2011 Mustang V8 5.0 412hp

Well I'm just saying that if you nail it while the road is bumpy...the rear end is going to go...period.

^ Fair enough.

But most cars with over 400hp will do that to you. Regardless of rear end setup.

^ Fair enough.

But most cars with over 400hp will do that to you. Regardless of rear end setup.

Um, no. Wheel hop a bit, perhaps, but not go flinging off into the weeds the way a stick axle car can.

Also of importance and still impossible to fix with a stick axle vehicle is the phenomenon known as jacking. Jacking is why you can watch a stiffly sprung Mustang go down a road as bad as Mockingbird Lane in Dallas used to be and every time it goes over a bump the car jumps to one side or another a foot or more. You can minimize it and almost dial it out with a carefully engineered Watts linkage on the axle, but by the time you do that, you've spent nearly as much on your engineering and parts as you could have just making the rear an IRS. As Ford just proved with the current Mustang - what was the difference, just $100 a car or something stupid? Then you still have all that unsprung weight...

Last edited:
You guys that all are saying "my IRS car isn't any more comfortable than a live axle car" etc... aren't getting the point.

The problem comes in when trying to have fun on a curvy road in say "land slide prone California." Push it through a car (not even to the max) and then hit a sudden sink hole or bump that developed in the road, then watch the car become HUGELY unsettled. An IRS car can and will likely go over it with little to no drama.

You guys that all are saying "my IRS car isn't any more comfortable than a live axle car" etc... aren't getting the point.

The problem comes in when trying to have fun on a curvy road in say "land slide prone California." Push it through a car (not even to the max) and then hit a sudden sink hole or bump that developed in the road, then watch the car become HUGELY unsettled. An IRS car can and will likely go over it with little to no drama.

I don't think the mustang was ever designed to go down curvy roads in landslide prone California, so I don't see why people bash it for stuff like that. Its not a high performance sports car, it's a sporty GT car (you'll note the model in question is called the GT afterall, not the RS). Using it as a high performance sports car of course you'll see some problems surface. It has and probably always will be designed to be cheap and easy to customize. You want high performance and IRS go up the model chain (the KR has IRS) or aftermarket. Bashing the car on points it never aimed for is a bit old hat.

I don't think the mustang was ever designed to go down curvy roads in landslide prone California, so I don't see why people bash it for stuff like that. Its not a high performance sports car, it's a sporty GT car (you'll note the model in question is called the GT afterall, not the RS). Using it as a high performance sports car of course you'll see some problems surface. It has and probably always will be designed to be cheap and easy to customize. You want high performance and IRS go up the model chain (the KR has IRS) or aftermarket. Bashing the car on points it never aimed for is a bit old hat.

Then why is there a model called the 'California'?

Don't forget the Le Mans!

Pontiac_LeMans_Hatchback.jpg

I have a feeling this comment was partially directed at me.

And I am fully aware of everything you have said, and agree with you. But a comment was made as to comfort, and in day to day driving, the mustang is comfortable enough.

I also agree with Nabster though, the mustang was don't desigened to be a corner carver, but I think ford's engineers have done a pretty good job disguising that fact.

Then why is there a model called the 'California'?

You mean the GT/CS- as in Grand Touring California Special? As far as I know there is no straight 'California' model mustang.

Yeah, that would really tell everyone that the 'stang is finally officially in the 21st century.. Next step: Independent rear suspension :p

You might want to look at your sig pic again. :rolleyes:

You might want to look at your sig pic again. :rolleyes:

I was just kidding, no need to take it seriously :p

Great car it is, and obviously it handles well with that solid rear axle, and now with that new engine and facelifted looks, i'm really wanting one!

Last edited:
Engine pics leaked:

x1hfz7.png

Do want.