2011 Formula 1 Season Thread

You support Rupert Murdoch?
It's the most decent sunday paper you can get your hands on in the UK. Also, every paper on sale in the UK that's not the Guardian is owned be Murdoch. As soon will be all TV channels that are not BBC.

forgetting the independant there lad

Owned by a russian oligarch though. He also owns two other smaller papers that he made free of charge. But other than that you are right, and papers like the daily star are pretty much on the same level as a comic book.

It's the most decent sunday paper you can get your hands on in the UK. Also, every paper on sale in the UK that's not the Guardian is owned be Murdoch. As soon will be all TV channels that are not BBC.

I couldn't stomach giving my money to such an evil person and such an evil corporation.

forgetting the independant there lad
Does it have a sunday edition? If yes, from now on that'll be my non-Murdoch paper of choice on sundays.

Autosport said:
Red Bull Racing's supplier Renault has been allowed to keep 50 per cent of its exhaust flow when the driver is off throttle because of reliability reasons.

The original intention had been to limit teams to just 10 per cent - but that was then increased marginally to 20 per cent at 18,000rpm after preliminary discussions with teams.

However, following lobbying from Renault, the engine manufacturer argued that it needed even more throttle use for engine reliability related to the exhaust valves.

What a load of utter bullshit.

What a load of utter bullshit.

they don't hot blow, but cold blow, they don't inject any petrol
the problem is that renault designed the heads with the blowing in mind and if you were to turn it off completely, the exhaust valves would overheat and melt...

Last edited:
they don't hot blow, but cold blow, they don't inject any petrol
the problem is that renault designed the heads with the blowing in mind and if you were to turn it off completely, the exhaust valves would overheat and melt...

Isn't engine development frozen since like 1904? They designed the heads in such way so long ago having this season in mind, or have they been off-throttle blowing every since then?

Also if Renault really, really need to keep blowing, then the fair solution is to get Renault powered cars to design and get approved some other exhaust solution where the exhaust gases have no real impact on aerodynamics, but we've heard that next year (or when turbos come back?) all exhausts will have to be old fashioned "exit at the top" ones so..

Latest: The off throttle blown diffuser rules are changed again, engine mappings stay the same for qualifying and race. Off throttle blown diffusers are allowed once again. :rolleyes:

Sources:
James Allen on F1

Autosport

FIA, what the fuck? Make up your fucking mind. As much as i want to see Ferrari win, i know the F150 Italia is not the fastest car. Just set the rules and let us F1 fans enjoy the racing. <_<

I agree completely, rules need to remain constant through a whole season.
Changing regulations halfway through will cost teams money to implement changes and regain performance, thus teams that have more money have an advantage due to their huge resources. So if you want close racing as we all do keep regulations constant so that smaller teams do not spend their money on simply making their cars legal all the time but rather on making them faster to catch top teams.

The only acceptable situation where regulations can be changed is when it there are apparent safety implications as was pointed out in the BBC coverage.

Latest: The off throttle blown diffuser rules are changed again, engine mappings stay the same for qualifying and race. Off throttle blown diffusers are allowed once again. :rolleyes:

Sources:
James Allen on F1

Autosport

FIA, what the fuck? Make up your fucking mind. As much as i want to see Ferrari win, i know the F150 Italia is not the fastest car. Just set the rules and let us F1 fans enjoy the racing. <_<

Not so fast.

"Sauber are set to block a move by the rest of the grid to return to Valencia-spec exhaust blown diffuser settings for the forthcoming German Grand Prix."

http://www.manipef1.com/news/articles/12413/

I'm interested to know everyone's favorite Circuits.
Since I'm still new to F1 and haven't seen all the Circuits, I'll just list the two I've enjoyed the most, so far:

Silverstone
09_GreatBritain_72dpi.jpg

Monaco
06_Monaco_72dpi.jpg

As more and more relevations continue to pour out, I don't think there's a cat in hell's chance of that happening now. But that's for another topic.

Hell yeah.
Suzuka is also quite an intreresting track.

At first I read "Suzuka is an interesting track" and I facedesked but then I saw the "also quite" and I facedesked again.

I love Canada because it's always awesome to watch (even further established this year) but I think if I were to drive a circuit, probably Monaco and Suzuka.