech is being restricted more and more anyway. And I don't mean aerodynamics or engine. I mean the computers that controll the engine and everything soon all teams will use the same computer systems and that will make banning of TC possible. I hope.

10 000rpm. A huge disapoiment. :| Car manufaturers allready hate that their engines are being restricted. Atleast Renault has said it hates it and makes them use MORE MONEY to catch up to the leading teams. It will allso change the sound of F1 cars... it is stupid. Oh yeah... turbos... never gonna happen.

Max Mosley try to get this through your thick skull:
IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE F1 TEAMS USE LESS MONEY !! !!

/spam :)

Last edited:
i'm all for the powerboost thingy

not for the TC and 4wd though

4wd F1 car? just sounds wrong

The only thing that sounds good is the powerboost button.

The only thing that sounds good is the powerboost button.

Agreed. It will be interesting to see if it will make overtaking easier or harder or will it affect it atall. I don't think it will change anything.

The big thumbs-down from me - AWD? Turbos doing only 10,000rpm? This is quite possibly Max's worst idea yet - and that's saying something.

As for cost-cutting - give up Max. As Cpt. J said, you can't stop F1 teams spending money, and as long as it's coming in, they'll spend it. Besides which, introducing yet another engine formula is going to increases costs further due to all the new development work required.

And as I said regarding Honda's Earth car - it's motor racing for christ's sake - surely we're allowed a slightly guilty pleasure, and besides the amount of pollution created is just so negligible in the grand scheme of things that it's not even worth mentioning.

Summing up - shove it up your arse Max.

I've thought about this more now.

The thing that interests me is that they supplied the information to Ford and Volkswagon/Audi. The latter would be brilliant for F1.

Bio-fuel isnt a problem with me, as it would get the oil companies researching it more and would probably make it more readily available at the servo. Maybe instead of 13 second per lap power boost, they could give them 60 seconds only per race. T/C, well they are going to the effort of banning it, although one could think that if they are planning for it to come back, then maybe their system they dont have faith in the system they will be using to control it??

They need to offer full slicks and wide track cars again as an incentive to go ahead with things.

If they bring them back Slick tyres they will be rock hard or smaller... basically I don't think they will offer any more grip than current tyres. FIA wants to slow down the cars specially during cornering... that is why they only have one tyre supplier. They eliminated the tyre competition because cars were too fast, tyres were on the limit and those things made the sport more dangerous. :|

I will be very surprised if Slicks return to F1.

The big thumbs-down from me - AWD? Turbos doing only 10,000rpm? This is quite possibly Max's worst idea yet - and that's saying something.

As for cost-cutting - give up Max. As Cpt. J said, you can't stop F1 teams spending money, and as long as it's coming in, they'll spend it. Besides which, introducing yet another engine formula is going to increases costs further due to all the new development work required.

I agree, thumbs down from me as well. The only things that I don't mind is bio-fuel and the possibility of VW/Audi joining F1 in the future.

I however also do mind about the rev limit, they should just let the engineers go wild on the revs. Remember the old saying, 'Horsepower sell cars, Revs wins you races.' :)

I don't think that even half of those will happen.

...and they're not supposed to. The way Max Mosely works is to propose a range of outlandish proposals that he knows full well wont meet with the teams' approval. It then allows for the teams and the FIA to come to an agreement on just what proposals should be implemented and whether there is room for improvement, etc.

PUSH TO PASS IS BLASPHEMY

God damn it, can we knock it off with the gimmicks?!?! "You must use these tires once, but not more than 3 laps, or your push to pass button will be stuck due to a failure of your split rear wing that will contain 5,000,000 brake lights".

Limit the engines, go ahead, but also don't call them cost cutting measures. I really don't see Mercedes and Ferrari going "Ok, we're using a 6cyl as compared to our 8cyl, so let's go down to 3/4 of the staff and spend 3/4 the money".

ARRGHGGHRHGH @ YOU FIA
I SAY CURSE THEE

/rant

Oh for fuck's sake....as fbc mentioned above, the F1 is supposed to be The Daddy of all motorsports, the ultimate King of the Hill.

I mean what the hell is going onin the world right now ?? I already got a whole discussion forum to hate me (tens of thousands of members) because I slightly critisised Al Gore's hippieyaahoo-document. What is up with this sudden urge for everyone to be such a fucking saint and a hyppocrite all of a sudden ?? Surely F1 is the very last institution to save the world now isn't it ?

My head is just about to explode right about now....you can't do this, you will use these engiesn, but only with that fuel, but not as much as you want, a freakin' AWD system ???? NGHGHGHGHGHGHGHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!

I have found WRC to be MMMMMMMUCH more appealing already for some time now and it looks like F1 just continues to sink very, very quickly. It seems that FIA is trying to kill al the competition from F1. How are you supposed to find out who has the best engineers and the best team if you can't bloody use the resources you have ?? It's all just rubbish. And furthermore how are the teams supposed to be able to save money when every single year FIA decides to make yet another rule change leading to more very expensive research and development.

Some just shoot me. Just shoot me now before I blow upeverything in my sight. I am soooooooo steaming right now and aI apologise if my text here doesn't make any sense. I just can't write good solid arguments in this sort of mental state.:censored::blowup::thumbsdown:

Agreed. It will be interesting to see if it will make overtaking easier or harder or will it affect it atall. I don't think it will change anything.

You can see it's affect during an A1GP race. There have actually been some exciting races in that series.

The powerboost button sounds like something straight out of videogame

Keep this up and someone will say - lets have a racing formula where you can do what you want but the cc limit is (say) 3000 and the weight limit is (say) 1.2 tonnes wet. Now do it. F1 - RIP.

Well, Mad Max is at it again... I find it hugely idiotic that he wants to limit everything as much as possible, without realising that the teams will spend the money in any case as mentioned above. Is it nature saving that teams spend billions of dollars worth of resources on refining small details which make a very small difference? The rulebook should be opened up if Max wants to have F1 as a proving ground for new technologies. Allow in electric engines, hybrids, fuel cells and whatever the manufacturers want to bring in, and you have a formula which encourages research and development which will be usable in future.

I have no problems with going to smaller V6 with turbochargers, biodiesel and all these energy saving systems. They are only a change in the formula, and part of the sport.

However... 4WD? And traction control? Bloody hell, that is just so wrong. Fair enough, they would give the manufacturers a chance to implement their F1 research to road cars. However, I can see a few problems with that. For one, 4WD with TC means the cars will be very easy to drive on the limit and things will be even more boring than they are now.

More importantly, though, it will be hugely expensive. The drivetrain technology in WRC is already very expensive even after banning active differentials. In F1 it would need to be much tougher(provided that the Turbos will be brought in), much lighter since the car's weight is much lower and on top of all that it would have to be built smaller as well. This would cost a huge amount of money and in effect take out smaller teams altogether.