2011 Formula 1 Season Thread

I
After NASCAR and such have been broadcast in HD for like 7 season it's about friggin time.

it is hard to broadcast a world feed in HD, the satelites needed ect are a real expensive pain in the ass. pushing something over your own network (fox with NASCAR for example) is very simple. the world feed of F1 is a massive network of networks and can be a real pain in the ass. im glad they are doing it but im not surprised it took this long.

Yeah, OneHD had it in HD last year (obviously...)
Just a shame they have commercial breaks and show the commentators ugly mugs every time they go to/from one.
Especially that Rust guy. Why does he talk so much. He should just shut up so we can listen to the real proper commentary like "Over the hill! It's Lewis~~!" :p

Yeah I really wish they'd keep quiet during the race. Take us back to the BBC feed where they at least have half an idea of what's going on.

So will there be members posting BBC commentated races for download, or should I start searching for a reliable source to download from?

I really doubt I can get a proxy going to watch through iplayer...

So will there be members posting BBC commentated races for download, or should I start searching for a reliable source to download from?

I really doubt I can get a proxy going to watch through iplayer...

I think you should stop trying to trick people to admit they are pirating, especially providing pirated content. MPAA pawn!

Just a shame they have commercial breaks and show the commentators ugly mugs every time they go to/from one.

Man that gets me so pissed off... Paying 25? a month for the pay per view channels (which hold all the broadcasting rights for Portugal) and on top of that you get commercials during the race. Shameless rip off.

no they hadn't...last year the FIA (or was it FOM?) couldn't decide what cameras to use, so they filmed everything in non-HD...

Well they kept touting it...so either they were lying or i dunno what was going on.

Also, mpicco - OneHD is free to air. Pretty sure on SPEED or whatever it airs on on foxtel would be ad-free...

One cut to ads at ridiculous times. They'll stay with it for the boring bits, then say "ok we'll cut to an ad break now as they begin the pit stops".... what?! The pits are the most action-packed part with the greatest potential for passing. I'd gladly pay for the BBC coverage if we could get it here.

One cut to ads at ridiculous times. They'll stay with it for the boring bits, then say "ok we'll cut to an ad break now as they begin the pit stops".... what?! The pits are the most action-packed part with the greatest potential for passing. I'd gladly pay for the BBC coverage if we could get it here.

No kidding.
More than once it has been something like "Ok we're back and everything important happened, Hamilton is now leading and Webber crashed out, we're hoping for the director to give us the replay" and I'm like WHAT?!

We get the screen spit up into two little windows here in Spain with the LaSexta coverage. One window shows the race (without sound) while the other (much larger one) shows the ads.

They never do it during pit-stops or anything relevant but there have been cases of 'As you may have seen on the little window everything important has happened'... quite frustrating.

Here it isn't allowed for tv channels to interrupt any sport events. So we don't have any breaks during races. On the other hand commentators are really bad. But with absence of Kubica maybe they'll talk about other drivers now. :p

^Aww that's great. True sportsmanship!

I've never understood why speed tv who typically air the with a few hours delay still feels the need to cut out the good bits with commercial breaks

I've never understood why speed tv who typically air the with a few hours delay still feels the need to cut out the good bits with commercial breaks

TSN here uses the BBC feed, Commercials are still played but the race is like picture in pictured with them, so you can still watch what's going on, even if the sound is that of the commercial's.

The downside is that there's no pre-race or postrace coverage.

I'd much rather have no commercials than no pre/post-race

If the world stopped obsessing over watching live you could a) download post-race and watch without commercials or b) have a TV station that shows commercials but pauses the feed for them.